Rail Bikes?

orangenblacksocks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by orangenblacksocks@Oct 9 2005, 05:51 PM

All those plans cost about 20-30$ i was looking for something more on the free side...

Yeah true. Same here.

Maybe just look at the pics and try and design one yourself? If these weekend warriors can knock out a bunch of bikes for themselves and their fam it can't be too difficult. There's even one that brags 'no welding',

Worth a crack I reckon.

If you sort it out make sure to let us know yeah? ;)

I don't normally post in this forum, but rail bike type vehicles are an interest of mine. One way to do it is to make an outrigger that extends over to the other track. The hardest part is making or obtaining flanged wheels to fit the track. The two bikes that I've seen were both made by machinists and used aluminum flanged wheels on the outrigger and two on the front "forks" of the bike (which kept the front forks of the bike from turning very much).

Both of these rigs were pretty awkward and heavy, and could not be ridden on the street. If a train showed up, they were difficult to get off the tracks. I like the idea of rail bikes, but it strikes me as being a rather dangerous practice in reality.

Originally posted by KaBar2@Oct 10 2005, 02:20 AM

The hardest part is making or obtaining flanged wheels to fit the track.

This guy sells the flanged wheels made out of Polyurethane. They're pretty expensive though.

http://www.railriders.net/railbike_wheels.htm

It'd definitely make for a smoother ride than a metal wheel and the bike would probably be lighter.

df200_flange.jpg

I agree that getting out of the way of oncoming trains is a major concern but I'd be using one after midnight, once the local trains had stopped running. There's still the danger of the odd worker train though. The lightest, easiest to remove option would be best.

What about a rail-board? Like a skateboard for train tracks? Pushing would be a bit weird cos you're up higher but you could jump off it pretty quick. Not ideal for long distances but might be good for a quick getaway. Better than running on track rocks and sleepers at least.

mackfatsoe, that reply had me rolling!

I've taken an old mountain bike on tracks to travel distance before... After the line was shut off of course. Being on so close to a live rail on a bike is pretty hairbrained but if you're trying to travel freight tracks I'd say just use a mountain bike, be sober and keep an extra eye and ear out.

• 3 weeks later...

i had a teacher once that used to tell stories about doin shit like this. he said that they just took the tires off and you flatten out the sides of the rim a little. he said that he took a little time and some bumps and bruises but that you could get reallllly good at ridin them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...