POST HERE IF YOU'RE PROUD TO BE AMERICAN!

non-hetero

http://www.fiu.edu/~mizrachs/upside-down-flag.JPG'>

http://www.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/11/20/ge...quiz/index.html

WHERE IN THE WORLD

Among 18- to 24-year-old Americans given maps:

87 percent cannot find Iraq

83 percent cannot find Afghanistan

76 percent cannot find Saudi Arabia

70 percent cannot find New Jersey

49 percent cannot find New York

11 percent cannot find the United States

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I don't doubt it

But statistics are like anything else, the story they really reveal is about the PERSON ASKING THE QUESTIONS, not the person answering them. Let's take that same list of questions and go to any European country and ask them. Of course, a certain number of people will fail to know the answers. Whether that's 11% or 15% or whatever. I'm surprised that people did as well as they did, considering how little effort most people put into school.

The kids I work with can't tell you who the Governor of the State of Texas is, and virtually nothing about how their government works, but they know the name of every rapper, what label they record for, the name of their last three CD's and virtually all the words to all the songs.

They can barely remember the Pledge of Allegiance, but they know all the esoteric gang signs, the Byzantine nonsense about what "number" is associated with their favorite gang, what colors which set uses, the history of the gang, etc., etc.

You cannot convince me that the United States is lame just because a certain percentage of people deliberately ignore all attempts to educate them and make them part of the larger society. People who deliberately choose to be alienated can expect to be left behind educationally, economically, politically and socially. It is NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF SOCIETY to shore you up. It is exactly the opposite. It is YOUR responsibility to learn, participate and produce. If one chooses to refuse, so be it. Don't whine about being left out and ignored.

When I was in the Marines, the first few days of Boot Camp, the troop handlers identified a certain number of recruits who could not read or write well enough to be a rifleman in an infantry company. (Believe me, the educational level necessary is very low.)

These individuals were "dropped" back to Academic Proficiency Platoon. Despite TWELVE YEARS of education, they still had refused to learn. But not in the Marine Corps. In APP, they got a high-school education, reading, writing, simple math (adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing and fractions), American history, civics and economics, in SIX WEEKS.

Of course, they had a Drill Instructor screaming in both ears at top volume the whole time.

It can be done. It's just most civilians are too pussy to make it happen.

Guest old_woman

Dirty_Gary said Palestinian Freedom Fighter

Niggaz dont even know where Palestine is huh??

see, my type of cats can tell u where motherfuckin former countries been, at empires ans hit before that shit/

WHAT DID METHOD MAN SAY IN THAT LAST LINE?

/???? pack a slingshot blow!

If anyone is interested in knowing George Bush's process for deciding whether or not to bomb a country, here it is:

First, he gets a map, and a dart, he throws the dart, then finds the country w/ the most oil closest to where the dart landed.

Simple, easy, Bush-like.

I should go to sleep.

- Make love, not war.

Guest SMUGGLER RSH
Originally posted by old_woman

Dirty_Gary said Palestinian Freedom Fighter

Niggaz dont even know where Palestine is huh??

see, my type of cats can tell u where motherfuckin former countries been, at empires ans hit before that shit/

WHAT DID METHOD MAN SAY IN THAT LAST LINE?

/???? pack a slingshot blow!

Old_Bitch.............You need to practice spelling and grammer. You have the equivalent of a 2nd Grade writing level if your lucky.

Guest SMUGGLER RSH

In New Zealand they did a similar study with young people from 15 to about 25. They found that 80% or so couldn`t place New Zealand on a map. With 5% thinking that England was New Zealand......I mean come one shit it isn`t hard there is only one country that is larger near you [Australia] and shit it isnt hard to find that...........Fricking look at the map instead of just listening to what the teacher says

eseLokE1uno

The reason the Marine Corps doesn't have Academic Proficiency Platoon anymore is that they don't recruit illiterate kids any more. Today, to get in the Corps you must have either a high school diploma (and better than a "C" average) or 20 semester hours of college.

In 1976, when I enlisted, they were hard up for recruits, and they were taking anybody who could sign his name and raise his hand up to swear in. Fat, skinny, dumb and smart, sick, lame, lazy, blind, crippled or crazy. They weeded out the complete fuck-ups in Boot Camp, and the rest of us they made into Marines. I was no prize myself, and under today's rules I would probably not make the grade. But, I turned out to be a pretty good Marine. I am grateful for everything they did for me, and I would still be a screw-up, probably, if I had not joined the Marine Corps.

Archived