Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

PUBLIC SPEAKING

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by BROWNer, Dec 4, 2001.

1. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

fuckin' hell...
    i'm dope as shit when its something
    thats unexpected and improvised, but
    if its something that i know i have to do,
    it builds up and i sweat fear...
    maximum anxiety and nervousness...
    what do you do to quell big presentation
    anxieties? skip it and deal with the
    consequences later? do tequila shots before?
    wack off? what?

2. shameless self promotion

shameless self promotion 12oz Legend

dude, go smoke a cig, or get some fresh air..listen to some music that gets ya amped. Then go get em tiger!

3. BINGO

Its not social,
    it has to do with exposure.
    When you care about something,
    confidence seems shallow under these
    situations.
    Its natural, and honest.
    If you really want a tip, i become aggressive, but its silly
    so not much help given

4. beardo

beardo Guest

the only way i got through my public speaking class was by not caring. seriously. get fully prepared and all that and when you get up there just throw it out there. if you dont care then you dont fuck it up with nerves. i dunno, it worked for me.

5. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

im the same way... if you put me on the spot, i rock. but if i have to give a speech or something, i loose it. i get all hot and everything gets blurry... ive gotten alot better, but its still not my favorite thing in the world to do.... good luck.

6. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

...heh man youre thinking about it toooooo much....the reason you thrive at improv is because its on the fly right, no time for think to get in the way...there is no time for your analytical side to really kick in, and cause confusion and doubt....my suggestion would be NOT to over prepare...thatll only cause you more headaches....keep your notes with you when you go up, but slim em down tremendously...so its just a skeleton...i think youve answered your dilema yourself already, all you really have to do is study why you kick ass at improv but cringe at a lecture....my thinking is that the more time you have to prepare, the more time you have to strangle yourself....topic choice will help too somewhat, but i think you really need to approach the lecture like an improv set...just keep the jokes to a minimum and leave the prosthetics at home....im going to smoke a butt, consider the consultation payment for the giacometti painting....

rOe, a minor is psych.....

7. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

....and memories of high school come flying back....ive got a three person limit on people listening to me when i talk....completly foiled my dreams of rap stardom....

8. Really now,
    Tips,
    Its silly but it works for me.

1 pick your spot, i dont know where the whole thing will take place, but there must be a spot more comfortable than others.

2 Sit, in a really 'cool' position and stuff, like you're chillin with friends.

3 Smoke, i dont know if you do but it helps, you have something to do with your hands. If you dont smoke, hold something...a pen, anything.

4 Dont organise the things you'll say, i mean stick to essence with few words, make it clear. Either everyone will shut up or a dialogue will start and its always better that way.

I dont know man, i suck at these. I really wish you the best

9. Advertisers use cocaine but i dont really recommend it:cool:

10. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

heh...i'll be sure to sit really cool tesseract, haha..loungin'...
    just so you guys don't keep wishing me luck(thanks),
    i'm not doing a presentation anytime soon...i just happened
    to be perusing some school brochures and
    some of the course descriptions indicate
    several presentations throughout the year....
    kinda makes me want to skip over those
    courses...its funny...when i sit here and really
    think about doing presentations, i get a bit
    anxious....definitely something i would like
    to overcome at some point..its kind of a crippling
    fear if you don't take it on........my girlfriend has lots of good
    advice too, she's a teacher and was just like
    all of us in that situation, but she seems to have
    overcome most of her fears. i think the best advice
    is to just grin and bear it, and if you do it enough it
    becomes easier with each one.

11. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

actually.. your best bet is just be really prepared. practice in the mirror a few times. before your start, look around the roomand take a few deep breaths. i've been told i look too relaxed.
    but i can't talk to a girl for the life of me :

12. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

i agree vanity...i think your best bet is to know your shit back, forth, reverse and upside down.................its probably best to pick a subject(if you're afforded that luxury) that you can just sit back and school doods on...but.....definitely the more you do it the easier it becomes, especially if its a regular thing..

13. Brown, with all due respect, BASTARD!!!
    you started this and you DONT have a presentation!!!?
    I have to do that shit at least once in a month...
    Its been 4 years now and no i dont get any better, i can talk better but i still feel the same

14. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

heh heh....well, thats not entirely true tesser, i will have some
    presentations in the somewhat near future.....:)
    i guess your right, once a month isn't the most regular
    kind of thing......
    see, my girl is in front of a class everyday, so i'm sort of
    skipping over the normal frame work of most peoples
    professions etc...
    4 years of this shit and it still makes you feel the same?
    damn......crushing my optimistic thinking...:(

15. ohno*rock

ohno*rock Junior Member

:spent:
    dont make direct eye contact! look at the back wall fool! everyone will think your looking at everyone else! also breath normally! i saw this girl have a huge asthma attack once while giving her presentation. another guy had a epileptic attack, i still think he was faking, but he became exempt from presenting, he just had to hand in his speech that was it. if all else fails give that epileptic thing a shot, and let us know how it goes!