PLANE CRASH IN CANADA

050802_plane_hmed_2p.hmedium.jpg

MSNBC staff and news service reports

Updated: 6:01 p.m. ET Aug. 2, 2005

TORONTO - A passenger jetliner carrying more than 200 people erupted in flames Tuesday after skidding off a runway while landing in a fierce thunderstorm at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport. Black smoke billowed into the air as the wreck burned.

A Toronto radio station said some passengers were seen climbing from the plane and that most of the others had been safely evacuated.

Police said the plane was an Air France A340 from Paris that was trying to land at Canada’s busiest airport when it ran into trouble. There was a storm — with lightning and strong wind gusts — in the area at the time.

Police spokeswoman Diane Cossitt said she heard over police scanners that the passengers and crew were evacuated. “That is my understanding from what I’ve heard, but I’ve got no confirmation one way or the other,” she said.

Toronto Fire Services Capt. David Sheen told CNN that he understood some casualties had been taken to hospitals but had no information on their condition.

Survivors rescued

AM 680, an all-news station, reported live from the scene that there were two explosions on the plane. The station quoted a police official on the nearby freeway as saying two groups of passengers had been evacuated from the jet.

AM 680 also said some passengers could be seen climbing from the plane and that emergency workers said most of the 252 people on board were safe. The report could not immediately be confirmed.

Another report from Global TV said that there were 291 people aboard, and that all survived, but that could not be independently confirmed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8801092/

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

There aren't any known fatalities yet...pretty amazing.

The link has a video.

"Roel Bramar, a passenger who said he was the second person off the plane, told the CBC the plane came to rest in the woods after “a hell of a roller coaster going down the ravine,” and that a flight attendant was able to deploy the escape chute before the plane erupted in flames ."

It is crazy that everyone survived, but why fly into a thunderstorm. The plane has more than enough fuel to stay up for a couple hours more than required. About an hour after they said that it was getting sunny, so i say they should've waited and avoided the whole thing. Oh and fuck the way the press is all up on the people. They're injured and they're being bothered. Fuck that.

Originally posted by villain@Aug 2 2005, 10:31 PM

Due to changing atmospheric conditions and jetstream temperatures, meteorologists are expecting the worst hurricane season in all known history this year. It has already started early and goes until november.

I call bullshit. Last year's were much more devastating than this!