Question..Raise your hand if you got dreads?

Guest Kritik

I have a good friend who has dreads, listens to Reggae and has all these rasta books. And he's white.

Correct me if I'm wrong arent Rastafarian beliefs based around rejection of the white man.

Why would a white person be all down for Rasta if it's supposed to be anti-white?

Can any one enlighten me on the subject?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Kritik

I have a good friend who has dreads, listens to Reggae and has all these rasta books. And he's white.

Correct me if I'm wrong arent Rastafarian beliefs based around rejection of the white man.

Why do some white people try and be all down with Rasta. Can any one enlighten me on the subject?

how does a hairstyle represent an entire group of people and their beliefs?

'Dreadlocks were worn in parts of Africa and Asia for spiritual reasons long before the Rastafarian's in the Carribbean starting wearing them. The Phaoroahs are believed to have worn locks, but we have no conclusive evidence to prove it. We do have evidence that King Tut had dreadlocks, and they are still intact to this day. But the first writing we have about dreadlocks is in the Veda scriptures of India, the earliest piece is dated to 1800 BC. We do have some evidence that the Celts wore dreadlocks. One of the examples is from Caesar, he described the Celts as having "hair like snakes".

Next come news of past Germanic tribes wearing locks, the Greeks, people of the land called Nazareth such as Samson, Pacific peoples, Naga Indians (known also as Serpent People).

Today in India, dreadlocks are spotted among Sadhus (holy men). Dreadlocks are also worn by and in Ethiopia, Bahatowie priests of the Amhara nation believed to be of the Coptic faith, Senegal, Baye Fal, believed to be a sect of Islam, Mouridism, also a sect of Islam, Sudan, several small sects of Islam Kenya, Akorino of the Kikuyu nation, Oromo Beja or a sect called "the church of the living god", Ghana, the Bono of Techiman, the Fitish priests, the Somali, the Galla, the Maasai, the Mau Mau, the Tanzania, the Aborigines, and the New Guineans.'

"We do have some evidence that the Celts wore dreadlocks."

that's me sorted for a tenuous justification then :king:

Guest FlamingHobo

^^^ that;s good information right there...i like the way dreadlocks look..but wouldn't get them because people are hella stereotypical...and if i were to be getting them it wouldn't be for rasta reasons....i guess if i ever do grow dreads ill just say im celtic haha

yeah.....dreadlocks......the "new" thing for high-school students this year......I've seen these morons go and get hair extensions just to rock dreads.....that ladies and gentlemen....is weaksauce......then again in the skateboarding world you have people like Matt Pailes and Matt Rodriguez who have grown extensive locks and used to rock the hat sideways........so whatever.

Re: Re: Question..Raise your hand if you got dreads?

Originally posted by BabyPuncher

how does a hairstyle represent an entire group of people and their beliefs?

Look asshole I'm saying HE associates the dreads with rastafarian lifestyle. I wasnt asking about his stupid dreadlox I could give a shits fuck about his hair.

It's one thing to have dreadlocks entirely another to have dreadlocks and 'claim' rasta if you will.

Everyone who felt the need to be fucking retarded in this thread needs to put their thumbs back in their mouths and turn MTV back on because you're juvenile ignorance is the paper I'm wiping my ass with when I take my next dookie.

next...Toyeattoywar

I've only read a little about Rastafarians so -maybe that's part of my confusion in relation to this 'fad'.

Originally posted by Kritik

Why would a white person be all down for Rasta if it's supposed to be anti-white?

Can any one enlighten me on the subject?

Well isnt he your good friend? Why dont you ask him?

If I could ask him I obviously wouldn't be resorting to 12oz ridicule by asking a question which no one has answers for so they decide to make a mockery of innocent curiousity.

Guest willy.wonka

rastafarian extremists made the rasta reigion reject the white man..but can you blame them..i mean all that the white man is know for is killing and governments..

not like they bring peace and tranquility to the world...

but on the other hand..King Haile Selassie aka rastafari

http://web.syr.edu/~affellem/dad.gif'>

was thought to be the resurection of Jesus..he is of Jesus's blood line.

he had a lot of good views and had respect from every nation.

the song "war" from bob marley was actually a speech from rastafari.

rastafari is cool in my book...

Archived