Propaganda

Lush

Listening to the media, my visual culture prof's lecture, and reading the papers triggered some interesting thoughts, not completely related to the terrorist attacks in The USA. What I've been pondering is propaganda during war time, and how the government will control the media and the news/pictures they can broadcast.

When the picture of the young vietnamese girl burned by american napalm surfaced during the vietnam war, the general public was outraged. During the following wars, media coverage was limited to bits and pieces spoon fed to them from the military. Certain acts may have been censored, and no graphic pictures were shown on the news or in papers. Visuals have an instant emotional impact, especially in ones detailing such devastation.

Also My visual culture prof read us an interesting little article about journalists choices of words when writing about acts of terrorism, and war. Basically it's like when we launch a suprise attack, it's called a preemptive strike, when the enemy does it, we call it a cowardly act. Also the untited states department of defence was called the department of war untill the mid forties. It sounds better to give the department of defence a few billion dollars than it does to give it to the department of war, but it's the same thing.

A journalists choice of words can easily affect our perception of the situation. We should really stop, think and question those words, then think for ourselves. We need to look at what is really behind the words. Our governments spend a lot of time and money wording this and putting propaganda out there to their advantage.

Also I saw this link on metafilter and thought it was interesting, hopefully it doesn't offend anybody. http://www.antiwar.com/orig/browne2.html

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest MR BOJANGLES

Even sitting in the middle of Europe, Switzerland isn't beset by terrorist attacks, because the Swiss mind their own business.

-this was a very good pint from that article on that link. sad but true.

Originally posted by beardo:

to knit pick.. when we strike, its preemptive because we make no mistake in making sure they know who did it, terrorists are annonymous and cowardly

I wasn't speaking about war in the propaganda bit up there, just basically suprise attacks in war. My mind has been occupied with thoughts of the retaliation, and my thought process lead to this. Sorry for the confusion.

another good link http://www.sciacallo.it/cembro/

------------------

you are beautiful, just not on the inside

[This message has been edited by Lush (edited 09-12-2001).]

weare hit with propaganda all day everyday war or not, the whoel scenewith palestinians celebrating could be fake for all we know...so that when we go and kill them everyone will feel it is justified..form teh second this conflict started the media began preparing everyon for war...fuck the media

all i know is you have to have a real logical and critical eye when dealing with firstly...

the media....and secondly.....the idea that some of the images and info is false...........................i highly doubt that celebrating palestinians sums up the whole of palestines peoples feelings about this stuff, but i wouldn't be so sure given america's viewed support of israel.....and i highly doubt these people are actors. anyhow.....

this event is going to show you the whole gamut of human emotion/nature.

some of it is disgusting, some of it totally beautiful.

......welcome to planet earth...

Guest imported_Tesseract

Lush, 100% with you.

Beardo,terrorists are cowards i agree with you.They are cowards when they place a bomb in a bar, get the fuck out,and blow innocent people.They are cowards when they assasin a person as a symbol.But on kamikaze-type attacks,when someone is giving his life,the last thing you can talk about is cowardism,Its INSANE, SICK, FRIGHTENING but it aint cowardism.

Last year,during a preemtive attack in Belgrade, the us hit the chinese embassy with a missile.Everyone in the building died.

US and NATO apologised to chinese goverment

and said that the maps of the area that they used where old,and that it was a mistake.

Stupid blind hits with innocents as victims dont differ from one side to another.

"I will never apologize for the United States of America -- I don't care what the facts are."

--George Bush (senior), commenting on the shooting down of an Iranian airliner by the U.S. warship Vincennes, killing 290 passengers. Quoted in Newsweek, August 15, 1989

[This message has been edited by Angrysamoan (edited 09-12-2001).]

http://carmen.artsci.washington.edu/propag...ideo/index.html

Terrorism: This stands for anything the State does not approve of, regardless of whether terror or killing is inflicted. So, when a hacker closes down an e-commerce web site, (s)he's engaging in "cyberterrorism". Note: Nothing the State does is ever considered terrorism by the media, even when terror, killing, rape, or torture occur.

Terrorist: Anybody practicing terrorism (see above), so long as not on the payroll of the US government or one of their allies. The State cannot commit terrorism, because it writes the laws and gives itself the latitude to do whatever the hell the leaders want. Only everyday people can commit terrorism.

http://www.radio4all.org/anarchy/buzz.html

[This message has been edited by Angrysamoan (edited 09-12-2001).]

It makes perfect sense about military propaganda. It's almost a little too simple. If the pictures get out they lose support. They lose support they lose equipment. They lose equipment they get screwed over in the war. I sure as hell wouldnt want what I did to screw people over in wars published.

But yes Lush, I do see your point. It is corrupt to be using propaganda when we're doing horrible, terrible things. And as the world's police officer we should be taking responsabilities (sp?) for our actions.

I don't really know what to think. Harpo Marx is officially confused.

Archived