Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Radio DJs Play Racist Song Mocking Tsunami Victims

Discussion in 'News' started by Theodore Huxtable, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Theodore Huxtable

Theodore Huxtable Banned

Hot 97 Radio Personality Under Fire For Tsunami Parody
    Jan. 25, 2005 - New York, NY

Hot 97 radio personality Miss Jones has come under fire for airing a parody of tsunami victims, Newsday reported on Monday (Jan 25).

Despite on-air apologies from both Jones and Hot 97, New York City Council members and Asian-American leaders are calling for the dismissal of the entire Hot 97 morning crew, and for a stronger apology from the station.

The controversy arose after the Hot 97 Morning Crew played the song “We Are the World”, accompanied by a skit which included the line “Go find your mommy/I just saw her float by/a tree went through her head/and now the children will be sold to child slavery.” In an on-air exchange, Todd Lynn, another crew member, burst out with the statement “I’m gonna start shooting Asians.”

Councilman John Liu of Flushing was joined by several colleagues and Asian-Americans who denounced the hosts, Hot 97, and its parent company, Emmis Communications.

“This is utterly irreprehensible,” Liu said in a statement “It degrades the more than 200,000 victims, it demeans all of us here in New York City and throughout the world who are engaged in trying to help these victims of the tsunami, and it’s an insult to humankind itself.”

John Dimick, the station’s program director, declined to elaborate yesterday except to say, “We regret the airing of it and we apologize to our listeners.”

Hot 97 posted a statement on their website saying Jones and others on the show will donate a week’s salary to tsunami relief efforts.

A spokesman for the Federal Communications Commission said he couldn’t comment without a formal complaint and before listening to the lyrics.

------------------------------------

Please be sure to phone in, fax, and e-mail them and demand that Miss Jones and the rest of the morning show be fired. I must've faxed about 200 pages in hopes to overload their machines. Now they've "indefinitely suspended" the morning show. However Miss Info, who is Asian, didn't want to be apart of the song and spoke out against it, but unfortunately she was still suspended as well.

Phone: (212) 229.9797
    Fax: (212) 929.8559
    E-mail: [email protected]

2. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i hope they are fired.

if it was howard stern, i wouldnt really care, cause he'll make fun of anyone and everyone, but you know damn well that miss jones and them would be going ape shit if someone was making fun aids in africa or something that effected black people.
    fuck them and rap.

3. Herbivore

Herbivore Senior Member

definitely out of line.

4. fatalist

fatalist Dirty Dozen Crew

Let me guess their excuse, "Freedom of Speech"?

5. fatalist

I cannot believe an entire team of people thought that this song was a good idea

6. fatalist

7. Herbivore

Herbivore Senior Member

there's clips of the interview with Miss Jones about the ordeal floating around... some people in my office have gotten it already. i haven't listened to it, but i can't imagine her having too good of an excuse for such an act.

8. KYU

KYU Member

why cant they make fun of who they want to. why does anyone have to fit in with anyone else's view of what is in line or out of line.

9. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i dont know, but be sure to remember that when one of your family members dies in a car accident and i show up at the funeral and start making jokes.

10. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

sure, they can make fun of whoever they want.

but there are consequences to being an asshole.
    and let's face it, only a total asshole makes jokes like that

i can't wait till all their families drown before their eyes so we can point and laugh?!
    who the fucks laughs at that shit?
    :yuck:

11. Æ°

Æ° Senior Member

I was just reading a story about how Fox chose to black out a cartoon ass in a repeat episode of Family Guy. And 5 years ago when the episode originally aired, the cartoon butt was not censored and they received no complaints.

People with jobs in all the different branches of media must have similar principles as to what the public, corporations, and fcc would find acceptable. So if people working within the same industry are worried about animated ass crack, this mistake blew over the line with a rocket. And I wonder how long ago they started working on this skit?

They should offer HUGE cash rewards to anyone that has video footage of these radio hosts getting drilled in the face with a sack of sugar.

12. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

<< Devil's advocate

Well, that's a valid point, but these DJ's didn't go to the victims' funerals. They said it on the radio, which is able to be turned off by anyone.

Again..

<<Devil's advocate

13. vyper-

vyper- New Jack

this sums it up well.
    im all for freedom of speech and people can say what they want to say but that doesnt mean there arent consequences.

im assuming these people are black based on comments above me (im not from the US). yeah like they wouldnt react to people cracking 'nigger' jokes on public radio or anything.

just cause you got the freedom to walk upto some stranger and stab him in the nutsack doesnt mean you actually do it.

14. mackfatsoe

mackfatsoe Veteran Member

well you actually dont have that freedom, because stabbing someone is against the law.

but i understand what you're trying to say.

15. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i wonder if they'll play my " 'sudan' is swahili for 'thank fucking god' " jungle track? it's sweet.