Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Postmodernism

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Milton, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Milton

Milton Senior Member

So I started reading an anthology of Post-modernism in a hopeless attempt to understand a Critical Theory course I'm taking. Basically what it boils down to is that there is no such thing as truth or reason and everything is a social construct betraying our underlying prejudices. I don't know if I buy it... Do you?

2. Gat Bush

Gat Bush Veteran Member

It's called "po-mo" for short.

first.

3. heavyLox

heavyLox Veteran Member

Milton the best thing i can suggest is to try to get a grip of the ideas behind modernsim.

Art isnt the answer, to the worlds issues.

4. heavyLox

heavyLox Veteran Member

Introduction to Postmodernism

The current Postmodern belief is that a correct description of Reality is impossible. This extreme skepticism, of which Karl Popper and Thomas Kuhn are particularly famous, assumes that;
    a) All truth is limited, approximate, and is constantly evolving
    b) No theory can ever be proved true (we can only show that a theory is false)
    c) No theory can ever explain all things
    d) Thus absolute and certain truth that explains all things is unobtainable.

5. sillysiphilis

sillysiphilis Member

It's like hip to say. I say it all the time. Every time I say it girls give me the 'I want to suck your cock' signal. I'm still not sure what it means though.

6. Gat Bush

Gat Bush Veteran Member

^^^ That probably works better than "Hey girl theres something on your shoe".

7. Scarekroe

Scarekroe Member

8. MAR

MAR Veteran Member

Blech :yuck:. The open society and its enemies was a load of bullshit. He doesnt even discredit platos Ideas and hardly dicusses his own.

9. sillysiphilis

sillysiphilis Member

Yea that shit requires spontaneous pelvic thrust action. It can kill if you don't do it right.

10. isor357

isor357 Senior Member

postmodernism was my other 12oz screen name

11. Milton

Milton Senior Member

Okay, fine, you caught me. I am, in fact, a pseudo intellectual. I asked a question about a topic I don't understand, that must be what tipped you off. I'm sorry I don't live up to your standards. Imagine all of the mean things you could say about me if you found out I was trying to be a professor. You'd probably give me a complex. I better keep that on the down low.

Heavy_Lox
    What you said I agree with to some extent. In so far as truth is not knowable, and that our theories are approximations of what we're trying to explain. But that's about as far as I'm willing to go with it. I can't cosign the idea that reason, rationality or logic are social constructs that betray a bias. Are they often used to mask bias, of course, does that mean that they have no vitality without it, I don't think so.

But what do I know, I'm just a pseudo intellectual.

12. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Guest

pseudo intellects i dont mind, self deprecation as a statement on the other hand...

no just kidding. keep going.

i only have a loose grasp on modernity as it is, so ill just listen to you gab about post modernism for now and see what i can pick up on. oh and where do you teach, mr. grad student.

13. sillysiphilis

sillysiphilis Member

Cheer up, Milton, you know most people can't hang with anything of much significance on Channel 0. It's all jokes and trivia and that's why we love it.
    I'll try to be serious for a second though. If I'm on the right page, I agree with you. I think social constructs are important because they work as a harness in the event that one were to vear too far out of stream. I'm not a conformist by any means, but there is reasons why some issues are so contentious, and the most moderate standpoint on most of these issues tend to be what is best. That is what's great about society. There is a whole scale of biases and standpoints, but gathered together you can refine it into a smooth equilibrium running down the middle.
    I'm way more into Socratic thinking than any form of postmodernism. I just see it as verging on complete solipsism, and that couldn't be a good thing. But there's reason behind it. There's no doubt postmodernism and existentialism's weariness of group-think is a biproduct of 20th century atrocities.

14. heavyLox

heavyLox Veteran Member

its hard to generalize casue post modernism is dealt with in various ways in various feilds. The arts and sciences are a bit different.

it does make basic sense that based on your surroundings and perception of reality you form your understanding of the world. Artustically there was this notion that art could accomplish this thing that other disciplines could not. The idea of art as a binder of worlds. Where generally in PM the notion of art having a over arching role or responsibility to the world beyond exploring itself.

i will also say ive steered as clear of PM theory and writtings and crtique as possible. thus i may be full of shit.

15. MAR

MAR Veteran Member

Sounds like your stuck in the renaisance ( :yuck: I always mispell that word).

Anyhow from what I understand graffiti fits into the post-modern art bill.