Prop. 54

Guest WREK

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Prop 54 is basically a bill barrin th ecollection of statistical data based on race. Considering minorities want equality all the time it makes sense to categorize us all basically human. Evidently they still want all the gimmes and free perks for minortiy status. I say that good job positions, education and the like should be given on basis of merit and hard work rather than what type ofhuman you're classified as.

My dad worked 21 years as an SF firefighter and he was often passed up for promotion not because of his performance but because he was white. Meanwhile, someone else is promoted to lieutenant status because they have more pigmentation in their skin. Were they more qualified because of this? hell no. Often the department would be forced to place totally incopmpetant individuals in very important positions on account of affirmative action. Fuck affirmative action. Reverse racism baby.

Originally posted by LENS

Prop 54 is basically a bill barrin th ecollection of statistical data based on race. Considering minorities want equality all the time it makes sense to categorize us all basically human. Evidently they still want all the gimmes and free perks for minortiy status. I say that good job positions, education and the like should be given on basis of merit and hard work rather than what type ofhuman you're classified as.

The collection of racial data is not necessarily completely for job equality. The majority of racial data collected will help in health care . being able to see who getting what, and why? will help to understand whats causing it and in turn help to create a solution. which is even good for whitey.Also its important because more and more minorities are getting profiled by the police, and with this going unchecked then it can run even more rampent than it already does. It is a captilast ploy to make you believe they are going to make things equal but if they truely wanted to make things equal they increase the taxes on the rich and lower the sales taxes (this is mainly what the poor end up payin) . did you know that 5% of world own 90% of the money . now thats just not equal....

to expand on pastabrava's on piont statements... here's an editorial that explains a bit more:

from NO-54

EDITORIAL printed 9/15/03

No on Race Data Ban

Proposition 54 seeks to amend the California Constitution to prohibit the state and other public bodies - including local governments, colleges and universities - from classifying individuals and collecting information on them by race, ethnicity, color or national origin. In an ideal world, this might be a good thing. But in practical terms, this ballot initiative would undermine equal education, public health and civil rights protections.

A legion of individuals and institutions opposes this measure, promoted by Ward Connerly, the campaign chairman of a previous statewide initiative on affirmative action. Opponents include law enforcement agencies, civil rights groups, teachers, the California Medical Assn., public health researchers, Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca, Atty. Gen. Bill Lockyer and the League of Women Voters.

Law enforcement officials fear the measure would constrain them in halting the odious practice of racial profiling. It would make it harder for them to track and prosecute hate crimes and to diversify their own ranks to better reflect society. Civil rights groups say the measure would make it impossible to track hate crimes and enforce anti-discrimination efforts. Teachers argue that it would harm school accountability efforts, barring educators from studying gaps in achievement between racial and ethnic groups.

Health-care researchers oppose Proposition 54, contending that it would make disease tougher to track, treat and prevent. Race is important in medical care, they emphasize. Native Americans and Latinos, for example, suffer higher rates of diabetes than do African Americans and whites. African American women are more likely to suffer more aggressive forms of breast cancer than white women. Researchers have identified broad differences in ways that whites and blacks respond to certain medications.

Connerly dismisses anti-Proposition 54 arguments, calling for a race-blind world. His initiative, however, lacks clarity and would only confuse the issue of what kind of race-related data the government can deal with. The federal government requires much of it, and his initiative wouldn't change this. But the legislative analyst's office notes, "It is unclear under the measure whether state and local agencies could continue to use the race-related components of this [federal] information for evaluation, program and reporting purposes."

California is not a colorblind utopia. As imperfect as the system to collect data on color, race, ethnicity, gender and national origin is, Californians extract more benefits from having it than they would gain from abolishing it in ham-handed fashion. That's why they should cast a "no" vote on Proposition 54 on Oct. 7.

It would also prevent inquiries into the ratios of white's to non-whites in regards to traffic stops, arrests, etc.

So if cops stop a black man 90 times more than white males. There will be no way of actually finding that out.

holy shit Edward James Olmos just called me the second I replied and told me to vote no on 54.

damn i hate those recordings.

Guest WebsterUno

I saw a commercial opposing this proposition

last night. I did a google search this morning

for more info...here's what I found in opposition.

http://www.defeat54.org/

***edited, cuzz once I my post went up,

I saw nomadda beat me to it. I quoted

everything you did nomadda..too slow..

I need some coffee...brb.***

**haha..pistol...I havent got a call from Ed yet!**

Archived