R.I.P. LINKS

Guest Pseudoprep©

Guest Pseudoprep©

We used to be good friends. Shoplifted together, painted together, laughed, and ate at Taco Bell alot. Years went by and we stopped being friends. We even almost fought eachother a few times, and painted over eachother's shit all the time. But forget rivalry. Links (a.k.a. Oluchi McDonald) was generally a nice kid who was quiet and although he was usually drunk, he was a pacifist. I regret ending on bad terms with him, but forget the past and look on to the future. I send my deepest condolences to all his friends and family. Someone should post some pictures because I have none. But, nonetheless...REST IN PEACE.

-your FRIEND.:(

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest NameDroppah'

Life is too crazy. I new big linksoe for less than a year but kicked it pretty tough with him and crew during that time. The last thing that I expected to hear about him was that he passed away, and when I heard my mind was blown. I wanted to start a thread like this, but I have no flicks, which I thought would make any attempt to big up the homie that much more meaningfull. My deepest condolences to his family and friends, and everyone he has touched during his time here, and much love to all the crew in the 303. Try to keep this shit going...I'd like to see some of his flicks, and I think folks deserve to get an Idea of his skills. Rest in Power Oluchi.

--------------MoaterOneAssholes

Guest Mr.PopGunWar
Originally posted by NameDroppah'

Life is too crazy. I new big linksoe for less than a year but kicked it pretty tough with him and crew during that time. The last thing that I expected to hear about him was that he passed away, and when I heard my mind was blown. I wanted to start a thread like this, but I have no flicks, which I thought would make any attempt to big up the homie that much more meaningfull. My deepest condolences to his family and friends, and everyone he has touched during his time here, and much love to all the crew in the 303. Try to keep this shit going...I'd like to see some of his flicks, and I think folks deserve to get an Idea of his skills. Rest in Power Oluchi.

--------------MoaterOneAssholes

Yeah, I don't have any flicks either. I was in a club the other night and saw one of his tags. I was like shit...he's dead. It was a fuckin sureal experience.:(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

LINKS R.I.P.

For my boy!

A king has fallen. I wrote this originally from my jail cell in Decatur GA., late at night , unable to sleep because I had just heard the devastating news that my homeboy LINKS R.I.P. had passed. We met at the Civic Yard in Atlanta back in 2001. Next day we dropped an ill production there that I plan on posting up here later. I showed him spots around town and he taught me how to paint burners. Also, he influenced me to do characters! (Which I love him to death for.) He had more influence on me as a writer at that time than anyone ever had. Most importantly though he was a true friend. We chain smoked Camels and talked about styles and techniques like it was going out of style. Hell, we even stole gas from BP just to get to some fucking bridge spot. Ouluchi McDonald, you will not be forgotten! Nor will the sick productions we had to put together at the last minute with scrap cans. Our final production! That shit was off the chain. That shit was riding for months. Fools knew better than to go over that. LINKS talked me into hooking up this 20 foot purple dragon. That was pure fire. It was so ill! Ultimately, he made the difference in my life that has turned out to be a true blessing from a true friend. We never argued about nothing. He never talked shit behind my back. Anyways, what I speak is the truth! Without LINKS I would be nothing today. REST IN PEACE HOMEBOY! Now that I am finally out of jail I can go pour out liquor for you. Eternal respect has been granted to my mentor. LINKS-ASSHHOLES

Sincerely,

QUEST I ll see you in Heaven!

• 2 weeks later...

LINKS flicks from QUEST ATL.

I finally got those flix scanned. Im trying to post them up here but it says no attachments allowed or whatever. These are really nice productions with characters and all. E mail me at ELEPHANTITUS3@YAHOO.COM if you can help me out. Sorry yall but Im fresh out of jail and as computer stupid as they come! PEACE QUEST

• 4 weeks later...
Guest THEMEDIC

A Lost Future

Akila Oliver had not heard from her son, Oluchi McDonald, for several days, but she was'nt worried. She took it as a sign his life was going well. Oluchi had recently relocated to L.A. and had just moved into an apartment which he paid for by working at a resaurant. His time was spent working and getting a sense of the city, beaches, multiple cultures, and vibrant urban environment.

"He was doing extremely well in L.A." Akila says. Akila came home late on March 13, 2003. She entered her New York apartment-she was in the Big Apple to teach a writing course-and played the messages on her answering machine. Several were from Oluchi's friends. "They were weeping," she says. They said, "something has happened to Oluchi." Akila says she immediantly understood. Oluchi was dead.

Oluchi was born in 1982 in Oakland, California. He grew up in Boulder, Colorado where he began to create large scale works of graffiti art under the name LINKS, exhibiting a talent for art, as well as writing. "I'm very proud of him for that," Akila says. At times, Boulder police harassed Oluchi. He had to deal with subtle and not so subtle racism. But most of the incidents involved kids who befriended Oluchi in an effort to have their "ghetto movement" with him, she says.

Oluchi attended the Art Institute of Atlanta for a time in 2001. Thats about the time I met him and we started collaborating and painting. He returned to Boulder for a semester of classes @ the University of Colorado. "He was just getting really anxious like a lot of the kids to get out of Boulder," Akila says. So, Oluchi caught a bus to L.A. without parental help in August 2002.

According to his friends, Oluchi began to experience terrible stomach pain in the early hours of March 12, 2003. His roomate says he tried to throw up, but nothing would come up. At 6:30 that morning, the pain was so severe that Oluchi asked to be taken to the emergency room. His roomate drove him to nearby Queen of Angels/Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital, a FOR-PROFIT FACILITY. There, Oluchi was in too much pain to fill out paperwork. He was given 2 abdominal CT scans, as well as pain medication. The diagnostic tests revealed that his intestine was somehow blocked and that fluids in his digestive tract was unable to pass beyond his stomach, a medical emergency requiring abdominal surgery.

Medical records from Queen of Angels show that Oluchi spent most of the day @ the hospital before being transfered across town by ambulance, through rush hour traffic to Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Hospital, known in L.A. as "KILLER KING." The reason for the transfer is listed on his medical records as " lack of insurance." KILLER KING is located between the Watts, Comton, and South L.A. neighborhoods. A county hospital, it treats people from economically disadvantaged areas, masny of them minorities. No surgeries were performed or scheduled. "Basically they did not treat him," Akila says. He was admitted to the internal medicine floor that evening, given Demerol, and made several phone calls to friends before the battery in his cell phone gave out. What happened after that I can only guess. Oluchi was pronounced dead @ 11:30 the next morning. The hospital never contacted his mother. She learned of her son's death from his friends almost 12 hours after the fact. "It was a nightmare," Akila says. Relatives in L.A. went out to the hospital and raised ruckus while Akila was on the phone, forcing a response from hospital officials, she says. She flew to L.A. to identify the body of her only child the next morning.

An autopsy revealed he died from gangrene of the intestine caused by a twisted bowel. His small intestine had twisted-the result of a genetic condition-cutting off his own blood supply and forcing toxins that normally pass through the intestine into his blood stream. Such toxins can cause septic shock and cause major organs to shut down.

The hospitals were negligent in their care of Oluchi. He was a victim of patient dumping, which is refusing to treat low income patients without insurance. As far as Akila is concerned," they wrote him a death sentence." He did not deserve to die a painful isolated death. Akila has started an activist organization in her son's memory- The Social Justice Action Network in memory of Oluchi McDonald. REST IN POWER!

>>> Im not gonna talk about how much he is missed, or how much i loved him or anything like that, any one that knew the both of us, knew how much we meant to each other....

but... id just like to say, he was one hardcore mother fucker, and he rode his bicycle to la, not the bus....

missing you always....

Re: A Lost Future

Originally posted by Elephantitus

Akila Oliver had not heard from her son, Oluchi McDonald, for several days, but she was'nt worried. She took it as a sign his life was going well. Oluchi had recently relocated to L.A. and had just moved into an apartment which he paid for by working at a resaurant. His time was spent working and getting a sense of the city, beaches, multiple cultures, and vibrant urban environment.

"He was doing extremely well in L.A." Akila says. Akila came home late on March 13, 2003. She entered her New York apartment-she was in the Big Apple to teach a writing course-and played the messages on her answering machine. Several were from Oluchi's friends. "They were weeping," she says. They said, "something has happened to Oluchi." Akila says she immediantly understood. Oluchi was dead.

Oluchi was born in 1982 in Oakland, California. He grew up in Boulder, Colorado where he began to create large scale works of graffiti art under the name LINKS, exhibiting a talent for art, as well as writing. "I'm very proud of him for that," Akila says. At times, Boulder police harassed Oluchi. He had to deal with subtle and not so subtle racism. But most of the incidents involved kids who befriended Oluchi in an effort to have their "ghetto movement" with him, she says.

Oluchi attended the Art Institute of Atlanta for a time in 2001. Thats about the time I met him and we started collaborating and painting. He returned to Boulder for a semester of classes @ the University of Colorado. "He was just getting really anxious like a lot of the kids to get out of Boulder," Akila says. So, Oluchi caught a bus to L.A. without parental help in August 2002.

According to his friends, Oluchi began to experience terrible stomach pain in the early hours of March 12, 2003. His roomate says he tried to throw up, but nothing would come up. At 6:30 that morning, the pain was so severe that Oluchi asked to be taken to the emergency room. His roomate drove him to nearby Queen of Angels/Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital, a FOR-PROFIT FACILITY. There, Oluchi was in too much pain to fill out paperwork. He was given 2 abdominal CT scans, as well as pain medication. The diagnostic tests revealed that his intestine was somehow blocked and that fluids in his digestive tract was unable to pass beyond his stomach, a medical emergency requiring abdominal surgery.

Medical records from Queen of Angels show that Oluchi spent most of the day @ the hospital before being transfered across town by ambulance, through rush hour traffic to Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Hospital, known in L.A. as "KILLER KING." The reason for the transfer is listed on his medical records as " lack of insurance." KILLER KING is located between the Watts, Comton, and South L.A. neighborhoods. A county hospital, it treats people from economically disadvantaged areas, masny of them minorities. No surgeries were performed or scheduled. "Basically they did not treat him," Akila says. He was admitted to the internal medicine floor that evening, given Demerol, and made several phone calls to friends before the battery in his cell phone gave out. What happened after that I can only guess. Oluchi was pronounced dead @ 11:30 the next morning. The hospital never contacted his mother. She learned of her son's death from his friends almost 12 hours after the fact. "It was a nightmare," Akila says. Relatives in L.A. went out to the hospital and raised ruckus while Akila was on the phone, forcing a response from hospital officials, she says. She flew to L.A. to identify the body of her only child the next morning.

An autopsy revealed he died from gangrene of the intestine caused by a twisted bowel. His small intestine had twisted-the result of a genetic condition-cutting off his own blood supply and forcing toxins that normally pass through the intestine into his blood stream. Such toxins can cause septic shock and cause major organs to shut down.

The hospitals were negligent in their care of Oluchi. He was a victim of patient dumping, which is refusing to treat low income patients without insurance. As far as Akila is concerned," they wrote him a death sentence." He did not deserve to die a painful isolated death. Akila has started an activist organization in her son's memory- The Social Justice Action Network in memory of Oluchi McDonald. REST IN POWER!

christ. thats terrible...

RIP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived