R.I.P. Super Man

Fugazi

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest KING BLING

BEDFORD, New York (AP) -- Christopher Reeve, the star of the "Superman" movies whose near-fatal riding accident nine years ago turned him into a worldwide advocate for spinal cord research, died Sunday of heart failure, his publicist said. He was 52.

Reeve fell into a coma Saturday after going into cardiac arrest while at his New York home, his publicist, Wesley Combs, told The Associated Press by phone from Washington, D.C., on Sunday night.

Reeve was being treated at Northern Westchester Hospital for a pressure wound that he developed, a common complication for people living with paralysis. In the past week, the wound had become severely infected, resulting in a serious systemic infection.

"On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Northern Westchester Hospital for the excellent care they provided to my husband," Dana Reeve, Christopher's wife, said in a statement. "I also want to thank his personal staff of nurses and aides, as well as the millions of fans from around the world who have supported and loved my husband over the years."

Reeve broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from his horse during an equestrian competition in Culpeper, Virginia.

Enduring months of therapy to allow him to breathe for longer and longer periods without a respirator, Reeve emerged to lobby Congress for better insurance protection against catastrophic injury and to move an Academy Award audience to tears with a call for more films about social issues.

He returned to directing, and even returned to acting in a 1998 production of "Rear Window," a modern update of the Alfred Hitchcock thriller about a man in a wheelchair who becomes convinced a neighbor has been murdered. Reeve won a Screen Actors Guild award for best actor in a television movie or miniseries.

"I was worried that only acting with my voice and my face, I might not be able to communicate effectively enough to tell the story," Reeve said. "But I was surprised to find that if I really concentrated, and just let the thoughts happen, that they would read on my face. With so many close-ups, I knew that my every thought would count."

In his public appearances, he was as handsome as ever, his blue eyes bright and his voice clear.

"Hollywood needs to do more," he said in the March 1996 Oscar awards appearance. "Let's continue to take risks. Let's tackle the issues. In many ways our film community can do it better than anyone else. There is no challenge, artistic or otherwise, that we can't meet."

In 2000, Reeve was able to move his index finger, and a specialized workout regimen has made his legs and arms stronger. He has also regained sensation in other parts of his body.

yeah yeah boohoo "superman" is dead. nigga hes a fuckin actor and didn't contribute shit to mankind other than entertainment. He gets paralyzed and THEN he get's all concerned about crippled people.

What about James Chase, the foreign policy thinker? He died and I didn't see a fucking front page on every news site. He was an editor, historian, professor, soldier, and novelist. He was the author of nine books, editor of the nation's most influential foreign policy journals and mentor to scores of younger writers and historians.

What about Dr. Jeffrey Schechner? He was a leading researcher on dermatology, particulary how to produce a better artificial skin for grafting. And he died at 39!

There are tooooo many to list that should be front headline, instead we get this fucker.

Originally posted by Seldoon@Oct 11 2004, 10:54 AM

yeah yeah boohoo "superman" is dead. nigga hes a fuckin actor and didn't contribute shit to mankind other than entertainment. He gets paralyzed and THEN he get's all concerned about crippled people.

What about James Chase, the foreign policy thinker? He died and I didn't see a fucking front page on every news site. He was an editor, historian, professor, soldier, and novelist. He was the author of nine books, editor of the nation's most influential foreign policy journals and mentor to scores of younger writers and historians.

What about Dr. Jeffrey Schechner? He was a leading researcher on dermatology, particulary how to produce a better artificial skin for grafting. And he died at 39!

There are tooooo many to list that should be front headline, instead we get this fucker.

be quiet.

Originally posted by Seldoon@Oct 11 2004, 04:54 PM

Yeah bitch, but none of them could turn back time, fly, had freezer breath or super strength. You precious dermatologist and novelist also didn't battle criminals from the X- Zone in the streets of New York either.

Seriously, dude WAS SUPERMAN.

Reading that really bummed me out.

Originally posted by Seldoon@Oct 11 2004, 11:54 AM

I mean, I see where you're coming from, but if you feel that way, you should be schoolin' the board on all these folks. I don't know anything about them, so I wouldn't have known to put up a memorial thread.

I think the vast majority of people who die every day probably deserve a thread made about them. Everyone just happens to know Christopher Reeve so he got one.