Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Rail Bikes?

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by orangenblacksocks, Oct 8, 2005.

1. orangenblacksocks

orangenblacksocks New Jack

Me and my buddie were wanting to make some rail bikes. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a website that has free plans for one or something like that

thanks

2. David Dinkins

David Dinkins Banned

You mean like a bike that you could ride on tracks? I'd like to see that.

3. mackfatsoe

mackfatsoe Veteran Member

Invent one.

Better yet, pitch a tent on some active tracks and pray for divine intervention.

Your mother can thank me later.

4. stevefrench

stevefrench Member

i couldnt find any plans...but i did find a little diagram of a single rail bike

[​IMG]

with a little metal working skill it doesnt look like it would be to hard to make

5. IHeartFr8s

IHeartFr8s Senior Member

damn that's the shit

6. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

7. Meks

Meks New Jack

8. orangenblacksocks

All those plans cost about 20-30$ i was looking for something more on the free side... that fucking polaris 4X4 is fucking awesome... how much did that run you?

9. Meks

Meks New Jack

Yeah true. Same here.
    Maybe just look at the pics and try and design one yourself? If these weekend warriors can knock out a bunch of bikes for themselves and their fam it can't be too difficult. There's even one that brags 'no welding',
    Worth a crack I reckon.
    If you sort it out make sure to let us know yeah? ;)

10. turbo17livesinhell

turbo17livesinhell New Jack

me and my brother were talking about this not to long ago... you would need something that could be taken off the rails quickley incase of a train.

11. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

12. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

I don't normally post in this forum, but rail bike type vehicles are an interest of mine. One way to do it is to make an outrigger that extends over to the other track. The hardest part is making or obtaining flanged wheels to fit the track. The two bikes that I've seen were both made by machinists and used aluminum flanged wheels on the outrigger and two on the front "forks" of the bike (which kept the front forks of the bike from turning very much).

Both of these rigs were pretty awkward and heavy, and could not be ridden on the street. If a train showed up, they were difficult to get off the tracks. I like the idea of rail bikes, but it strikes me as being a rather dangerous practice in reality.

13. Meks

Meks New Jack

This guy sells the flanged wheels made out of Polyurethane. They're pretty expensive though.
    http://www.railriders.net/railbike_wheels.htm
    It'd definitely make for a smoother ride than a metal wheel and the bike would probably be lighter.
    [​IMG]

I agree that getting out of the way of oncoming trains is a major concern but I'd be using one after midnight, once the local trains had stopped running. There's still the danger of the odd worker train though. The lightest, easiest to remove option would be best.

What about a rail-board? Like a skateboard for train tracks? Pushing would be a bit weird cos you're up higher but you could jump off it pretty quick. Not ideal for long distances but might be good for a quick getaway. Better than running on track rocks and sleepers at least.

14. orangenblacksocks

Rail bikes are only legal if they are ridden on dead lines...and i think you may even have to have a permit in some places. I just wanted to make one to cruise the lines and try to find trains to paint, because i don't think a rail bike or anything on the tracks would be a good idea to try to take out painting

15. trackstand

trackstand Senior Member

mackfatsoe, that reply had me rolling!

I've taken an old mountain bike on tracks to travel distance before... After the line was shut off of course. Being on so close to a live rail on a bike is pretty hairbrained but if you're trying to travel freight tracks I'd say just use a mountain bike, be sober and keep an extra eye and ear out.