Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Quality Hbo Documentaries.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by ETHREADZNY, Nov 16, 2002.

1. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY Elite Member

Hookers at the Point

The point in question is a place called Hunts Point, a red light district in New York City's Bronx borough.

If you're confused about the hookers part of the title, well, we can't help you here.

Brent Owens' HBO documentary is a candid look at the oldest profession in the book, and it ain't Pretty Woman. By and large, today's prostitutes (or at least, hookers from the early 1990s, when Hookers at the Point was made) are exactly as you'd expect. If you happen to live in a city of more than 100,000 people, you can probably ferret them out yourself, and they'll look and act exactly like the women in this flick. (That said, Owens goes out of his way to find a few hot chicks, and he does turn some up in the sequel, which revisits Hookers one year later.)

What makes Hookers at the Point more fascinating than a drive through your own skid row is Owens' dedication to following the ladies on the job. With secret cameras and microphones, we get to see and hear exactly what goes down during a proposition. And it ain't pretty. We also get intimate (so to speak) with the hookers themselves, in candid gab sessions which mostly appear shot in Owens' car or some strange den of sin. The abuse -- physical and mental -- that these women take in order to make a few hundred bucks a night is astonishing.

Owens catches up with a few hookers like Angel (nicknamed "the schoolteacher" due to her large glasses and baby face) and then revisits them years later. After two years have gone by, Angel looks nothing like the schoolteacher from before. Now 30, she looks beaten down and old. And she's got no upper teeth... something to help out with her job.

Unfortunately, the last hour of Hookers gets repetitious -- lots of moaning about pimps, bad tricks, cops, and so on. A second sequel, Hookers at the Point: Five Years Later, adds nothing to the mix.

So what are you going to take away from Hookers at the Point? Well, aside from a new respect for the streetwalker, you're going to learn a lot of amazing fashion tips.

Comes in R-rated and unrated versions. We reviewed (and linked, at right) the unrated version. <http://www.filmcritic.com/misc/mepics.nsf/view/spacer/$File/spacer.gif>

http://epguides.com/Corner/cast.jpg'>

his is not a "typical" urban story of lives hung dangerously in the balance. Viewers are shown the human side of the McCullough family and the tough choices they had to face every day just to survive. Actors T.K. Carter, Khandi Alexander and Sean Nelson give stellar performances in this powerful drama.

2. Fabo 2

Fabo 2 Member

3. sneak

sneak Guest

yes, interesting...

4. socrates

socrates Guest

hmmmm..veryinteresting...hmmmmmmmmmm

5. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

ethreadz, since you hooked it up with the recommendation for "living on the edge" and i went and checked it out that day and its fucking awesome so far, i recommend getting the book they based The Corner on. i just got done reading it for the 2nd time and it is fucking unbelieveable.

just a heads up...the show was great too.

6. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY Elite Member

I am glad you are feeling the book, yeah I actually already read The Corner, another book I couldnt put down. Defiently a suggestion for others to read.

fr8lover, any other's you recommend?

7. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

the corner was amazing, at times it was kinda preachy when the author went on rants about society and such but it was a fast read.

as far as books i read recently

microserfs: about microsoft employees and their struggle to have lives. its kinda weird but real entertaining.

cyberpunk: three stories about hackers, kevin mitnick, german hackers, and this guy cliff stoll tracking down hackers across the world.

8. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY Elite Member

cyberpunk sounds like something worth reading, I am going to try to pick up a cheap copy. I am trying to think If this book that I was recommended by a friend of mine, It was written by the author of fight club. He insist it is the best book he ever read. Does anybody know the title?

9. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY Elite Member

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/02030113011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/4860000/4869478.gif'>

this is the book I was told about, anybody read it?
    From the author of the international sensation Fight Club, a powerful (and hilarious) novel about love and strife between mothers and sons, the addictive power of sex, the terrors of aging, the ugly truth about historical theme parks, and much else...

Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk's controversial and blazingly original debut novel, introduced a fresh and even renegade talent to American fiction, one who has retooled the classic black humor of Terry Southern and Kurt Vonnegut for the lunacy of the millennial age. In his new novel, Choke, he gives readers a vision of life and love and sex and mortality that is both chillingly brilliant and teeth-rattlingly funny.

Victor Mancini, a dropout from medical school, has devised a complicated scam to pay for his mother's elder care: Pretend to be choking on a piece of food in a restaurant and the person who "saves you" will feel responsible for the rest of his life. Multiply that a couple of hundred times and you generate a healthy flow of checks, week in, week out. Between fake choking gigs, Victor works at Colonial Dunsboro with a motley group of losers and stoners trapped in 1734, cruises sex addiction groups for action ("You put twenty sexaholics around a table night after night and don't be surprised."), and visits his mother, whose anarchic streak made his childhood a mad whirl and whose Alzheimer's disease now hides what may be the startling truth about his (possibly divine?) parentage. An antihero for our deranging times, Victor's whole existence is a struggle to wrest an identity from overwhelming forces. His creator, Chuck Palahniuk, is the visionary we need and thesatirist we deserve.

10. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Veteran Member

all i have to say about hbo, is that the sopranos sucks ass. fuck that stupid shit.

11. Tyler Durden

12. Tyler Durden

13. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

Tyler Durden

What is it about the Sopranos that you don't like? I'm curious.

14. Tyler Durden

all i've heard about that show up until 2 weeks ago is how incredible it is. i'd never seen it before and finally watched it at my girlfriends sisters house (tony or whoever was fucking some girl that was getting his horse painted or something? his wife stole some of his cash and the guy who was going out with the girl he fucked turned out to be some sort of masochist...) i just didnt find it interesting in the slightest.

the only things worth watching on tv now is the history channel (modern marvels...what what...) and "the critic" reruns on comedy central. the rest is schlock.

15. Nic Thamaire

Nic Thamaire Elite Member

I saw that one about the Point,that shit was ill,,like 24 hours in the life of a Hoe,,An other one that was pretty scary was about that forty years old father,that started to take XTC and going to rave w/ his three boys and daughter,,pretty sick shit