mpc

sp

comp. sofware

dj"S???

any visual producers?

editing

abstract video

documentation

canvas artists,graffiti,studio art. webdesign??

if so feel free to discuss

who you are

years experience

what you do

any comments or opinions, really anything doing with production

peace

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest willy.wonka

i wish i had an mpc, but i only have reason on the computer and a keyboard i need to hook up to my computer and my brothers 2 turn tables that he bought to decorate his room with.

i paint canvases for drug dealers

i do not produce but im around film producers alot. nothing hollywood but a few close enough. you cannot know who i am or work i am involved in but chances are you will see/have seen something. film production is ridicilous in terms of work and contacts and im not talking about your little homemade 12 year old jackass type shit jumping into bushes from 13 foot trees. i would imagine beat production to be alot more laid back and not so stressfull, but then again i dont know shit about it. but yeah. wooo.

26hildedshoob

eh i guess i would be a tracker,midi melody maker,sampler..looper.

i was just wondering if anybody would be interested in trading pre-arranged beats since the majority of them online cost money..or samples for that matter.. thats what i mean by loop exchange..akin to trading flicks i guess.

the only thing i use acid for is editing accapelas and rendering to different formats..plus its really nice to viewyour music library with

'Only on the lines' is snapping. You have to turn that off. Use the paintbrush to splice the sample up.

The easiest way to get more 'full' sounding vocals would be to arrange the track how you want to vocals to be laid out, clone the layer, pan one all the way to the left and pan the other all the way to the right. Use the FX channels to eq, add reverb, chorus and compress.

That's the McGuyver method. You could just buy a nice mic.

Good lookin' out 26. I been doing the pan method

Never fucked with the eq and all that shit though.

I was told that it would be a waste to get a real nice mic cus it would pick up all the background noise more. Is this true?

I'm probably going to wait a little bit anyway until I get into recording some demos and start thinking about trying to get signed. I'm gonna make a little studio with sound proofing and whatnot. This shits good enough for now.

Yeah, if you really want to get into learning how to make tracks sound good you should read some tutorials on the effects I mentioed before. EQing, chorus, and compression are the ones that'll make the most noticable 'commercial sounding' changes to vocals. Reverb you probably don't want to go overboard on, otherwise it'll come out sounding like El-P delay.

As far as mics go, for home studio needs a $300-$600 jawn will do the trick. Here's what I use/had recommended to me as a professional-sounding, yet affordable mic:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?Produ...ory=Microphones

Background noise can be eliminated by building a small booth out of 3 hollow-core doors hinged together (you hinge them so it's collapsable when not in use, I stay in an apt so this is handy). Baffling doesn't have to be professional; carpet, blankets, or insulating foam will work.

Anyway.. hope that was a little help. I'm too tired to think... let alone be entertaining while explaining some shit like this.

Originally posted by GucciCondom@Nov 25 2004, 07:40 PM

Good lookin' out 26. I been doing the pan method

Never fucked with the eq and all that shit though.

I was told that it would be a waste to get a real nice mic cus it would pick up all the background noise more. Is this true?

wouldnt bother too much with the built in effects on acid soundforge cubase pro tools whatever. theyre toy and they put wayyy to much stress on your computer. you wanna beef your shit up get an outboard compression unit, eq, gate/limiter etc. build a sound proof booth malouf. get some monitors etc. the list goes on

:huh?:

i've been making 'beats' for about 5 or 6 years now. i don't have any professional equipment by any means though. i use a simple software tracker called Modplug, which basically just takes .wav samples and makes things sound shitty. all the other programs i've tried (fruity loops, reason, etc.) were way too complicated for my patience. i also didn't like the sequencing process.

i do have a shitload of .wav samples though if anyone's interested in trading. i'm always looking for new drumbeats and musical loops.

Originally posted by GucciCondom@Nov 26 2004, 11:01 AM

Aight goodshit 26 that was helpful. I'll look into what was mentioned.

No problem, I'm glad to drop any hints I've picked up along the way.

P.S. Even if you're not in the market to buy anything at the moment, I'm going to recommend http://www.sweetwater.com. You can probably order a catalog off the site or just shop online (I prefer the catalogs for bathroom wish-list material)... anyway, they offer free-shipping and I believe they have one of those 'match or beat competitors prices' policies. Check 'em out... they're the only place we go through.