question about the way you guys do things...

Cheif Wantalotacokkk

im curious to know if all you serious freight heads hit only one major yard in your area or if you have plenty of them to go around. I only have one to paint, and even though im careful my spot is starting to get heated. and also what do flashin green lights on the factories along the tracks mean, and what does it mean when a line of boxes has a flasin red light at the end...and also if an engine is parked in the middle of the yard with its headlights on for a long time will the conductor still be in there...im talkin like hours of being stopped there...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest me IS cool

I personally have three yards I can paint,,,, but not all of them in the same city. It's a good idea to find yourself an extra just in case the main one get's burned. I actually can't tell you what those lights mean exactly becuase I honestly still do not know. You might wanna ask ESE. About the engines in the yard there may be an occasion when he's not in it, but he's definitely near by. I'm talking out of experience for my self, so it might vary from yard to yard or city to city........ Hope I helped out somewhat... :idea:

the engine may be remote controlled(by a tower or by a worker) but maybe not...you should find that out first...go to your yard during a weekday and see how they work,and if the engines are remote controlled, usually if the engine is sitting in the middle of the yard it is about to pick up some cars, either to marshal(sp?) or take them to a destination. if they are marshalling(sp?) them they may possibly be remote controlled but obviously if they are about to leave there will be a conductor in it.

ESE or CRACKED will know....

good luck finding another spot. i'd kill for another one. i've had to cease freight hitting twice because i heated out the yard. we now have a nighttime bull so i'm forced to rush daytime pieces (which isnt *that* bad.) so just be careful...stop painting so much. good rule of thumb is no more than one piece in a yard. if i roll back through and i spot the car i dont paint that day. its kept the spot chill longer this time so i think its working. best of luck.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

the blinking red light is not on every line, usually just lines that just came, or are leaving. be careful, and layoff the spot a few months if it starts to get heated, look around for some layups while its coolin or something.

:D

an engine sitting even for a long time idle could very likely have someone inside. u make the calls at yer yard dude!!!

remote engines i think have a blinking light on top of them. i know CP is like that in toronto.

factory lights could eb anything man. u seem to have many questions. they'll be answered with time. till then u gotta spend more time doing yer research at this particular yard. every yard is different. that's why i got 1000 to choose from. all good baby! kidding... :D

man that face is just pure jokes. it reminds me of fr8oholic.

1.I'm a research fiend and have found a mix of yards, layups and in-the-hole spots to rotate. Difficult to operate when my car is dead though.

2.Things vary enormously from yard to yard as far as whether or not somebody is in that engine you describe. As fatso said, it's your call, you need experience at your spot to get a feel for what's what and when. In general, if the headlights are on, somebody's in there or is nearby, but even if the lights are out somebody could still be in there. If an engine sits for hours with its lights off, it's probably empty, but a crew could show up to man it at any time, so I try not to paint in view of any idling engine.

3.Blinking green lights at factories aren't shit where I'm from. I believe it's just a signal to truckers with deliveries, "back up to this dock, it's clear". Except sometimes they get left on all night even when there aren't going to be deliveries for hours or days. Not a concern unless the facility runs 24-7, then keep your eye and ear out for approaching trucks.

4.The blinking red light on the back of trains is an EOT (end of train device) or, in hobo terminology, the FRED (fucking rear end device). It is only found on complete trains, that is, ones that arrived recently or will be departing soon. It broadcasts info back to the engine about how the brake line pressure is doing at the far end of the train, and I think some other data.

Dr. Cracked

What do the light along a stretch of tracks mean?...The lights I am talking about look a bit like traffic lights and are usually red or green. I am thinking they serve the somewhat same purpose but that it just a guess and I was wondering if I was right.

Zack Morris

Tall ones with black circles around the lights are signals, telling the conductor stop, go, proceed with caution, proceed with caution on the crossover track, etc. They have different combos of colors and blinking or steady lights to mean different things. Also low to the ground, and usually in yards or at multiple tracks or sidings are the dwarf signals, which serve the same function.

typically, if you do some reseach, you can find a local railroad map that should clue you in to the major layups and the minor ones. when you get your timing right, you can paint just the 30 minute layups with some regularity and keep things fresh in your main yard.

of course, shit varries and if you don't get a map, you can always just follow the rail line for as along as you can which is how i started to really learn things. i still have lots to learn and it's always helpful to have someone more experienced to talk to about graff and hitting frieghts and just trains in general to really get to know your area. a few people have been more helpful to me than any of these posts because they tellyou about the realities of your location. barring that kind of friend, your own experience is the only thing that will help you hit the most frieghts possible.

Durring the cold months or winter. The engines are usually kept running through the night...Like when you warm up a car on a cold moring. All though this is an all ngiht process. Just to keep them from not freezing because engines aren't the most well maintnenced pieces of machine. So old could cause cracking or rot or in the most part freezing. So just be careful anyways. And it's in best taste not to paint close to an engine.

Those blinking lights at factories on loading docks are for truck loads. Red is when there is a truck there. Or when that certain loading dock isn't free for unloading. Blinking green is a sign to pull up and radio in for the delivery.

another thing about the idling...listen to the "spitfs" of air the engine makes...we rolled up on one once and there were so many rare cars..so 2 of us crep up to it to see if the crew was there. they were gone and we got into it...the power was as low as it could go with out switching off, and the "spitfs" were farter apart than usual!

Obviously you should hit more than one spot if it is possible. Hitting the same yard or lay-up all the time would bring down a lot of heat in my opinion, especially depending on how often you paint and how often they pull new cars in and out of the spot. Movement can have a lot to do with keeping your spots chill..

If you paint cars in one yard all the time, and it takes them a week or 2 to leave, chances are your fucked. Your spot will get heated because they will notice all the new graffiti popping up on trains that were clean 2 weeks ago when they pulled in.

Originally posted by boogy

Obviously you should hit more than one spot if it is possible. Hitting the same yard or lay-up all the time would bring down a lot of heat in my opinion, especially depending on how often you paint and how often they pull new cars in and out of the spot. Movement can have a lot to do with keeping your spots chill..

If you paint cars in one yard all the time, and it takes them a week or 2 to leave, chances are your fucked. Your spot will get heated because they will notice all the new graffiti popping up on trains that were clean 2 weeks ago when they pulled in.

True to a certain degree.......If you paint a shitload of cars there then it's going to be blatantly obvious that you're wrecking the cars when they drop lines there.....If it's a good spot then piece, and fade and cut and blend the living fuck out of the cars and make usage of them....Use common sense....Take the quality over quantity this time.....

Right on,I see people already explained about the engines running all night with or without the lights on--agreed.keep a close lookout for anything that seems "out of place"..chances are there is a crew nearby somewhere in the vicinity.The spots that I have to paint at are still active at all hours so I usually wait until they have changed the cars 2 or 3 times before I go back.My favorite thing is waiting for the trains just passing through the city..I've found many spots to chill and wait for 'em.They only stop long enough to let another freight pass or the 2 hour lay-over,but that's long enough to lace a few cars...and when you're done...they're gone..also...try going to some sort of an industrial district to find cars....I'm sure if you went on a Sunday night wherever you live, it should be a "piece" of cake...That's the method to my madness...peace.

Hey Gorbort, you're right....kinda..prick.What the hell have you been doing for last couple of days besides staying inside your apartment?...........that's what I thought.I might have some verbal "s...s" for ya next time I see you...

Archived