Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

propane track warmers? wtf

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by seeking, Jan 12, 2004.

1. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

so the other day im walking through my yard and i hear this screaming, hissing sort of noise...i follow it down a track, and find a 15 foot stretch of track, where on each side, there was a metal sort of housing built next to the track (but not going over it) with a gas line running into it (from god knows where) and it was lit on fire, with a constant line of blue flames running along the track.
    i've got a picture i'll post up later.

anyone ever seen anything like, or have any idea what the hell it is for?

2. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

I'm assuming it was located at a switch right? I don't know about propane, but in cold weather areas, most high volume switches have some sort of heater/blower that keeps the switch free of ice. usually its for CTC controlled switches, where no brakeman is getting out to throw it. In the old days they used to pour kerosene on the switchpoints and light them on fire.

3. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

it is near a switch point, BUT it's near a switch point that connects to a dead track that hasent seen a train in atleast two years, so never gets switched.
    i had considered that, but it wasnt plausible. plus, the contraption is too large and bulky to allow for switching.
    hopefully the pics will make more sense of it.

4. porque

porque Senior Member

...we've got what ese is talking about at our main yard...little fires around the controlled switches...and i've seen them out with small propane blowtorches to use by hand on the other switches...in our more ghetto yard i saw them out the other day with pickaxes choppin up ice blocks...

...i am completely dumbfounded, however, if your switch doesn't lead to anything...unless it got pushed in the wrong direction and then heavily frove that way so they set up this installation to put it back (which also seems pretty stupid)...did this look like something permament?....or something they could just take back down...

5. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

forgot to post the pic, ill do it tonight.
    it wasnt permenant, but it was definitely put into place with some sort of care and planning. the more i think about it, i dont think it was on a switch at all. near one, yes, but not right at the Y or anything.
    we'll see.

6. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

We have those out my way. The sound freaked me out the first time.

7. krowteN

krowteN Member

ive seen them on video that artistik sent me and yeah the sound is pretty omenous. like a loud deep whistling buzz.
    fortunately theres no ice on the trax around my way, except when we empty the beer chest;)

8. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i had to kind of blow the contrast out cause its a night photo. all along the metal bracket things, on both sides, for abot 15 feet, are these tiny blue flames, like pilot lights on a stove. you can only see spots of them in this pic, but they run the whole length.
    behind me, about 50-75 feet, is the split, but again, it hasent been used in years and years; trains only go down the one line. it must serve some purpse though, cause there is a giant propane tank off to the side, that i always wondered what it was for....and i guess now i know (sort of).
    despite the extra bracing shit inbetween the tracks that you can see right here, nothing moves. and if you look on left hand side, it looks like there is another track, thats a piece of loose track sitting next to it, that i assume they're going to someday replace it wiith. its been sitting there for two years though, so obviously they arent in any rush.
    i really dont get it.

9. rob deer

rob deer Guest

awesome. can you make hot chocolate in the yard?

10. porque

porque Senior Member

...railroads seem to have a rather consistent record of doing things that don't make sense...

11. soneMILWwi

soneMILWwi Guest

maybe you should put your nuts on it little guy and see if the warmth makes them grow...

12. Bosco

Bosco Member

I searched on the internet at various companies that produce "propane track heating" equipment, and the only items I found were for switches only...Although some of the pictures on these sites for switch heaters resembled your picture, Seeking. I'm still stumped on the equipments placement at your spot...

13. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

I don't get it either, unless you photoshopped this thing to mess with our heads.
    To clarify, the prime (and I thought only) purpose of those propane heaters is at a switch, to keep the switch from icing up in the winter. A frozen switch is a pain in the ass, impossible to move, and in fact ice buildup at frogs and points can derail a train on rare occasions.
    Your location is bizarre. First of all, there's no longer a track to switch to, although what's being heated there is clearly a switch. My best guess was that there used to be another track to switch to, and they pulled it up but left the switch in place, never to be used again, which I have seen happen in my area.
    However, then I took a closer look at the photo. The rails don't even match up. A train going through here would derail, especially if it came from where you're standing. If it came from the other direction without stopping it still might derail, although its weight would tend to push the switch points back to where they belong. I hope this isn't a mainline. They must have to stop the train when they come through here and put the switch back to the useful position. I don't know why they would set it to the defunct position, except as an automatic stopper for a runaway train, which I never heard of. (I know UP manually derailed a runaway train in Cali last year, wiping out some houses in a ghetto neighborhood rather than risk it crashing closer to the city center.)
    I don't understand this photo. Best bet is to stake the place out (which should be fun in this weather) and see how a live train behaves at this spot.

14. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

no, cracked, you're viewing it wrong. there is NO switch right here, there is only ONE track. what appears to be the other track, in a 'bad' position, is the inside portion of the 'track warmer', and the extra piece of rail which i already said is just sitting on the ground next to the track. absolutely nothing moves right here. and yes, it is a 'main line', infact, it is the ONLY line, in or out, of the yard. and i have sat in the bushes on several occasions, and watched the train pull through. it's yet to derail. and this is my 'famed' autorack spot, so i think they would be more careful than to allow a train full of new cars go plummeting off into a small ravine.
    i need to go back out there duriing the day and take a better, more complete picture. there has to be a reason the thing exists. i mean, i guess it has to have SOMETHING to do with a switch, but i dont know what, because nothing on this track moves right here. also, while the big propane tank is there year round, this heating mechanism is not. it was just put in for winter.
    one last thing, the extra braces and shit you see between the track, that might look like a switching mechanism, are not. there is a big light box just to the right of the track, the braces and brackets go with that.

15. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

another angle.
    as you can see, if you look straight down the track, there is no second track that comes into this one, there is just the one track. behind the camera, a good 50-100 feet, is where the switch is, but again, it has not been switched in years.