question about freight speeds

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This is not a "general answer" kind of question. Speeds and speed limits are absolutely tied to stretches of track, and are set based on too many factors (curve, straightaway, city limits, yard limits, proximity of track workers, condition of track, etc.). Best way to find out for the spot you're thinking of: go there and watch till some trains go by. Even then you don't have the whole picture - it might be a spot where freights crawl slowly, but passenger trains rip through. If your question pertains at all to safety, like could I walk this section of track without getting killed, err on the side of caution at all times, and assume something is coming from either direction very rapidly at all times.

as a side note when walking tracks always walk on the side where you can see the fr8s coming at you not behind you. so if you are walking east walk on the west bound tracks you understand? and look for runarounds usally the first or outermost track and amtrak will come through hauling ass. for more knowledge check yard safety thread

well the reason i asked this is not about safety. its bcuz the main spots where i would bench well... lets just say i cant be seen in there by certain people and i dont want to risk it. so i was wondering if there where markers or something that would tell you the speeds so i could check certain curves and yard limits. to find a decent spot to flick. i find it a mission to check all the layups even though they have shit sometimes alot of the times no luck.

Originally posted by podrido

well the reason i asked this is not about safety. its bcuz the main spots where i would bench well... lets just say i cant be seen in there by certain people and i dont want to risk it. so i was wondering if there where markers or something that would tell you the speeds so i could check certain curves and yard limits. to find a decent spot to flick. i find it a mission to check all the layups even though they have shit sometimes alot of the times no luck.

man they go 7 kilometers an hour. no faster, no slower.

By the way, taper's post was absolute crap. Trains often run in both directions on both tracks at different times, depending on signal blocks, switching habits, the necessity of "going in the hole", and other factors. NEVER rely on east-west, right-left for safety reasons. (Actually, it's better not to walk tracks at all, but off to the side.)

Walk the Tow-Path, Never the Wood

Cracked has got it correct to the nuts. While train engineers do look out the "right" side of engines, they can operate on either track of a double-track main. They also often have another railroad employee spotting out the left side, either the conductor, or an assistant or student engineer. Nevertheless, the train takes a mile or so to stop from running speed, so if you are inexplicably walking the track and he sees you, he still probably could not stop. All he could do is dynamite the brakes and lay on the horn. I never set foot on a track unless I absolutely must do so, and then I STOP, LOOK and LISTEN before I step over the rail. As far as train speeds go, often times there is an automatic axle counter near Yards and junctions that automatically announces time, place, axle count, defects/no defects, train speed in mph and temperature over the radio frequency that the Yard uses. If your scanner is tuned into the channel you'll get both a "heads up" on approaching trains AND the train speed.

cracked i was generally speaking and i was also referring to my current benching location that i walk the track to get to. it is righ before a yard and the fr8s absolutely hmust travel 1st 2 tracks east 2nd 2 west it cant be dievated. i was talking about that

in my drivers ed class a few years back an engineer came in to talk about crossing railroad crossings safely...he said that no matter what, they are not permitted to lay on the brakes in order to stop the engine until a collision has occured....goes with people walking on the tracks too...best thing to do is stay the fuck off tracks....

the average speed of a train even a hot shot(really fast train)is usually 65mph. there was a guy that posted somethin ealier like "how do i know when the train will move"? there is a book that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about fr8s! its called Hopping freight trains in America- by Duffy Little jon you can order it at barnes and knobles!

they have these things would imagine they would have them for all train companies where you would get tehm i dont know. i got mine form a friend they are like a folder filled with all the info for a certian portian of train lines like i have one for conrail the goes all of philly,northeastern PA,and i thikn some NJ,and DE and its basicly what a engenier would have with him if he were on a new line it has all the speeds and restrictions and axel limits it then also has lines on the sides that show the lone like all the switches and sidings and the yards there just filled with all kinds of shit so find one of thoose things and your set

Archived