fuckin' hell...

i'm dope as shit when its something

thats unexpected and improvised, but

if its something that i know i have to do,

it builds up and i sweat fear...

maximum anxiety and nervousness...

what do you do to quell big presentation

anxieties? skip it and deal with the

consequences later? do tequila shots before?

wack off? what?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

BINGO

Its not social,

it has to do with exposure.

When you care about something,

confidence seems shallow under these

situations.

Its natural, and honest.

If you really want a tip, i become aggressive, but its silly

so not much help given

the only way i got through my public speaking class was by not caring. seriously. get fully prepared and all that and when you get up there just throw it out there. if you dont care then you dont fuck it up with nerves. i dunno, it worked for me.

im the same way... if you put me on the spot, i rock. but if i have to give a speech or something, i loose it. i get all hot and everything gets blurry... ive gotten alot better, but its still not my favorite thing in the world to do.... good luck.

...heh man youre thinking about it toooooo much....the reason you thrive at improv is because its on the fly right, no time for think to get in the way...there is no time for your analytical side to really kick in, and cause confusion and doubt....my suggestion would be NOT to over prepare...thatll only cause you more headaches....keep your notes with you when you go up, but slim em down tremendously...so its just a skeleton...i think youve answered your dilema yourself already, all you really have to do is study why you kick ass at improv but cringe at a lecture....my thinking is that the more time you have to prepare, the more time you have to strangle yourself....topic choice will help too somewhat, but i think you really need to approach the lecture like an improv set...just keep the jokes to a minimum and leave the prosthetics at home....im going to smoke a butt, consider the consultation payment for the giacometti painting....

rOe, a minor is psych.....

Guest imported_Tesseract

Really now,

Tips,

Its silly but it works for me.

1 pick your spot, i dont know where the whole thing will take place, but there must be a spot more comfortable than others.

2 Sit, in a really 'cool' position and stuff, like you're chillin with friends.

3 Smoke, i dont know if you do but it helps, you have something to do with your hands. If you dont smoke, hold something...a pen, anything.

4 Dont organise the things you'll say, i mean stick to essence with few words, make it clear. Either everyone will shut up or a dialogue will start and its always better that way.

I dont know man, i suck at these. I really wish you the best

Guest BROWNer

heh...i'll be sure to sit really cool tesseract, haha..loungin'...

just so you guys don't keep wishing me luck(thanks),

i'm not doing a presentation anytime soon...i just happened

to be perusing some school brochures and

some of the course descriptions indicate

several presentations throughout the year....

kinda makes me want to skip over those

courses...its funny...when i sit here and really

think about doing presentations, i get a bit

anxious....definitely something i would like

to overcome at some point..its kind of a crippling

fear if you don't take it on........my girlfriend has lots of good

advice too, she's a teacher and was just like

all of us in that situation, but she seems to have

overcome most of her fears. i think the best advice

is to just grin and bear it, and if you do it enough it

becomes easier with each one.

Guest BROWNer

i agree vanity...i think your best bet is to know your shit back, forth, reverse and upside down.................its probably best to pick a subject(if you're afforded that luxury) that you can just sit back and school doods on...but.....definitely the more you do it the easier it becomes, especially if its a regular thing..

Guest imported_Tesseract

Brown, with all due respect, BASTARD!!!

you started this and you DONT have a presentation!!!?

I have to do that shit at least once in a month...

Its been 4 years now and no i dont get any better, i can talk better but i still feel the same

Guest BROWNer

heh heh....well, thats not entirely true tesser, i will have some

presentations in the somewhat near future.....:)

i guess your right, once a month isn't the most regular

kind of thing......

see, my girl is in front of a class everyday, so i'm sort of

skipping over the normal frame work of most peoples

professions etc...

4 years of this shit and it still makes you feel the same?

damn......crushing my optimistic thinking...:(

:spent:

dont make direct eye contact! look at the back wall fool! everyone will think your looking at everyone else! also breath normally! i saw this girl have a huge asthma attack once while giving her presentation. another guy had a epileptic attack, i still think he was faking, but he became exempt from presenting, he just had to hand in his speech that was it. if all else fails give that epileptic thing a shot, and let us know how it goes!

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by BROWNer

4 years of this shit and it still makes you feel the same?

damn......crushing my optimistic thinking...:(

No man, dont.

I overeact, it aint that bad anymore.

Now its like sunday afternoon feeling, you know when monday morning was schooltime.

Not exactly picnic, but ok

Today I had to do a presentation infront of about 100 people. I'm probably the worst public speaker in the world. Today though I just went up there and didn't give a fuck. Why should I care what they all think of me? They're all a bunch of losers. I own that fucking presentation.

Then I had to do another one in another calss, but I saw one of my buddies in the break before. We went out and smoked a nice fattie, them went to the campus bar and had a couple drinks. SERIOUSLY recommended if you have to do a presentation. Calms you down and makes you funny and clever.

That's the Doc's remedy....

Guest BROWNer

another approach is to

make it interactive.....looking back, i've done

some and the one that involved the audience was waaaay

smoother....took alot of the pressure and focus off...

frink had an idea. Maybe the reason i am better at speaking just off the top of my head is because I worry about formulating my thoughts and flowing and being atriculate, but when I am reading or rehearsing things I am only concentrating on how my voice sounds or what people are thinking, rather than the important stuff...

think about it...

frink said it

i'm definately scared of presentations and such, but props to you all for taking the bull by the horns so to speak. i don't know about buds, i just started not smoking them, and it's true what they say: people do stupid things and say stupid things when they're high. or maybe that's just my friends . . . someone told me one time to squeeze my butt cheeks togather real tight. that shit might work for girls and shit, but it made me uncomfortable as hell. i was way on top of questions however, so . . . i guess it don't matter if you're in some bullshit public speaking class where there's like ten people or whatever and you have some bullshit subject that you don't care about, but you'll prolly be thanking yourself for doin it later when you have some real shit to present.

I perform a lot in front of big crowds of people i've never met before, doing a show where i basically, and litteraly, kick the shit out of myself, then pass a hat for tips. Probably done shows like this over 150 times and the mentallity i go on with is, "who cares." and that's just it. if you make a mistake, make it big. if your in front of a crowd, you basically own them, they'll do what you tell em.

Guest wakassOATH

man public speaking is wak, well at least with the teacher i had .. he didnt like me i would sit in the back of my class and sketch and just do the werk when i was cofortable at home he always had it in for me he would give me a 50 or 55% (pass here is 60%)i always handed in my shit i even had my dad who was has been a english teacher for 30 years revise my essays and this faggot of a teacher would still fail me ..thats when my parents accually belived me when i said it was the teachers fault

anyway this story begins when we had to talk in front of our class for 3 mins with q-cards on any subject you wanted, the rule was you could go up there and talk about any topic you wanted to even if it was about you being a nazi or whatever and there would be no questions asked and if you talked intelagently for 3+ mins you were gonna pass

so most of the moron kids in my class would talk about the solar system or how bad smoking is or how much they like there pets is or someother dumb ass topic

so of coarse i picked graffiti i brought in fliks for the whole class and did a wicked ass job it was 5 mins long but of coarse the faggot teacher stopped his watch early and said it was 2 mins 50 seconds and told me i was gonna fail then started to make fun of the art and how .. its one step lower then peeing in public bla bla bla but i went to a ghetto school with lots of delinquent graffiti losers and we made him shut his mouth

anyway my advice is to take a few deep breaths and give it a i dont give a fuck what other people think of me or my speech ..just know you speece well and if your a shitty speeker just practice at home, read it over a few times in yer head but mostly out lound and youll do fine

I don't like speaking in front of people very much...but I've had to do it.....for the first 30 seconds you will be nervous as all hell,but the second you look up and notice people are actually listening...just go with the flow...be loose,and you eventually will get the audience captivated with whatever you're talking about...stay confident.(it's kind of like pretending you are only speaking to a few people---just try to zone out and don't think about how many people are actually there...)---I'm sure you will do just fine...no reason to get worried....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Tesseract

I have a tough one tomorow morning, not only i'll have to talk about my latest work(which is half complete at the moment) but i'll also have to defend my self against invidiously accusations that want me to be extremely lazy the last 6 months....

Whoa! wish Tesseract luck.

Archived