? PS2 or XBOX ?

ASER1NE

So , im thinkin i need to get one of these two machines , but judging by the media or the nerd holes we call EB , i cant seem to get an clear idea of which one is actually better

im sure yous ppl got em , what do you think , which is more fun , better controllers , cheaper ? better dvd player , internet gaming crap i know nothing about ? mod chips ? better/more games ?

and whichever one is your favourite lemme know too what the best games are , ima get a mod chip either way so i want the best games , i seen on tv that socom II looks pretty damn sick , but thats about all i know .

ima go with whatever the consensus in this thread is .

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by S@T@N

XBOX. More powerful, better graphics, no need to buy memory card

bullshit, and XBOX Live.

PS2 is getting cheaper, get it later if you get bored with the box.

PS2's are DVD ready, while you have to pay an extra $30 to play DVD's on your XBOX. Also, XBOX's have hard drives so you can store all your cd's on it, and in some games you can play with YOUR music, which is awesome.

What about the poor little Gamecube?

I'll answer each part individually. And if this thread turns into anything even remotely ressembling a video game forum's thread (fanboys, retarded arguments, etc), it needs to be shut down immediately. FYI, this post is coming from someone who owns/has owned GC, Xbox, and PS2

[Geek Mode]

Controllers: I'm more of a fan of the Xbox controller S (the one that now comes with it), but the PS2 controller is still really solid. I like the sticks on the Xbox controller better.

Cheaper: Price is usually exactly the same

DVD: This one is gonna have to be a toss-up. The Xbox dvd player is better, but you HAVE to buy the remote to even use it. However, you can program this function away with a...

Mod Chips: The Xbox owns the PS2 in the modding department. If you plan on doing any modding, the Xbox is the way to go because of its built in hard drive (which the ps2 doesn't have) and its PC-like design. You can install a chip, get a whole new operating system, then upgrade the hard drive to as high as 120gb. Then you can import mpeg/avi movies from your computer and watch those, download entire Xbox games from shady places like mIRC, and do whatever the fuck you want. Not paying for games is the shit, and will impress your girlfriend.

Internet: Microsoft definately has the better internet gaming machine. Xbox Live is reasonably priced ($50/year) and a shitload of fun. Rainbow Six Three 8 v 8 cannot be beaten. Plus most games coming out now have special sections of the game you can only download through Xbox Live(all free DLs). Stuff like extra levels and game modes. They're also coming out with lots of ranking systems for competitive games. I really like where Microsoft is going. PS2 has Socom, which is fucking awesome, but thats about it for internet gaming.

Games: This is ALL oppinion. Of course PS2 has a much larger library of games, with way more games I would consider "games worth owning", but I still like the titles Xbox has more. The reason? PS2 is running out of games it can call "playstation exclusives". GTA used to be its big exclusive game, but that just got released on Xbox, with slightly better graphics and both games for the price of 1. Now the only PS2 games I would consider to be "exclusives you need to own" are the Socom, Gran Tourismo, and Final Fantasy series. I also would've said before that if you wanted RPGs, go with PS2, but now I'm starting to believe that the Xbox is finally "getting it" in this area. Morrowind and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic are two sweet games (albeit not your average RPG style), and with Fable on the horizon, I'd have to say go for the box for RPGs. I can confidently say, before it is released, that Fable is going to be one of the greatest RPGs ever made...period. The development team has been working on this shit since day one of Xbox. Thats a solid 4 years of development into one game. I've decided I'm gonna break this down genre by genre.

First Person Shooters - Xbox (PS2 has Socom; Xbox has Halo, Ghost Recon, Unreal Tourney, Rainbow Six 3, etc)

Racing - PS2 (Gran Tourismo owns all, even though Xbox has Project Gotham Racing)

Fighting - PS2 (every system has Soul Calibur, but PS2 has Virtua Fighter

Tactical Shit (Metal Gear Solid, etc) - XBoz (MGS, Splinter Cell)

Action/Adventure - Toss up (don't really play these games too much, but know enough to say there's good games on both)

Puzzle - PS2 (Xbox gets raped in this category)

RPG - Right now, PS2, but time will tell...if you like Japanese style RPGs (final fantasy, breath of fire, etc) PS2 is the way to go. If you like PC-style RPGs (baldur's gate, morrowwind) Xbox is the way to go.

Holy shit I got caught up in that...anyway, I'm personally a fan of the Xbox. I like the better graphics, much better sound, and its better first person shooters, tactical games, and PC-style RPGs. Plus the mod-ability for the Xbox is insane. Wow, I'm out...

[/Geek Mode]

Nice Capita, I got the triple threat as well, and of the 3 I'd say they all

average out. However, someone who doesn't have my taste in games

would probably go for Xbox for instant gratification, while I go with PS2

or GC for the game factors (can't fuck with mario)

Originally posted by CAPiTA

Cheaper: Price is usually exactly the same

Hmmm...check this...

Right now if you buy an XBOX you get 2 months of XBOX live for free plus Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and another game(cant remember at the moment) for $180 while PS2's offer is one free game, free online pack for $200.

I think XBOX has the better deal.

Plus my friends PS2 has broken twice now, had to send to cali to fix, same thing happened to his bro's PS2, same thing happened to my friends PS2, oh wait this happened to another friend as well.

And I haven't ever heard of someone's XBOX breaking...

So in conclusion...

XBOX ROX!

ps2 can play ps1 games and has a better selection of games. i think x box may be a decent machine but in the long run i think sony will still be around while x box will fade away like sega. in america the gamers may be split but in japan no one owns an x box which means no cool japanese games to play.

Originally posted by serum

sega stopped making the systems but they still make the games for it.

i think that they still make games for other platforms, cuz if they are still comin out with them, where the shit do i get them.

See the thing is, the xbox is a fuckin computer, thats really it, the controler is the size of a frisbee, while the ps2 is just dope, i played both enjoyed both, but if i was to buy one, i would prolly buy the xbox, dont know why, i just would

Originally posted by ARCEL

so what caused the dream cast's demise ? wasn't it out for only a couple years ?

It wasn't moving the way sega wanted it to. They decided to focus on games rather than systems. i dunno...i played dreamcast and i didn't thinik too much of it. no big thang.

As for my PS2....shit, it's mainly just a glorified dvd player to me these days. I don't have money to spare on games.

Originally posted by ARCEL

so what caused the dream cast's demise ? wasn't it out for only a couple years ?

yeah, they got to the point where they were giving them away for free if you signed up for their internet, or if you signed up for their internet they would give you 200 dollars for the one you already had. i love the system, i still have on in my room, i buy games on ebay and what not, cuz im a loser and thats what us losers do