Post your Flickr account.

seppuku

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Comparing Flickr to Photobucket is like comparing apples to oranges. Photobucket is nice for uploading random pictures and hot-linking them to a forum, like you said. But Flickr is more of an actual archive of your photography. It's highly organizable and you can have contacts, which are like, friends, whose, um, photos you can look at.. it's really neat.

I was hoping that at least one 12ozer would have a Flickr account. Bummer.

Originally posted by seppuku@Jan 10 2005, 02:18 PM

Comparing Flickr to Photobucket is like comparing apples to oranges. Photobucket is nice for uploading random pictures and hot-linking them to a forum, like you said. But Flickr is more of an actual archive of your photography. It's highly organizable and you can have contacts, which are like, friends, whose, um, photos you can look at.. it's really neat.

I was hoping that at least one 12ozer would have a Flickr account. Bummer.

No, it definitely looks cool, but I hit 65% of my upload limit just getting a few pictures up. Plus it's a beta version of the site, so like all the other photo sites before them they're just using free users as a test run before they start charging too much for it.

The photos you are uploading must be huge? I've uploaded about 15 photos this month and i'm only at 20%. It definitely helps to have a pro account, but yeah.. money. And they say they will always have free accounts. This site has been running for two years now I think. Frankly, I don't know why it's still in beta. Same goes for Google and all of their services.

Originally posted by seppuku@Jan 10 2005, 03:05 PM

The photos you are uploading must be huge? I've uploaded about 15 photos this month and i'm only at 20%. It definitely helps to have a pro account, but yeah.. money. And they say they will always have free accounts. This site has been running for two years now I think. Frankly, I don't know why it's still in beta. Same goes for Google and all of their services.

Well honestly the only reason I would want a service with the features of this one over say, photobucket, is so I could upload some higher resolution pictures and give some of my friends the ability to download them through an easier interface than whatever I could muster up in php in a couple hours. High res jpegs = bandwidth.

i have hundreds of flicks uploaded, and i have found the best one to be photobucket so far, and doubt i will go elsewhere, Its just the easiest. What does flickr have that photobucket dosent?

edit* i see you say you cant compare the two, which is fine, but if gnome uploads a few and is almost full at 65%, what features are good about it? im askin honestly here

Originally posted by onesecondple@Jan 10 2005, 04:39 PM

i have hundreds of flicks uploaded, and i have found the best one to be photobucket so far, and doubt i will go elsewhere, Its just the easiest. What does flickr have that photobucket dosent?

edit* i see you say you cant compare the two, which is fine, but if gnome uploads a few and is almost full at 65%, what features are good about it? im askin honestly here

Basically it has options for your images to be commented upon, some kind of useless myspace-like profile system, options for blogs, options to upload your original size image, etc... None of which I really care for except the full size image thing, but you have to pay to get any real use out of that. I wasn't even doing my full size images, just ~2MP jpegs, and I'm using up that much already...

Originally posted by onesecondple@Jan 10 2005, 09:39 PM

The fact that it is a community. People can leave comments on your photos. You can set privacy levels for each photo. Upload by email, phone, MACS! You can tag your photos and people can search by tags. You can browse other people's photos and they can do the same with yours. You can add photos you find to your "Favorites" and you can view yours and other people's favorites at any time. Granted that free accounts are not for hi-res photos, but if you scale them down, it will be sufficient. I'm not trying to get you to convert or anything, I just think it's a neat site.

Guest imported_b0b

Flickr isn't just mean to be a free photo host, to allow you to link your pictures in forums. Flickr is very good for the advanced features stuff such as sets (their term for albums) and for generally sharing your photos online. You can assign keywords to your photos so people searching flickr can find them, you can have contacts, set privacy levels to friends or family or everyone (or different combos) and all sorts. If you generally like photos and generally share them in an online album already then flickr is great. If you aren't into that and just need a free host it is not for you.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...