Radio DJs Play Racist Song Mocking Tsunami Victims

Theodore Huxtable

Hot 97 Radio Personality Under Fire For Tsunami Parody

Jan. 25, 2005 - New York, NY

Hot 97 radio personality Miss Jones has come under fire for airing a parody of tsunami victims, Newsday reported on Monday (Jan 25).

Despite on-air apologies from both Jones and Hot 97, New York City Council members and Asian-American leaders are calling for the dismissal of the entire Hot 97 morning crew, and for a stronger apology from the station.

The controversy arose after the Hot 97 Morning Crew played the song “We Are the World”, accompanied by a skit which included the line “Go find your mommy/I just saw her float by/a tree went through her head/and now the children will be sold to child slavery.” In an on-air exchange, Todd Lynn, another crew member, burst out with the statement “I’m gonna start shooting Asians.”

Councilman John Liu of Flushing was joined by several colleagues and Asian-Americans who denounced the hosts, Hot 97, and its parent company, Emmis Communications.

“This is utterly irreprehensible,” Liu said in a statement “It degrades the more than 200,000 victims, it demeans all of us here in New York City and throughout the world who are engaged in trying to help these victims of the tsunami, and it’s an insult to humankind itself.”

John Dimick, the station’s program director, declined to elaborate yesterday except to say, “We regret the airing of it and we apologize to our listeners.”

Hot 97 posted a statement on their website saying Jones and others on the show will donate a week’s salary to tsunami relief efforts.

A spokesman for the Federal Communications Commission said he couldn’t comment without a formal complaint and before listening to the lyrics.

------------------------------------

Please be sure to phone in, fax, and e-mail them and demand that Miss Jones and the rest of the morning show be fired. I must've faxed about 200 pages in hopes to overload their machines. Now they've "indefinitely suspended" the morning show. However Miss Info, who is Asian, didn't want to be apart of the song and spoke out against it, but unfortunately she was still suspended as well.

Phone: (212) 229.9797

Fax: (212) 929.8559

E-mail: hot97@hot97.com

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope they are fired.

if it was howard stern, i wouldnt really care, cause he'll make fun of anyone and everyone, but you know damn well that miss jones and them would be going ape shit if someone was making fun aids in africa or something that effected black people.

fuck them and rap.

sure, they can make fun of whoever they want.

but there are consequences to being an asshole.

and let's face it, only a total asshole makes jokes like that

i can't wait till all their families drown before their eyes so we can point and laugh?!

who the fucks laughs at that shit?

:yuck:

I was just reading a story about how Fox chose to black out a cartoon ass in a repeat episode of Family Guy. And 5 years ago when the episode originally aired, the cartoon butt was not censored and they received no complaints.

People with jobs in all the different branches of media must have similar principles as to what the public, corporations, and fcc would find acceptable. So if people working within the same industry are worried about animated ass crack, this mistake blew over the line with a rocket. And I wonder how long ago they started working on this skit?

They should offer HUGE cash rewards to anyone that has video footage of these radio hosts getting drilled in the face with a sack of sugar.

Originally posted by seeking@Jan 26 2005, 10:11 PM

i dont know, but be sure to remember that when one of your family members dies in a car accident and i show up at the funeral and start making jokes.

<< Devil's advocate

Well, that's a valid point, but these DJ's didn't go to the victims' funerals. They said it on the radio, which is able to be turned off by anyone.

Again..

<<Devil's advocate

Originally posted by symbols@Jan 27 2005, 01:46 PM

sure, they can make fun of whoever they want.

but there are consequences to being an asshole.

and let's face it, only a total asshole makes jokes like that

i can't wait till all their families drown before their eyes so we can point and laugh?!

who the fucks laughs at that shit?

:yuck:

this sums it up well.

im all for freedom of speech and people can say what they want to say but that doesnt mean there arent consequences.

im assuming these people are black based on comments above me (im not from the US). yeah like they wouldnt react to people cracking 'nigger' jokes on public radio or anything.

just cause you got the freedom to walk upto some stranger and stab him in the nutsack doesnt mean you actually do it.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------

For the last week Hot 97 has been running a hideously unfunny and offensive skit named "Tsunami Song," that ridicules the victims of the Tsunami as "ch*nks" whose children will now be sold into child slavery. It's being played on the station's morning show, hosted by Miss Jones.

Here are some choice lyrics:

..All at once you could hear the screaming ch*nks and no one was safe from the wave there were africans drowning, little chinamen swept away you could hear god laughing, "swim you b*tches swim"

So now you're screwed, it's the Tsunami

you better run or kiss your ass away, go find your mommy

I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head

and now the children will be sold to child slavery...

Uhh, yeah. Har de har har.

You may know that one of that show's other hosts, Miss Info, is Asian. She voiced her displeasure with the skit and got into a heated on-air argument with Miss Jones about it. But so far Hot 97 hasn't acknowledged that there's anything wrong with it, and they continue to air it everyday.

------------------------------------------------------------

Jin (yeah, hes a terrible MC) made a response which is HERE...but i havent heard the Hot97 skit...anyone have a link that works (ive found a few but they have all expired) ???

im pretty sure this hasnt been posted but if it has, give it the close treatment

"..All at once you could hear the screaming ch*nks and no one was safe from the wave there were africans drowning, little chinamen swept away you could hear god laughing, "swim you b*tches swim"

So now you're screwed, it's the Tsunami

you better run or kiss your ass away, go find your mommy

I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head

and now the children will be sold to child slavery..."

All of that was on the air? How the fuck?

i didnt realise this thread and made another one in channel zero, so sorry about that.

anyway, i think its completely fucked...like someone else said, if a radio station was to make a song making fun of starving africans its guaranteed they would go fucking crazy about it

i read that the dj's and staff who played the record have agreed to pay ONE WEEK'S PAY toward the tsunami appeal...ONE FUCKING WEEK!!??? ridiculous

i hope they get fired and i hope people make records taking the piss out of them for being absolute cunts in the future

EDIT* Here is a petition...sign it

I could have sworn that there was an understood twenty year wait until

you could make fun ofsomething so tragic.

Like HIV. Right know HIV is hilarious.

Twenty years from now the people of Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, &

Thailand will all be wearing t-shirts saying "the tsunami killed my

family and all I got was the t-shirt".

Of course the only way they got these shirts was from stealing them

from the silk-screen sweathouses they work in.

I think it can stay open in here.

now let's talk shit about talk radio fools.

in my city, the jackass guys were on a radio show and they

caused all types of shit and got some huges fines dropped

on the station. The station manager released a statement

that this kind of thing wont stand. He suspended the Dj's for

a grand total of ONE DAY. Then it came out that he was one

who made the mp3 of the show and leaked it to the net.

So he'll scold his crew in public, but thank them in private.