pullin a sicky

DrUnk MoNKeY

back at work now after a short christmas break and i think i need some more time off. so ive started this thread in the hope that you the kind people of 12oz will help me out by telling me your best, worst, crazzyest storys youve told the boss / teacher etc when ur blaggin a day off..............................

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

a couple of months ago i clamed i needed time off too go and visit a sik relitive up north. i was workin 2 jobs at the time so i kinda deserved a break. any way my 3 days off turned into a week long bender where at some point (so im told i walked into the bar where i was ment to be workin and demanded free drinks off the manager after that i had all the time off in the world.:krunk:

i called out yesterday.

i once told a boss i was "sick in the head"

a friend of mine used to drink hand soap in high school to puke and go home

i called out from an airport one time.

the airport intercom was all "blablajbahyaabnbablaaa to terminal C"

while i was saying i couldn't make it in that day..

i have called out long distance about 4 times.

..it was easier to do that before caller i.d., which my current boss has :(

I actually had the shingles and I missed a week of work.

Luckily it didn't stop me from doing anything, except for working.

There's a few really paronoid co-workers with children so they rather

I was at home instead of passing arund germs. Luckily It was a minor case.

Usually I just call in and say 'something's come up.. I'll be in later... maybe'.

^^excellent method with the leaving a message thing..

at my current job, my boss is really lenient, and i would consider myself an excellent employee, so i do pretty much as i please..

however, i learned this year:

when you call out sick, it is ILLEGAL for them to make you say why

..because a person's medical history is protected by confidentiality laws.

i know it isn't usually as cut and dry as telling your boss you won't say and it's illegal for hiim to ask, but it could be more along the lines of "you know, that information is very private, i'd really prefer not to discuss why, it is necessary that i stay home today"

just a tip.

the answer phone is the best method, just a shame my work doesnt have one. bastards.

usually i get asked to provide a doctors note which mysterioulsy dissapears before i get it to work..

Originally posted by fatbastard

^

why dont you just be a MAN and finish the whole day.

http://pbskids.org/lions/words/images/knock.gif'>

I have worked at my current job for almost 4 years now and have never once called in sick. Although, I have taken my vacation time, which is only 5 days a year w/ paid holidays. Never have been sick enough or felt that lazy that I couldn't go get paid for the day. All I can think of you guys must not get paid enough or not like what you're doing????

Guest imported_b0b

For one day off, at very short notice you need an excuse that means you go back the next day and not have to pretend to be ill. Also it needs to be something you have no control over (ie you'd love to come to work, but.....). Good excuses in this genre are:

Attempted break in at your house. You staying at home awaiting police and locksmith/glazier to do repairs.

Car problem: someone broke the window and took a bag off the back seat. Awaiting galss repairman to fix it. Or a bird flew into your windsheild or you ran over a dog or ??

House problem: your heating/hotwater/electrics gone and you awaiting the repairman. "hopefully they'll be here by 11am so I should be in after lunch". Yeah right!

Dependant problem: your wife/childborther had an asthma attack in the night and you been at the hopsital since 3am and are too tired to come in.

Most of these are good and have worked for me before. They also have the added benefit of getting pity form your co-workers the next day. You can moan about the cost fo the repairs, how awful it was watching the asthma attack, or how "violated" you felt after realising someone had been in your house. If you do one day as sick and go in fine your co-workers usually hate you.

Guest imported_b0b

I read that in one of the Scandanavian countries you are entitled to two "mental health" days a year (ie if you are too deperessed to come to work). Sounds great, as I often skip to keep my sanity!