Posting Pics with numbers

Slyle CMC

I know there is no pics on this post, but it has to do with pics. What are everyones feelings bout posting pics with the number of the trains on them. Im not an expert, but is it possible for those interested in using the info against us to figure where a train has been by the numbers. And in turn could that help in aid where they are being painted. It might be a long shot, but you never know. I only say this cause i have noticed on some sights they block off the numbers? Well let me know.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by slyle:

I know there is no pics on this post, but it has to do with pics. What are everyones feelings bout posting pics with the number of the trains on them. Im not an expert, but is it possible for those interested in using the info against us to figure where a train has been by the numbers. And in turn could that help in aid where they are being painted. It might be a long shot, but you never know. I only say this cause i have noticed on some sights they block off the numbers? Well let me know.

yes they can track em down with the numbers. it's been done before with pictures from the internet. although i'd be more worried about people blabbing stupid shit on the forum than that. it's always better to be safe than sorry. take it from someone who knows...

Guest cracked ass

The biggest danger is posting a freight with numbers showing, AND mentioning when it was done, or that it was just done. I've figured out where a bunch of freight heads operate, right down to the yard, with this info. I can also find out where benchers are from when they catch one of mine and describe it. I know the numbers for that car, so a trace tells me where they were when they saw it, unless the bench list is old and the car is a fast mover.

Aside from linking TIMING with car numbers, I'm not sure how useful car numbers are to the wrong eyes by themselves. It would be an enormous effort to use that info to try and build a case against a specific writer. Let's say Dicko gets busted painting trains in Ohio. A cop sees a flick of a Dicko train on here, and traces it to Barstow, CA. What's he going to do, call the Barstow cops and say "Hey, can you guys wander around the UP receiving yard and see if car SFLC2189 says Dicko on it, and if so mail me a photo?" What for?

I suppose not knowing how the info could be used against you is good enough reason to take the precaution of blurring the numbers in flicks, though.

Depends on much.. I know of one mission that got spoiled and when it hit the courtroom the cops had all the #'s of the cars that were hit. it didnt take a second look to see that they wrote down 1 # then just used all consecutive #'s from there, like VCY 10001. vcy 10002, vcy 10003, vcy 10004, etc. Obvious hack job by the Po's, result: case dismissed.....

Cracked has covered the reasons well enough. I'm actually starting to blur everything now, before I'd leave the letters if they were visible. Now I'm not taking chances. Usually I dont get rid of all the numbers however...I'm too lazy...I just smudge out enough that you cant do anything with the numbers left....better safe then sorry.

i don't think it would matter as long as you didn't say "hey look at what i painted on july 5th?".

then, on the off chance that some fed saw this, took the inititive to trace it, all he would have is the yard where it was painted. that doesn't bust the writer, and although the given fed might then take the inititive to call that yard and tell them that someone did graffiti there. its not like they are going to start hiring all kinds of cops or patroling more.

a friend of mine worked at a train yard and said the only 2 things they were worried about were safety of the workers and making sure the trains worked.

the people in charge though graff was cool and could care less if it was being done in their yard.

this is not to say that its a good idea to go down to your local train yard and do wholecars in the middle of the day, but i doubt if posting flicks with numbers will blow a yard or anything.

what crackedass said about things going the other way, where a kid gets busted, the cops see a train with the numbers, get in touch with the yard where it is then, get them to flick it and send them the flicks. but there is not a whole lot they can do at that point. if the rail company decided to press charges at all, they would still have a hard time prooving that it was the said-writer that did it. depending on what the laws are in the state where you live, it might or moght not matter. in some states they can track down everything you do and charge you for it. in others they can only bust you for what they catch you doing qand although they might try to show you flicks of other stuff and get you to say you did it, they can only charge you if you admit to it. you can just say its some toy biting your style, or a better move would be to say your just some toy biting someone elses style (if you can take the blow to the ol' ego).

enough rambling. i know a lot of writers who trace they're own trains to keep an eye on theyre children and would love to see just what number you see rolling. it lets them know that they're babies are ok.

Archived