Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

proof i'm getting old.new to you, old to others, musical interests

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by DIBS, Dec 19, 2001.

1. DIBS

DIBS Senior Member

i have recently started to feel very old, reason being, that i used to find myself on top of new music, exciting music, cutting edge music etc. now i have been exposed by younger people as a has been. recently i was put on to the band "at the drive in". someone at my work put me on to them knowing i was a big fugazi fan, and by god, if at the drive in isnt the greatest thing ever(to me right now) hail to my new favorite band. but i felt really old when i found out how long they have been doing their thing. so all you youngins and to the retiries, whats been goin on in your musical world, if youd be kind enough to share with a has been.

2. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

Dude don't even get me started. I work in a record store and I'm a radio personaility/DJ for an alternative station in Vermont. Let's just say i'm on top of it all.

3. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

right now i am in total awe of jim o'rourke's
    "i'm happy, and i'm singing, and a 1,2,3,4".
    any jim o'rourke for that matter.

4. DIBS

DIBS Senior Member

yeah see thats cool, my girlfriend works at a very large indipendent record store so that helps alot, but mostly i am just borred with my musical interests(and hers)so put a brother on, what have you been listening to? share the wealth.

5. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

yes, i'd like to know exactly how 'on top of it' you are...

6. DIBS

DIBS Senior Member

browner. we've talked music before, i'll check out some jim o'rourke, i know your an aphex twin fan(if i remember correctly) so i know were most likely on the same page.thanks.

7. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

Recently go into:

Ultraspank
    One King Down
    Hoobastank
    Onesidezero
    Jimmy Eat World
    Pearl Jam (old school)

probably more...

8. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

Of course you need to listen to more thn mainstream shit. Just go out and see a lot of local bands. I prefer more angry hardcore music myself, but I am open to a lot of shit.

One more:
    Joe Bonamassa (an awsome blues guitarist and vocalist)

9. DIBS

DIBS Senior Member

pearl jam? you lost me dog. to each their own.

10. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

PIEBALD
    the weakerthans
    cave in
    i have dreams
    piebald
    sam prekop

11. DIBS

DIBS Senior Member

im down for some angry hard core stuff, make the list rage.
    recent hardcore discoveries
    dilinger escape plan
    poison the well(thanks to dusty lipshitz)

and taking it back to my high school days:
    endpoint
    no escape
    earthcrisis
    strife
    current
    falling forward
    gorilla bisquits
    quicksand
    but these are just bands ive been into for years and am relistening to again.

thank you for sharring

12. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

good stuff

13. DIBS

DIBS Senior Member

ok, just for clarity, instead of just making lists, lets try to at least explain what type of music genre the bands are, so us old farts know whats goin on. young whipersnappers

14. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

well, we could be, but i doubt it. and i don't mean that in a too cool toot my own horn sort of way...
    the twin...ahh..you'll remember my ranting disappointment
    with the new cd....some nice bits, but..his spoiled brat genious schtick is really played and grating to me..also considering the climate of computer stuff going on, the untouchable genious margin is thinner than ever.....
    also....'alternative' music is not alternative in the sense that its 'breaking ground', or
    'new'....nor is it a vehicle to/for coolness, like its been portrayed in the mainstream.
    most 'alternative' music is garbage. in fact, any genre is 95% garbage, its the 5%
    of sincere ground breaking stuff that should be held up.
    not to dis you rage, but being 'on top of (alternative)' doesn't necessarily mean you're on top of the most recent developments.

15. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

piebald-indy rock
    weakerthans-weird indy rock
    cave in- uhhhh old cave in=metal, new cave in=indy rockish
    i have dreams- hardcore/emocore check these dudes out. really.
    sam prekop-musically orientated with soft vocals. jazzy style music. bongo drums if you're lucky.