Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

POP Bags

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by shai, Sep 22, 2005.

1. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

[attachmentid=21760]

I started making messenger bags sometime in 2003 for a lot of reasons.

Mainly, I like to sew, and I was dissatisfied with a lot of the bags that I was seeing out there....With the exception of Reload and some other smaller companies, no one was too interested in the design side of bagmaking at that point...

I asked a friend (the guy doing Freight Bags out of SF) if he would show me the basics to making a simple bag, and get the hang of an industrial machine. It took a while, but by the spring of 2003, Number One was completed. I finally got my own machine and a list of local fabric dumpsters, and started getting busy. Right away, people were interested, since no one locally had experimented with messenger bag design....most of what was out there was pretty plain, unless the owner customized it. The idea of custom graphics was still catching on.

Through trial and error, I came up with a couple of sizes that I liked. The color schemes, graphics, and attention to detail were my favorite part of the process. I never made the same thing twice, and still don't- other people can do that better, faster, and cheaper than me. It's not my goal to compete...this is a ongoing design project three years in the making and still going strong.

I was lucky to work for Reload briefly...I believe that Ellie may be the bast bagmaker so far, hands down. Her sense of craft and design definitely influenced what I do, sometimes to the point where people ask me if I'm wearing a Reload bag...I say no, But I always feel flattered by that.

Commisions are very limited, as are sales. In a good year, I may make 30-40 bags. Each one is handmade from beginning to end, entirely by me-the only way I know how. All seams are doublestitched, at least. I've never had a bag come back yet, and have had three minor repairs in three years...

I can be reached via email through this site...I am currently working on a site of my own, and will update with a link here.

The following photos are some examples of what I've been up to in 2005. Enjoy.

[attachmentid=21751]

[attachmentid=21752]

[attachmentid=21753]

[attachmentid=21754]

[attachmentid=21755]

[attachmentid=21756]

[attachmentid=21757]

[attachmentid=21758]

Attached Files:

2. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

Part two...

[attachmentid=21762]

[attachmentid=21763]

[attachmentid=21764]

[attachmentid=21765]

[attachmentid=21766]

[attachmentid=21767]

[attachmentid=21768]

Attached Files:

3. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

And, part three.

[attachmentid=21770]

[attachmentid=21771]

[attachmentid=21772]

[attachmentid=21773]

[attachmentid=21774]

[attachmentid=21775]

[attachmentid=21777]

[attachmentid=21778]

Sorry about the not-so-good photos...I'll work on that when the site gets rolling. Hopefully these convey the idea.

Attached Files:

4. FunTimePartyTeam

FunTimePartyTeam Senior Member

Ive often considered doing the same thing. Where are you out of? And how much loot do you charge for the bags. Are they coated inside for waterproofing?

5. photoflashfocusrecord

photoflashfocusrecord New Jack

6. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

I'm in Oakland. As far as making bags yourself goes, if you have access to an industrial machine, and can get your hands on the materials, why not? Your first couple of attempts will be...let's say, discouraging. But, the learning curve isn't bad at all, and I've noticed a strange correlation between writers and bagmakers (design?) so you have a edge, doubly so if you have sewing experience. A lot of community colleges have sewing classes, and usually have the type of machine you'll need to do the heavy work (Important!- This type of sewing will kill a home machine in no time. I use a machine that is designed for sailmakers, and wouldn't recommend anything less.)

Email or PM me for more info regarding prices and whatnot. Out of respect for 12 oz., I'd rather keep any business off the board. Mostly, I want people to see what I do here, but I won't balk at making deals-I just don't think I should do that here...

Here's a new one...just finished it this morning. It is mostly recycled scrap, hence the "striking" color scheme. It's also big enough to put a (empty) laundry basket into. It's surprisingly comfortable for its size, too.

[attachmentid=21816]

[attachmentid=21817]

[attachmentid=21818]

[attachmentid=21819]

More to come...

Attached Files:

7. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

Oh, yeah, I use heavy-duty truck tarp to line the bags. It would be misleading to say they are waterproof, since the seams let some water in, but anything in the bag in a rainstorm will stay dry. I usually keep a garbage bag in my bag for the whole winter...that keeps everything totally dry.

So, "water-resistant" would be more accurate.

8. dear sas

dear sas Junior Member

i like these a lot. i like the simplicity in some of them most. the dark purple/blue, with pink strap would is fresh, but not mens color. you should think of making a few like that, in black and white. maybe black and lime green. but really good stuff. maybe some photos of people modeling them? props on courage in putting your home made products out into the internet world. how much these go for is the number one most popular question :cool:

9. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

Man, those colors did NOT come out well! I had to use my cell to take those pics since the batteries ran out on my real camera. I'll repost them soon, and size them a little better...these came out a little too small.

Oh, thank you for the compliment...it was no big deal for me to post here, actually. I felt that I should post some recent work here, since I haven't been doing anything on the street lately...things change. I've been trying to split my time between sewing, drawing, learning HTML, full time job, and making time for my girlfriend...painting and socializing are on hold till further notice.

I'm trying to get the site going right now...I'm on hiatus, for the most part, from sewing so I could think about noe to get this going the right way...plus, I had been neglecting drawing, and I missed it. I had a few sewing projects I had to finish for friends that came out well, so I figured I'd share them here. So far, the response has been good. I'm trying to market them locally (Bay Area) first, and then doing limited web sales to whoever out there wants them...but, I'm doing it solo, for now, so I'm trying to pace myself so I don't burn out and take another six month break.

I doubt I'll use models, other than friends and family...they cost too damn much. :haha:

For pricing, PM me or email me.

10. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

once again, very cool.

11. rick flair

rick flair Dirty Dozen Crew

good to see some one doing something with there life!!

12. FunTimePartyTeam

FunTimePartyTeam Senior Member

Plasti-Dip sells a coating that you could spread accross the nylon or whatever fabric (Natural fabrics will soak up the thinner and i dont reccomend) in order to make it waterproof. If you wanted. The only trick is making the coating even because, well its kinda tricky. Anyway, its not to expensive and comes in a variety of baisc colors. Super fumy when wet so use your respirator.

peace, and good luck.

13. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

Thanks for the tip...I don't think I would treat my fabric, however, on account of A) graff supplies me with a lifetime's worth of fumes, B) Money, forever and ever, amen, and C) I'm the laziest man on five continents, sometimes.

I'm starting to think you do some kind of work with fabric as well. Either outdoor furniture or awnings, would be my guess.

14. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

:haha: That's just the side I want everyone to see...33% of my time is spent rather frivolously...at a day job. I drink a lot, too, and I like to hang out with the ol' lady and watch bad movies while drinking. 12 oz. is also a black hole that my time seems to get sucked into. I pencil in sleep here and there, as well.

I try not to sew too much, since it is work, and I get bored with it if I'm not careful. Last year, I took six months off, and didn't miss it. But, I'm aiming to be more consistent now, since it's hard to explain to folks that you don't have any stock simply because you don't feel like making more stock, since you have rediscovered The Joy Of Slacking Off.

15. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Veteran Member

This is very fascninating...

1) Those bags look really awesome.

2) I've owned a few different bags over the past couple years. Every one of them was pretty bad, I finally invested in a SuperPro from Baileyworks in Boston back in the Spring. I love this bag to death. I was considering bags from Pac and Reload but couldnt fathom spending quite so much on a bag since I'm not a messenger. The bag does however take its share of abuse from painting related stuff and being used daily to and from work and everywhere else as well as on my bike. Your bags do look very similar to Reload (Thats a compliment...).

3) I'd be very interested to know more about this. Specifically, price ranges based on what youve done so far, and more on the process and if each bag is more or less customer designed (which is the feeling I get from your pics and posts...). If youd rather not discuss any of that on here, feel free to PM me.