Planet with three suns challenges astronomers

Æ°

link here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050714/sc_nm/space_suns_dc

Planet with three suns challenges astronomers

In a scenario out of "Star Wars," astronomers have detected a planet outside our solar system with not one, but three suns, a finding that challenges astronomers' theories of planetary formation.

The planet, a gas giant slightly larger than Jupiter, orbits the main star of a triple-star system known as HD 188753 in the constellation Cygnus ("The Swan").

The stellar trio and its planet are about 149 light-years from Earth and about as close to each other as our sun is to Saturn, U.S. scientists reported on Thursday in the current edition of the journal Nature.

A light-year is about 6 trillion miles, the distance light travels in a year.

If you stood on the planet's surface, you would see three suns in sky, although its orbit centers around the main yellow star among the trio. The larger of the other two suns would be orange and the smaller would be red, astronomers at California Institute of Technology said in a statement.

The new finding could upset existing theories that planets usually form out of gas and dust circling a single star, and could lead scientists to look in new places for planets.

"The implication is that there are more planets out there than we thought," the commentary said.

Caltech astronomer Maciej Konacki, who wrote the research article, refers to the new type of planets as "Tatooine planets," because of the similarity to Luke Skywalker's view of his home planet by the same name, with its multiple suns, in the original "Star Wars" film.

The fact that a planet can even exist in a multiple-star system is amazing in itself, according to Konacki. Binary and multiple stars are quite common in the solar neighborhood, and in fact outnumber single stars by some 20 percent.

But so far, most extrasolar planets -- those discovered outside our planetary system -- have been detected by watching for a characteristic wobble in the stars their orbit, reflecting the gravitation pull the planets exert on their suns.

This method is less effective for binary and multiple star systems, and existing theories said planets were unlikely to form in this kind of environment.

Konacki found a new way to identify planets by measuring velocities of all bodies in a binary or multiple star system.

trinary_sunset_small-1.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I used to think past theories on planet formation made a lot of sense, and considered the matter a closed book. It's possible this is just a freak episode, but there's a lot of room for freak situations in the universe.

Chaos is the perfect system.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by sleepyceas2-@Jul 20 2005, 01:02 AM

there is one question, and there is no answer because we cant even comprehend and have the capacity to understand why or how.

why we live

Welcome to the source of religion.

O mankind! Worship your Lord (Allâh), Who created you and those who were before you so that you may become Al-Muttaqûn (the pious - see V.2:2). (Al-Baqarah 2:21)

All praises and thanks be to Allâh, Who (Alone) created the heavens and the earth, and originated the darkness and the light, yet those who disbelieve hold others as equal with their Lord. (Al-An'am 6:1)

We created not the heavens and the earth and all that is between them for a (mere) play . (Al-Anbiya 21:16)

Did you think that We had created you in play (without any purpose), and that you would not be brought back to Us?" (Al-Mu'minun 23:115)

you have been created so that you might be put to trial , to see which ones of you will be best in deeds.

Originally posted by RumPuncher@Jul 22 2005, 04:34 PM

I think there's an Asimov book about a planet with 7 suns

and for the first time in the history of that planet's people,

all the suns will set at once. What would a planet that never

knew night do and and how would the people react?

How do you know there are people there? or is this just hypothetical?

Originally posted by El Mamerro+Jul 20 2005, 06:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (El Mamerro - Jul 20 2005, 06:34 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-sleepyceas2-@Jul 20 2005, 01:02 AM

there is one question, and there is no answer because we cant even comprehend and have the capacity to understand why or how.

why we live

Welcome to the source of religion.

[/b]

not so much religion as philosophy.

one love.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I'd say both. Religion was our first answer to that question, which we now know to be philosophical in nature. It came before we were even aware of "philosophy" per se.

Originally posted by Biggus Dickus@Jul 23 2005, 02:44 PM

Asimov is a fiction writer, you scumfucking idiot.

Look!, I would smash youre teeth out, If you ever spoke like that to me in my face, But In reality, you would never do that, because only cowards would start beef on the internet, so Consider yourself forgiven, due to the fact We will probably never meet,

Just dont act like a tough guy online,

thank you.

Originally posted by Dawood@Jul 25 2005, 08:23 PM

Look!, I would smash youre teeth out, If you ever spoke like that to me in my face, But In reality, you would never do that, because only cowards would start beef on the internet, so Consider yourself forgiven, due to the fact We will probably never meet,

Just dont act like a tough guy online,

thank you.

I'll be careful, I wouldn't want you and your dangerous e-muslim-crew to smash "I am teeth out". I won't speak to you in your face, don't worry.

No need to declare jihad on me.

whatever, man, just be more courteous to people, and they will be more courteous to you. simple....

I dont want to hurt anyone, Im not violent, but if someone said that to your face what would you do? You would probably want to clock him right? ..thats all...just making a point...

Be more courteous , Its better for you.

peace and love huh.

dawood that is really pathetic

"i'd smash your teeth out"

followed by

"don't act like a tough guy online"

maybe you should take your own advice before you go around offering forgiveness.

and forgiveness on the condition of never meeting?

you really are not that benevolent if you even threatened him in the first place

nah mean?

i'm deleting all these fucking posts if you go offf on this.

Whatever, man, It's over, All I'm saying is that the way people talk online is rediculous , because this guy would never say some stuff like that to my face and it is some real punk s*%t ( I try not to swear, i have 4 kids) to come out the pocket like that for no reason....the way Rumpuncher responded was sufficient and to the point. That wouldve been sufficient as an answer for Buggus Drukis , but he started something, It's like that dude in school who whispers some stuff about your mother in your ear and when you clock him he goes and tells the teacher and now I look like the bad guy....And look, I never claimed to be benevolent, I am not too far removed from being in the streets buggin out. I live different now, anyway, Draggus Brackus , Its squashed , man I'm not about internet beef, C'mon man, didn't they ever tell you if you poke your fingers in the cage you might get them bit?

For the record, I would mouth off to you in real life. I live in an area where by the time you and your muslim crew landed a punch on me there'd be about 10 good old boys with shotguns and a rope, nobody would see any of you again, and the police wouldn't investigate it. This is the internet though, we're not talking about reality. If I call you a scumfucker, you're supposed to call me a dickhead, and get it over with. Threats have no place here

If you can knock your wife up four times you should be old enough to not take the internet seriously. Idiot.