Question for the 12ozers from LA.

Poop Man Bob

That's LA as in Los Angeles, not Louisiana.

A few friends and I are going to be in LA (our hotel is actually in Pasadena) over New Year's Eve and a few days after that. We're going for the Rose Bowl. The problem? We don't have a car - rental or otherwise. In terms of getting from hotel to the stadium on game day, we're set - the hotel runs a shuttle service. But otherwise, we're without a car or other mode of transportation.

My question: how realistic is it for us to solely use public transportation for the 4 days we're there? Is it reliable/decent? Or will we just end up forking over tons of cash for endless taxis?

We don't plan on staying in Pasadena the entire time we're there, as we want to see LA, etc. Which raises another question - what the fuck should we do while we're there?

Any ideas, comments, suggestions [both on the car situation and what we should do while we're there], etc. are appreciated.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well im not from LA at all but if i was to go back, there would be NO FUCKING WAY ID MISS OUT ON REVISITING "SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN"

OH GOOD ITS BEEN WAY TO LONG...HOPEFULLY 05 ILL HIT IT UP!

......AS IM A ROLLERCOASTER JUNKIE!!!!

AND yeah id go check out disneyland again....

..... but as u have only 4 days make one of theses days "SIXFLAGS"

hi PMB.

imo, you guys should really think about getting a rental,

if one of you is willing to drive. drive carefully. be prepared for horrendous trafic

and asshole drivers. taxis will rip you off. you have to drive around to get anywhere in LA...

what to do in LA:

you guys can do the tourist tour, which is go to hollywood,

walk up and down hollywood boulevard, take pictures of the stars on the sidewalk,

go the chinese mann theater where they have all the celebrites' hands and feet on the concrete,

go to universal studios, and then shop at their citywalk where they have the hard rock cafe and all kinds of shops in bright neon lights. you can also get a star map from someone who sells them and you'll get a map that gives you the streets to the homes of the stars, or something like that...

you can go to the trendy part of melrose avenue (south of hollywood) and shop

and take pictures of graffiti in the back alleys mostly owned by the CBS crew and friends.

you can eat at roscoe's chicken and waffles in hollywood.

most of the time, all there is to do is shop, shop, shop and spend your money.

and as meateater mentioned, six flags is fun, but out of the way.

it all depends on what you guys want to do.

pmb in la. uh-ohh. hey bob, hit me up.... i'll be going to the rose bowl also (go blue.). maybe we can do a little tailgaiting before hand. i could give you some suggestions of ways to fill your time as well....

as far as transportation....pasadena is pretty out of the way so taxi's will be expensive. there is a train that connects pasadena to downtown...but thats pretty useless since there's not too much downtown. busses are out of the question. hitchhiking is gettting harder all the time out here too.

L.A. native here. http://www.mta.net/ for public transporation info.

Be sure to check out Melrose Blvd., Sunset Blvd., Check out Belmont Tunnel, Downtown, Westwood Village, Venice Beach, blah blah blah... there was a thread a while back with this same question and i went to great lengths to answer it and dont really feel like typing all that again. maybe you can do a search. peace.

fuckin eh...i had this huge ass ten fuckin paragaph uber detailed explanation of how to get to all the hotspots in l.a and the inland empire....but my comp took a shit.. and now i come back only to find theo beat me to posting the mta link..

well if you wanna slum around the I.E for a day i'll gladly give you proper directions...its just a shame i dont live in san bernardino at the moment..i'd show you around

go to Fredericks of Hollywood.

tell someone I said 'Hello'.

Public transport is probably a bad option in LA.

It seemed to me that it was 'poor people transport'.

Here you get all types on the bus and the subway

but when Iwas there it didnt look like the 'socialy mobile'

would be caught dead on the bus.

besides..... driving the Pacific Coast Highway is a must do in LA.

There's a nice seafood place at PCH and Santa Monica Blvd.

omni trans transfer routes for the IE

TRANSIT NUMBERS

PASADENA TRANSIT

Project Blowed- Open Mic Workshop

When: Every Thursday (weekly event)

Presented by: KAOS Network

Performances by: TBA

DJs: DJ Phyz Ed (resident DJ), guest DJs

Details: Underground open mic funktion featuring live performances, freestyle ciphers, battles and good vibes. Producers bring your equipment and plug in or bring in tapes. Underground artists featured every week. $4 donation.

http://www.funktions.com/la/undergrounds/h...dathursday.html

A MUST SEE THURSDAY.PLEEEEEEEAAAASSSEE PAAAAAASSSS DA MIIIC!

UH YEAH..I DONT REALLY FEEL LIKE TYPING IN ALL THAT AGAIN

so i'l just list a few nice spots

monclair plaza in pamona..its a mall

gcs clothing in pamona

ontario mills in ontario ca

headstone records in redlands

spearmint rhino?

albertos....eat the carne asada fries

del taco

try to find the sunken city in san pedro

malibu is nice

venice beach smells funny

yea it is kinda true about the bus thing in la but once you figure in the cost of gas it makes bussing it worth looking at the undesirebles

i'm not sure what types of things you're into but here's an idea for an evening entirely on hollyweird boulevard:

1)start with dinner at pamls thai. they have a thai elvis impersonator who is hillarious

http://store1.yimg.com/I/girlsguidetoelvis_1735_11622807

a fucking THAI ELVIS impersonator, need i say more??

5273 Hollywood Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90027-4912

Phone: (323) 462-5073

2)then, cruise west down hollywood blvd to cahuenga blvd (about 1.5 miles).

there are about four or five bars right there that are all walking distance from each other.

drinking booze and hitting on every girl should fill the next couple of hours.

3)at this point you should be full of thai food, drunk and tired of being turned down by all the stuck up hollywood scenester bitches that all dress as if they were the next gwen stefani/fafi...so turn your ass around and head back up hollywood blvd (about 1.5 miles) to Jumbo's Clown Room

5153 Hollywood Blvd.

Hollywood, CA 90027

Phone: (323) 666-1187

all you need to do here is buy a couple of newcastles and the ladies will take care of everything else

Thanks for all of the responses! I've decided to bite the bullet and rent the car. Surprisingly, it'll only cost us $150 for 5 days - not bad at all, especially split 3-ways.

dignan - fucking hilarious. I think your plan should take care of an evening.

nomadawhat - check your PMs. And re: Texas fans: we should travel. We have one of the biggest alumni groups in the country. Hell, our university has over 50k students right now.

slave, Carl, MOOGLE - thank you, thank you.

Gambler - I know, I know. I actually had to get back to see a Texas football game - the same reason I'm heading to LA.

Originally posted by slave_one@Dec 13 2004, 06:04 PM

hi PMB.

imo, you guys should really think about getting a rental,

if one of you is willing to drive. drive carefully. be prepared for horrendous trafic

and asshole drivers. taxis will rip you off. you have to drive around to get anywhere in LA...

what to do in LA:

you guys can do the tourist tour, which is go to hollywood,

walk up and down hollywood boulevard, take pictures of the stars on the sidewalk,

go the chinese mann theater where they have all the celebrites' hands and feet on the concrete,

go to universal studios, and then shop at their citywalk where they you can also get a star map from someone who sells them and you'll get a map that gives you the streets to the homes of the stars, or something like that...

you can eat at roscoe's chicken and waffles in hollywood.

most of the time, all there is to do is shop, shop, shop and spend your money.

go to the dresden room on vermont on a thursday night for cocktail and listen to marty and elaine's lounge act

go dancing at dirty dirty house on santa monica at the parlour if it's still going on or the echo

check out flavorpill.com for fun activities

shop on vermont and eat at the no name japanese place next to the los feliz movie theater

theres also a great shushi place in pasadena on colorado and a street past fair oaks (has an outside patio)

have drinks at akbar

belmont tunnel (if it hasnt been torn down)

public library in downtown

ride the metro to long beach and have lunch or visit the aquarium

la brea tar pits and la county museum, walk around miracle mile

venice beach

i'll try to think of more

<3

Venice beach is a must... stroll up the boardwalk starting at the south, then at the end grab a seat on the patio at "On The Waterfront Cafe", grab a pitcher or some excellent beers on tap and people watch. Best done on Friday/Saturday (well really sunday but you don't have that option).

Main Street and Abbot Kinney streets are close by, both have some cool stores and good restaurants.

Head out to the end of the Santa Monica Pier for a Margarita.. maybe walk around Santa Monica a bit.

The Getty Center Museum is beautiful. Better for the architecture and view than the art collection. Its free too (besides parking). Take a lunch up there or buy one there. Nice place to have a picnic lunch on the manicured lawn and garden. Its been really clear latley too, this makes this a must do because its rare to get such a clear view out over the ocean, to downtown, all the way down the coast.

Another way to check out this view is do a short hike at the top of temescal canyon. This is nice because to get there you take a short trip up the Pacific Coast highway. Also the first half ot the hike gives you a view of the coast and city and some huge houses and the second half drops you into a canyon where there is not a man made structure in sight. Just mountains and hills. The Ying and the Yang.

Ok well thats just a few suggestions... I really shoudl get some work done. I'll leave some more later.

it all depends on traffic. regardless depending on the buses is going to suck seriously way more than traffic.

rent a car.

to get from pasadena to the beach is a 30-45 minute drive.

from pasadena to la is a 20-45 minute drive

hustler hollywood

dude you seriously have to go to "The Hat" in pasadena @ the intersection of Lake & Villa.

have one person order a small chili cheese fries and at least one person order a pastrami dip.

you will love the food.

if you plan on going to disneyland get at me with the date you plan on going and we might be able to work out a "special discount"

Haha. Thanks, nomada. Yes, I've decided to get a car - even though I just realized there will be a $21/day surcharge because I'll be all of a month away from 25. Dammit. So that almost doubles the price to $260 or 270. But we're still going to do it.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions - we're going to have our days full.