1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

question about the way you guys do things...

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by Cheif Wantalotacokkk, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Cheif Wantalotacokkk

Cheif Wantalotacokkk New Jack

question about the way you guys do things...

Discussion started by Cheif Wantalotacokkk - Nov 2, 2001

im curious to know if all you serious freight heads hit only one major yard in your area or if you have plenty of them to go around. I only have one to paint, and even though im careful my spot is starting to get heated. and also what do flashin green lights on the factories along the tracks mean, and what does it mean when a line of boxes has a flasin red light at the end...and also if an engine is parked in the middle of the yard with its headlights on for a long time will the conductor still be in there...im talkin like hours of being stopped there...

Cheif Wantalotacokkk - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. me IS cool

me IS cool Guest

me IS cool - Replied Nov 2, 2001

I personally have three yards I can paint,,,, but not all of them in the same city. It's a good idea to find yourself an extra just in case the main one get's burned. I actually can't tell you what those lights mean exactly becuase I honestly still do not know. You might wanna ask ESE. About the engines in the yard there may be an occasion when he's not in it, but he's definitely near by. I'm talking out of experience for my self, so it might vary from yard to yard or city to city........ Hope I helped out somewhat... :idea:

3. just~someone~else~

just~someone~else~ 12oz Senior Member

just~someone~else~ - Replied Nov 2, 2001

the engine may be remote controlled(by a tower or by a worker) but maybe not...you should find that out first...go to your yard during a weekday and see how they work,and if the engines are remote controlled, usually if the engine is sitting in the middle of the yard it is about to pick up some cars, either to marshal(sp?) or take them to a destination. if they are marshalling(sp?) them they may possibly be remote controlled but obviously if they are about to leave there will be a conductor in it.

ESE or CRACKED will know....

just~someone~else~ - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. CATS

CATS 12oz Senior Member

CATS - Replied Nov 2, 2001

I have to drive an hour to hit a good yard. There are a few local, but the heat on them cause of some younger writers not taking it cool.

CATS - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  5. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder 12oz Loyalist

Fox Mulder - Replied Nov 2, 2001

the red light at the end of the train is on every train. i think its called an EOT(End of Train) or a FRED.

Fox Mulder - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  6. Southern kid

Southern kid 12oz Elite Member

Southern kid - Replied Nov 2, 2001

good luck finding another spot. i'd kill for another one. i've had to cease freight hitting twice because i heated out the yard. we now have a nighttime bull so i'm forced to rush daytime pieces (which isnt *that* bad.) so just be careful...stop painting so much. good rule of thumb is no more than one piece in a yard. if i roll back through and i spot the car i dont paint that day. its kept the spot chill longer this time so i think its working. best of luck.

Southern kid - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. BIGMETALCIRCUS - Replied Nov 2, 2001

the blinking red light is not on every line, usually just lines that just came, or are leaving. be careful, and layoff the spot a few months if it starts to get heated, look around for some layups while its coolin or something.

8. muthafuckinfatso

muthafuckinfatso 12oz Member

muthafuckinfatso - Replied Nov 2, 2001

:D

an engine sitting even for a long time idle could very likely have someone inside. u make the calls at yer yard dude!!!

remote engines i think have a blinking light on top of them. i know CP is like that in toronto.

factory lights could eb anything man. u seem to have many questions. they'll be answered with time. till then u gotta spend more time doing yer research at this particular yard. every yard is different. that's why i got 1000 to choose from. all good baby! kidding... :D

man that face is just pure jokes. it reminds me of fr8oholic.

muthafuckinfatso - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  9. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass 12oz Veteran Member

Cracked Ass - Replied Nov 4, 2001

1.I'm a research fiend and have found a mix of yards, layups and in-the-hole spots to rotate. Difficult to operate when my car is dead though.
    2.Things vary enormously from yard to yard as far as whether or not somebody is in that engine you describe. As fatso said, it's your call, you need experience at your spot to get a feel for what's what and when. In general, if the headlights are on, somebody's in there or is nearby, but even if the lights are out somebody could still be in there. If an engine sits for hours with its lights off, it's probably empty, but a crew could show up to man it at any time, so I try not to paint in view of any idling engine.
    3.Blinking green lights at factories aren't shit where I'm from. I believe it's just a signal to truckers with deliveries, "back up to this dock, it's clear". Except sometimes they get left on all night even when there aren't going to be deliveries for hours or days. Not a concern unless the facility runs 24-7, then keep your eye and ear out for approaching trucks.
    4.The blinking red light on the back of trains is an EOT (end of train device) or, in hobo terminology, the FRED (fucking rear end device). It is only found on complete trains, that is, ones that arrived recently or will be departing soon. It broadcasts info back to the engine about how the brake line pressure is doing at the far end of the train, and I think some other data.

Cracked Ass - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  10. Zack Morris

Zack Morris 12oz Veteran Member

Zack Morris - Replied Nov 4, 2001

Dr. Cracked

What do the light along a stretch of tracks mean?...The lights I am talking about look a bit like traffic lights and are usually red or green. I am thinking they serve the somewhat same purpose but that it just a guess and I was wondering if I was right.

Zack Morris

Zack Morris - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  11. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass 12oz Veteran Member

Cracked Ass - Replied Nov 5, 2001

Tall ones with black circles around the lights are signals, telling the conductor stop, go, proceed with caution, proceed with caution on the crossover track, etc. They have different combos of colors and blinking or steady lights to mean different things. Also low to the ground, and usually in yards or at multiple tracks or sidings are the dwarf signals, which serve the same function.

Cracked Ass - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  12. damn vandle

damn vandle 12oz Member

damn vandle - Replied Nov 5, 2001

THE ENGINES THAT SIT AT THE YARD I PAINT AT ARE USUALLY JUST IDLEING, THEY SOMETIMES ARE ON TIMERS AND WILL SWITCH ON AND OFF BY THEMSELVES. I WOULD'NT PAINT IN SIGHT OF AN ENGINE WITH THE LIGHTS ON. YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THE TRACK LIGHTS, CRACKED.

damn vandle - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. bear

bear 12oz Elite Member

bear - Replied Nov 5, 2001

typically, if you do some reseach, you can find a local railroad map that should clue you in to the major layups and the minor ones. when you get your timing right, you can paint just the 30 minute layups with some regularity and keep things fresh in your main yard.
    of course, shit varries and if you don't get a map, you can always just follow the rail line for as along as you can which is how i started to really learn things. i still have lots to learn and it's always helpful to have someone more experienced to talk to about graff and hitting frieghts and just trains in general to really get to know your area. a few people have been more helpful to me than any of these posts because they tellyou about the realities of your location. barring that kind of friend, your own experience is the only thing that will help you hit the most frieghts possible.

bear - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  14. dik.n.ur.ear

dik.n.ur.ear 12oz Senior Member

dik.n.ur.ear - Replied Nov 6, 2001

....that and some of those graffiti roller blades....

dik.n.ur.ear - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  15. EL MASKO

EL MASKO 12oz Elite Member

EL MASKO - Replied Nov 13, 2001

Durring the cold months or winter. The engines are usually kept running through the night...Like when you warm up a car on a cold moring. All though this is an all ngiht process. Just to keep them from not freezing because engines aren't the most well maintnenced pieces of machine. So old could cause cracking or rot or in the most part freezing. So just be careful anyways. And it's in best taste not to paint close to an engine.

Those blinking lights at factories on loading docks are for truck loads. Red is when there is a truck there. Or when that certain loading dock isn't free for unloading. Blinking green is a sign to pull up and radio in for the delivery.

EL MASKO - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages: