police scanners

yeah so i have a 30 channle portable scanner that i listen to as i sit here on the computer.....i never take it painting however...i use it mostly for the fire department so i can listen to the ill fires and accidents and go check them out and shit..

so a little bit ago the one police channle that i dont have blocked out runs my buddes name of the radio...he came up as having a suspended license so i called the dudes he lives with incase he got arrested....he ended up being let go

i think these things are key because you can peep some sick shit like fire and accidents and they come in super handy for shit like this....everyone pops jokes about me but in my eyes...while they are being arrested im listening to it and calling people to gather up there bail money....

whats your take..how many of you have scanners..what do you use them for...what are some crazy/funny calls you have heard

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

my mmate's got one of those. they come in real handy. can't take it painting though, it makes too much noise.

we rock the walkie-talkie status when we go paint somewhere harsh and have a couple spotters working the angles. proper army style.

Mr. ABC/15 years and never been busted oner

so... yeah, you can learn SO much more than the papers tell you but, bringing it along might be a bad thing.

Mostly to combat crack dealers that would monitor police radio, MANY jurisdictions have made it a seperate crime for you to use a scanner to help you with crime...

What you SHOULD be doing, if you live in a middle or smaller metro area... listen for disasters and then hop in the cah and roll to the other side of town to bomb... or maybe figure out scheduling patterns so you can hit during the 'switch' when most of the fresh cops are getiing the briefing and leaving the house while the previous shift is coming in to punch thier time cards... this can be a productive time...

nuff said

Smart, that’s a good idea.

My buddy and I are planning on using walkie-talkies for graff instead of real crime. I’ve heard that police can pick that shit up, though. Is it true, anyone? I’m saying, that’s very easy to take care of, but I’m just wondering.

Originally posted by Weapon X

Smart, that’s a good idea.

My buddy and I are planning on using walkie-talkies for graff instead of real crime. I’ve heard that police can pick that shit up, though. Is it true, anyone? I’m saying, that’s very easy to take care of, but I’m just wondering.

when we use walking talkies the only time anything is said is if police/security or whatever are coming and generally it's just a quick "get out" and that's it. not much for the cops to pick up on really

Yeah, that’s what I meant by the “easily taken care of, but I was just wondering..” I’ve used 2ways for missions, but this year, they will be used for graffiti.

You don’t have to say nothing, because most walkietalkies have those ‘beep’ buttons. So you can just have a simple code.

The Texas Militia did radio testing

They tested all different kinds of radios--CB, UHF/VHF, HAM, business-class radios, FRS, etc. In the city or close to the repeaters, the HAM and Business radios worked the best. The local HAM repeater is on the roof of a multi-story local hospital, and the repeater radio is supported by the hospital's emergency generator (if the city loses power, the repeater will still work, because the hospital will be running on emergency diesel generators.)

Second best was the business-class radios, because they work off a repeater with a 130-foot commercial radio antenna tower, but if the city loses power, the repeater goes out.

The militia assumed that in a situation serious enough to mobilize the state reserve military forces (the militia--average everyday male civilians) that power to the city would be cut, and possibly also to the hospital, so other than direct line-of-sight radio ("simplex" it's called), both HAM and Business-class radios were limited, and in a genuine emergency, no better, really, than CB or FRS. Plus, anytime the Government wanted to, they could shut off the land-line telephones, the Internet, cell phones, and all commercial TV and broadcast radio.

Cell phones have the added hazard of being able to be located precisely by triangulation from three cell-phone towers. You can forget privacy on a cell phone---it does not exist.

That left CB, UHF/VHF and FRS (Family Radio Service). Hand-held, line-of-sight CB and hand-held LOS HAM worked about the same. They were very disappointed by the poor performance of both UHF/VHF and FRS radios in the densely wooded, rolling hills of the Sam Houston National Forest. UHF/VHF and FRS worked moderately well in the open pastures, cropland and scattered woods west of Houston.

Weirdly enough, what worked best of all, in all situations, was regular old redneck CB. And it has the added atvantage of already being widely dispersed among the civilian population. When one adds a linear amplifier and a pre-amp to boost the signal up to around 100W or so, it really works better. And the higher the antenna, the greater the line-of-sight. They were getting 35 miles out of a standard CB rig with a 100W footwarmer, with a di-pole antenna shot up into the trees with a bow and arrow.

The really hard-core militia radio guys use 2-meter HAM, and they are all licensed.