Question about autoracks..

ohjees

I have a quick question concerning autoracks. If there are cars being stored inside when you are painting will this produce off spray on the vehicles????? Do you guys know if people paint them when cars are inside???? Thanks for the help guys!! PEACE!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I would assume that the cars have some kind of film or protective covering on them when they are kept inside the trains. It doesnt seem logical that the cars exterior would be completely exposed to the elements. There's alot of corosive chemicals and harmful dusts in and around train yards. Just a thought..But thanks alot for the feedback!

...bottom line..it's not a good idea to paint loaded autoracks...

...what happens is this...yes overspray sticks to cars...when they are unloaded at dealership (or yard for transport), the dealer can reject the car and send it back...meaning that then the railroad is responsible for it, and it could be traced back to where you were painting it...this equals bad...

...some times, however, the dealer will simply buff off the overspray...new cars have a ton of clear coat on them...but they still report the damage to the carrier...which could trace back to your spot...

...again...don't paint 'em loaded...you're making your spot hot...

loaded auto racks are only supposed to stop at guarded layups and yards with 24 hour activity. that's not to say that this is always the way things happen, but this is part of the assurance the carrier makes to the manufacturer. Or at least that's the way it is at the ford plant in my city. So in general, if loaded autoracks stop at your spot, it may be hotter than you think. or it may not. just a thought...

Painting em loaded risks heating the spot. I don't do it unless I'm visiting somebody who takes me to their spot and tells me they do it all the time without any apparent trouble.

Cars do not have "protective film" over them inside an autorack. Cars are built for, you guessed it, outdoors. And there are no corrosive gases or dusts in a train yard unless a tank car splits open, which is pretty rare and raises bigger issues than the finish on some new cars.

yeah, don't risk it...talk about a quick way to heat out a spot if the cars there end up with paint on them. The company running the auto-rack will undoubtably get in some financial shit from the car company and you know what they say, shit flows downhill...right into the yard.

Guest PHYNE

like i said before dont opaint them with cars inside...

if you must then uyou must not want to have a autorack spot to paint anymore....TOYS KILLS CHILL SPOTS......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i saw some on a stopped line...and i didnt hit them they were loaded all with corvettes...and there was a few yellow ones in there..i painted another car instead....it just seems sorta destructive to ruin a bunch or cars..i mean i gues if you are some commune living bike punk vegan type it would be fun!! but whatever...stopped lines yes i would smash them...a spot i paint regularly....fuck no!

• 1 year later...

when theres trucks or wider cars loaded, the sides of the cars are closer to your overspray which creates a better chance of getting spray on them. If you ever have the chance to get inside an empty autorack with peices on them in the daylight you can see on the floor how far the overspray goes and its really not that far. As far as getting traced back to your spot i dont have much info, but ive been loading and unloading them for the past two years and that has never been an issue at my yard yet.

Not a good idea to paint autoracks with cars inside, sometimes the cars will have the protetive film/paper on them that is only for the last leg of the journey when the cars are offloaded from the racks and transferred by truck to the dealer, this is to prevent rocks and other debri from damaging the paint. Who remembers when autoracks did not have the metal slotted sheets on the side? Railroads installed those to prevent rocks from flying up and kids with bb guns using the cars as target practice as they rolled past their houses, and to prevent vandals from tampering with the cars...just hit the empty racks, not sure about ya'lls spots, but empty racks in my area are disappearing as both Auto plants in the city are shutting down production for good...

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i painted them with cars and they do have a protective sticker type thing. they were mazda's so i dont know if its different for different car companies or what. but its true, dont blow the spot. it was my first time painting trains, we were retarded but luckily they were just laid up waiting on the line to clear of another train for the large yard.