Protesters scale BIG BEN

Jackson

Big Ben protest brothers bailed

Two men who scaled Big Ben in a protest on the anniversary of the start of the Iraq war have been released on bail.

http://wwwi.reuters.com/images/2004-03-20T132415Z_01_GRI032366_RTRUKOP_2_PICTURE1.jpg'>

Harry Westaway, 28, and his brother Simon, 23, both from Lewes in East Sussex, had been arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage.

The Greenpeace activists spent seven hours on the London landmark on Saturday and said breaching Parliamentary security had been "easy."

Their actions have prompted a series of calls for security improvements.

The brothers cleared a wall and security fence before beginning their climb up the 315-ft tower wearing protective helmets and harnesses at about 0615 GMT.

It is a huge embarrassment, both to the House authorities and the policing arrangements

Peter Hain, Leader of the House of Commons

They stayed on a ledge below the clock face for several hours before coming down just before 1300 GMT when winds become too strong.

They were arrested when they ended their protest, but were released on bail later and must return to a police station in central London next month.

The incident has started a wide range of calls for improved security or an inquiry into how the brothers were able to carry out the stunt.

Metropolitan Police Commander Brian Paddick announced their would be an "automatic" review of security.

Glen Smythe, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation said Greenpeace should be condemned for the "extremely foolish" act.

And speaking on BBC1's Breakfast With Frost programme, Leader of the House of Commons Peter Hain demanded an urgent report into the incident.

Mr Hain said: "It is a huge embarrassment, both to the House authorities and the policing arrangements.

"Twenty or 30 years ago an audacious protest like that by Greenpeace would have been seen for exactly that.

"But what if these had been suicide bombers?

"So I am very disturbed about it and I want an urgent report as Leader of the Commons about how it happened."

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/engl...and/3554791.stm

flick here http://wwwi.reuters.com/images/2004-03-20T..._2_PICTURE1.jpg

-Thems some crazy motherfuckers... It was so fucking windy yesterday.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Ha ha...

"oh wow, if I had my ranger attempt something like that at tralfador's citadel where we fought the purple wizards three headed dragon, i could have enough experience points to enhance his armor class to a -4!"

I actually picked up an "urban explorer" zine (Infiltration) at Tower records a few years back and they actually wrote about checking out some really cool places such as the catacombs under Degrassi high, an old abandoned missle silo and an abandoned lunatic asylum.

Cool reading but what a bunch of pussies. In between descriptions of the silo and tunnels, they're always writing about "We took exceptional care to wipe down any surfaces we touched for fear someone might find our fingerprints later!" or when they were under Degrassi high they came up on a mad amount of keys to unlock just about every door in the place but they write in big ass letters "We found a wonderful amount of keys WHICH WE CAREFULLY RETURNED TO THEIR RIGHTFUL PLACE ONCE WE WERE DONE WITH THEM!"

I mean, who is going to go and fingerprint the walls of a missile silo? Who would miss the keys they found in a forgotten janitos closet? Is it really neccessary to let everyone know what wusses you are? Seriously, tresspassing is about as serious as jaywalking in most cases.

Originally posted by LENS

"oh wow, if I had my ranger attempt something like that at tralfador's citadel where we fought the purple wizards three headed dragon, i could have enough experience points to enhance his armor class to a -4!"

the nerd alert siren is deafening me

Yeah been hearing alot in this far city about these two. The head of Metropolitian police has said security is shit (basically) at parliament. I also don't think suicide bombers would climb up a building just to destroy a land mark which had no one in it, it would kind of defeat the point.

Archived