Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

polygamy?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by cornelius, Dec 15, 2001.

1. cornelius

cornelius Member

i just had a conversation about it on AIM... odd, but whatever..

girl: how do you define polygamy?
    cornelius: i'd say it would be having more than one significant other, and i can't do that
    girl: how come? (not that you should...just curiosity)
    cornelius: well take what i have now for example, all the feelings and emotions are directed towards tilley, that's how i feel..
    girl: you look at love as a limited resource and if you spread it out between more than one person there's less for each to go around?
    cornelius: hahaha.. no no.. i guess i'm trying to say.. if i'm in love with someone it's impossible for me to have those same feelings for someone else
    girl: hmm.. crazy
    cornelius: when i'm in love with one person.... i'm not worried about anyone else
    girl: hmm
    cornelius: i'm not searching for anyone.. i've found who i was searching for
    girl: yeah that's not what i'm sayin
    cornelius: off topic, but i smell like chili..
    girl: i'm glad if you, or anyone, can find all of your needs and desires (and whatever) met & fulfilled in a single person
    girl: what if tilley (or whoever you might be with) found that she wanted to be involved in "romantic" (or whatever you wanna call em) relationships with other people in addition to you.?
    cornelius: i would feel kind of heartbroken
    girl: how come?
    cornelius: what we shared wouldn't seem as special... pretty simple answer
    girl: why? i mean, i think that each relationship between two people is totally unique---people like each other for different reasons, on different levels, and in different ways. no combination of people can ever be duplicated so the relationship between you two would be no less special, as i see it
    cornelius: i try not to mix logic with emotions... it tends to muffle things...
    cornelius: they don't seem as pure...
    girl: it's your life and your relationships. and whatever works for you--whatever your heart really tells you--is best. i'm just asking.
    cornelius: yeah i know
    cornelius: i would feel as if i didn't mean as much
    cornelius: i guess if you saw us you would understand....... it's as if we connect on every level... we share everything... it's perfect
    girl: all i'm saying is, it could...i don't know...be interesting, maybe even worth something, to explore why that would make you feel like it didn't mean as much. to me it's kind of like your best friend having other friends; it doesn't change the uniqueness, specialness, beauty, strength, depth, or worth of your relationship with your best friend
    girl: i've been in love i know how that is. it's amazing, and i'm happy for you
    cornelius: the way i look at it, she's more than a best friend
    girl: of course she is
    girl: that's not what i'm saying
    cornelius: the things we share... it's something that only we have..... if she were to share those sorts of feelings for others..... it would make me feel as if i weren't worth as much
    girl: i'm just saying that having multiple relationships of the same general type doesn't necessarily diminish the worth (or anything else) of each individual relationship
    girl: but how i look at it, she could never share those same exact emotions with someone else
    girl: cos it's you she feels them for and it's you and she together that bring out those feelings in her. any other combination would be different. perhaps no less special, but in its own way. different.
    cornelius: if you're completely in love with someone... how could you share that with another? i mean.... the other relationship wouldn't even seem that special..
    cornelius: and if she shared what we have with someone else.... then it wouldn't really be love at all..
    girl: you can be completely in love with more than one person, each for different reasons and in its own way. it's not sharing what you have....it's having many unique loves
    girl: i just don't believe in property of objects, or people. i don't think loving one person makes you less able to love another...fully, or at all
    girl: given, it can be intense to focus a ton on many people...you only have so much time, after all
    girl: but love is not a limited resource.
    cornelius: i'm not saying she's my property
    girl: i know. i'm not saying you are
    cornelius: i'm not saying it's a limited resource
    girl: i'm not saying you are
    cornelius: i'm saying i'm in love with her. and i don't even want to think about starting relationships with other people
    girl: that's fine
    cornelius: because she's everything i've ever dreamed of, and more
    girl: i think that this conversation is intermixing ideas on the subject in general, with your current personal life which isn't what i meant to do at all.
    cornelius: well logically, your theory does make sense but emotionally it just doesn't work for me
    girl: whatever works for you, is what is best. like i said. your heart knows better than any theory of any kind
    cornelius: yeah, i don't get too political with my love it would fuck things up for sure. i go with what my heart tells me... if i think about things, i'll fail
    girl: but...i'm not saying this is you at all...but in general, sometimes people confuse their own emotions with social conditioning. so i think when it seems possible/workable, and worthwhile, it's worth looking into. which is all i try to do on this subject.
    cornelius: ... yeah..

2. wanker

wanker New Jack

i will comment with something of substance in a second...

for now, man, i can't believe you took the time out to change the aim names. i wouldn't have the patience for that mess.

3. wanker

wanker New Jack

does that girl like you?

4. cornelius

cornelius Member

well we've messed around before... she's this train hopping/political type girl... we met up in NYC after all that sept. 11 stuff.. i'd say yeah, she likes me...

5. wanker

wanker New Jack

yeah way to stand your ground. i think that girl was waiting for you to cave, but alas, you did not.

i'm a one man kind of gal but she brings up a good point about love not being like a limited resource.

hmmm...i will be pondering this one...

6. cornelius

cornelius Member

to me, she thinks about things way too much... way too political for me... and yeah.. i was bored.. needed somethin to waste time.. so i switched out the names and shit..

7. cornelius

cornelius Member

no, love is not a limited resource. i can't even begin to understand how anybody could materialize love in the first place.

8. HAL

HAL Guest

Right on man. Feelings for another person isn't like an oil reserve. It lasts forever.

9. I always want to feel that special things in my life are meant for ME, you may call that selfish or whatever but thats the only way i can be dedicated to something.

Wisest line:
    "cornelius: yeah, i don't get too political with my love it would fuck things up for sure."

Dumpest line:
    "girl: i just don't believe in property of objects, or people. i don't think loving one person makes you less able to love another...fully, or at all"

It seems to me that trying to be open to many options really distracts you from finding your self and the things that you feel complete with.
    I'm not saying that one should be wearing blinkers, finding whats 'right'
    is a tough break but once you're close to it, it needs dedication.
    Its a form of emotional greedyness(sp?), people that think that expanding has to do with jumping from one thing to another when its all about things that LEAD you to other things.

On a political sidenote, utopias, sadly, dont work out. They exist as an idea but there is no practical pattern of appliance in them.
    Communism is a great example.

10. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder 12oz Loyalist

that girl seems to have some problems. it also sounds like she wants your nuts.

11. usedtolove

usedtolove New Jack

i wonder what bullshit college book she read that week...

12. d-town_bomber

d-town_bomber Veteran Member

so basically shes sayin she would cheat on u?

13. MR BOJANGLES

MR BOJANGLES Guest

YOUR GIRLS NAME IS TILLEY???...wierd

14. cornelius

cornelius Member

hahaha, yeah tilley is short for matilda. she has an awesome name, i love it!