question: super 8 cameras

seven six two

i have never used one, but today at the thrift store i bought a Bentley BX-720 super 8 camera. the type of film it has in it already (dont know why)is Kodak Ektachrome 160 type G movie film.

is this a good camera? is a super 8 camera really hard to use? it always seemed like alot of fun and really interesting.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Super8 MM

Super 8 film is awesome, but is getting more rare to find and get processed by the hour. I get my film direct from Kodak, and you get quantity discounts for 10 50ft. rolls or more. A 50' roll will get you a little over 3 minutes at 18 frames per second projection.

Shoot some film soon to see if your camera even works. A lot of thrift store, yard sale super8 that run have exposure problems. My girlfriend and I have 4 cameras between us and only two are on point with exposures.

Luckily, super8 was designed as a consumer product and most cameras are VERY simple to operate with automatic exposures and everything. Know how to set your diopter (eye piece) so your whole thing isn't out of focus without you knowing it. Super8 projectors aren't too hard to find used. The film can be fragile so you might also want to get familiar with repairing and splicing your film.

So have fun. Super8 is pretty cheap (7 bucks for film - 12 bucks to process). Fujifilm in AZ and Yale Labs in WA process Ektachrome and Tri-X and Pan-x (b&w) film.

See Dad, I did learn something at film school.

yes someone brought up this topic. thank you. a fwe days ago it passed through my head to ask about this. i recently got 2 cameras off ebay. and im waitng for the super 8 editor and film to come in the mail i also ordered. i was wondering if anyone has any tips about super 8 because im am into film and i really want to get familiarized with super 8. i know it is fairly easy to edit just splicing, etc.. if anyone knows about this topic i'd appreciate any tips. thanks

Archived