Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Pot as Tough on Lungs as Tobacco

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by effyoo, Nov 13, 2002.

1. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

I guess this really doesn't come as a surprise:

Pot as Tough on Lungs as Tobacco

Today's Cannabis Stronger, With More Carcinogens, Than in the 1960s
    By Jeanie Davis
    Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
    WebMD Medical News

Nov. 12, 2002 -- Strong words of warning for those who smoke pot: British researchers have found that smoking pure cannabis harms your lungs as much as tobacco does.

Smoking three cannabis joints a day causes the same damage to the lining of the airways as 20 cigarettes. In fact, the tar from a joint contains 50% more cancer-causing substances than tobacco, says the report, published by the British Lung Foundation.

"These statistics will come as a surprise to many people, especially those who choose to smoke cannabis rather than tobacco in the belief that it is 'safer' for them," says Mark Britton, MD, chairman of the British Lung Foundation.

The report surveys all current medical and scientific research into the direct effects of smoking marijuana -- both alone and with tobacco -- on the smoker's respiratory health.

Among the findings:

The cannabis smoked today is much more potent than that smoked in the 1960s -- more than 15 times as potent.
    People who smoke cannabis have significantly more respiratory symptoms such as chronic cough and mucus production, wheezing, and acute bronchitis.
    Smoking three or four cannabis cigarettes a day causes the same degree of damage to the lining of the airways as 20 or more tobacco cigarettes a day.
    Cannabis tends to be smoked in a way that increases the puff volume by two-thirds and the depth of inhalation by one-third. There is an average fourfold longer breath-holding time with cannabis than with tobacco. This means that there is a greater respiratory burden of carbon monoxide and smoke particulates such as tar than when smoking a similar quantity of tobacco.
    As with tobacco smoking, the research also shows a possible link between cannabis smoking and emphysema.

A survey earlier this year showed that 79% of children believe that cannabis was 'safe,' according to the British Lung Foundation's news release. Only 2% understood correctly that there are health risks associated with smoking pot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: News release, British Lung Foundation • Mark Britton, MD, chairman, British Lung Foundation.

© 2002 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

[​IMG]

2. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

oh fuck. I'm not smoking anymore. wait, I wasn't smoking in the first place.

3. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

well, I guess it's good I've cut down significantly the both of them. ain't planning on quitting, though. damn, it's been a week and a half since I've smoked a cigarette, and a week since I've smoked a joint. i believe that's a record for me. Then again, I've been smoking a cigar a day for the past week or so. Zesto would be proud.

4. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

weed has more tar than ciggies. what do you expect?

5. jah

jah Elite Member

im not even going to read that and i can tell you its full of shit!! shit shit shit. weed has 1/3 the ammount of carcinogens than tobacco. and those results came from government testing when they were throwing propaganda at people to keep weed "dangerous". they manipulate their tests to make it work for them.

they tried to say that cannabis had twice as many carcinogens as tobacco. which was technically true but what they dont tell you is that those statistics were for the leaf, not the bud. the bud has 1/3 the amount. and theyre talking about natural tobacco compared to natural cannabis. tobacco you buy will have tons of added poisons. so dont buy the hype.....

6. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

i concur, Jah. You're the jah, after all. For real, though, them govermnment peeps like to lie a lot when it comes to the pot.

7. sneak

sneak Guest

thats been alll over the news here and my mates and i discussed that over a spliff. i cant believe 3 joints is = to 20 cigs at once

8. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

playing devils advocate

I understand what you are saying completely. But don't you think the pro-marijuana movement kicks just as much propaganda as the anti-marijuana movement?

9. jah

jah Elite Member

i dont have time to go into it anymore right now cus i have to go pick up a sachmo from my boy. but im sure when i get back ill be more than happy to discuss/drop a little knowledge...

10. When

When 12oz Loyalist

i smoke american spirits, additive free
    they dont have the chemicals and last twice as long
    cant beat that

11. jah

jah Elite Member

smart man. i still bet they have something in them though. at least in the paper to make it burn evenly and quickly (gunpowder perhaps. thats whats in other gritts). i could easily be wrong though. ive lost faith in a lot of things...

12. When

When 12oz Loyalist

actually they have no 'burn agents'
    if you stop puffing they soon go out

i know they will kill me just the same, but atleast it will be a slower process

13. jah

jah Elite Member

no burn additives or anything huh?? thats cool. i may take up cigarettes. nah not really but thats cool. ok i really have to go get some weed now. fuck, i have to wait for my roommate to get back from taking his psychotic ex bitch back to her house first....

14. Melburnian

Melburnian Guest

Damn i guess im gunna have to stop smoking cannabis because its less dangerous than cigarettes.

hahahaha thats a load of shit if i ever heard of someone smoking weed not because it gets you high but it is safer i would slap them silly.

15. jah

jah Elite Member

i hope youre not implying me. but anyway, it is safer dude. i guarantee youre not talking from knowledge but from what youve heard. weed is way healthier than cigarettes. millions of people die a year from tobacco (directly from tobacco) and there has never (NEVER) been a recorded death caused by cannabis. get your facts straight before you run your mouth like you know what the fuck youre talking about.
    slap yourself silly....