Pitbulls?

Tyler Durden

So.....My lady friend wants a dog. And she really dislikes pussy dogs. So it looks like we're getting a pitbull in a few weeks from a shelter in Ct. Now....I'm aware of alot of the myths/horror stories about pits but this shelter is supposedly a reliable rescue for pitbulls and this one is a very young puppy...we're actually just waiting for it to be ready to take home because it was born on the 28th of August.

Now, my question to anyone who owns one or has owned one...is what kind of training did you put your dog through? I've heard alot of conflicting info about some weird sounding shit people have "insisted" we do to bring it up right...

I'm very much looking forward to having a dog again.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i had a pitbull living with me for a while, i think it was 18 months, pretty shitty how the girl said it was stayin here for a week and it ended up here for about 2 months total. i liked her and all and she listened to me, but the girl who owned it hit her a lot and it didnt really listen to her. Good luck, they are fun, sorry i didnt help with the training though, take money outta someone's pocket, that might help

i had a rott.... both are considered aggresive dogs.. so you have to be sure to let the dog know your the boss "alpha" ... specially if your getting a male. are you going to have him nuetered? i would .. calms them down alot more (mine wasnt)..but when he gets to that stage usually 8 months plus..most aggressive dogs will try testing you..make the dog do a command like "sit" before you give it food..

and also test its temperant.. do you want a mean dog?? a nice one?? a calm one? there are test you can do..to see the "personality of a dog" like rolling it over onto his back..will he bite you? and pinching its hind legs when on its back..

i used to have a brendel pit. for the most part it was a great dog. it eventually got mange and we got rid of it because we had other dogs. it was sad. but pits have a high tendency to get skin diseases and the mange dip is like $300 a month. its not that much but $300 more than i have to blow. anyway i really want one of those red ones...with the tan skin, green eyes and pink noses. they are such goodlooking dogs

Originally posted by Tyler Durden@Oct 10 2004, 06:22 PM

Now, my question to anyone who owns one or has owned one...is what kind of training did you put your dog through? I've heard alot of conflicting info about some weird sounding shit people have "insisted" we do to bring it up right...

I'm very much looking forward to having a dog again.

I have a Pitbull and used to have a Rottweiler and never took them to any sort of formal training and they both listen well with no major bad habits.

A major problem when I had the big ol' Rott was I was living in an environment where he was sort of getting trained by 3 different people (roomates), so he would be confused as what was the right response in certain situations. For example, this bitch would always feed him human food while I was trying to train him NOT to beg at the table. And with my Pit, I was the only one who trained him, so he behaves exactly how i want. Anyway, my point is, who will be doing the training? If both of you will, you have to keep what you two are teaching very consistent.

I'll add more as I think of it.

What is some of the weird shit people told you to do?

^haha

Pits are great. I've had a probably 5 in my lifetime. All trained with little to no problems. Like effyoo said though, you must be consistant with the training if it's more than one person raising him. Everything from treats for praise to behavior to diet must be consistant or you will confuse his instincts (contrary to what some might think, dogs do not have conscious thought). I don't got any dogs right now, and I got a house with a big ass yard. Time to get one.

i honestly believe noone actually likes these dogs, but only obtain them for some sort of dog ownership status. a dog isnt something to train and "look tough" with. thats just silly. if you were to buy a dog, buy a smarter one. or if you want a bad ass looking dog, tha will be totally awesome, go with a great dane, or a st bernard. how bad ass are those?

on second thought get a newfoundlander.

newfou.jpg

xanthekyra.jpg

note the huge image for the huuuuuuuuuuuge ass dog.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Newfoundlanders are fucking AWESOME. My friend had one called Othello (poor motherfucker, large, hairy and black, and had to endure the PR sun and heat) and it was beyond rad. So large I couldn't put my arms completely around it when I tried to hug him.

I don't like Pits at all. Boxers though, as in the one playing with that Diablo pit, are totally tits.

Originally posted by effyoo@Oct 10 2004, 08:42 PM

stuff like we're supposed to reach into its food or mouth while its eating and take some of the food out of either the bowl or mouth and then put it back to make the dog less territorial and so its ok with contact...things along those lines.

i mean, i can see why that MIGHT make some sense...but i'm wary of reaching into a hungry dogs mouth unless i'm REALLY supposed to.

Originally posted by Tyler Durden+Oct 11 2004, 05:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tyler Durden - Oct 11 2004, 05:40 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-effyoo@Oct 10 2004, 08:42 PM

stuff like we're supposed to reach into its food or mouth while its eating and take some of the food out of either the bowl or mouth and then put it back to make the dog less territorial and so its ok with contact...things along those lines.

i mean, i can see why that MIGHT make some sense...but i'm wary of reaching into a hungry dogs mouth unless i'm REALLY supposed to.

[/b]

yeah its not that strange...

but i see why you think thats strange at the same time;]

Originally posted by NikolaTesla/paperclips@Oct 10 2004, 10:48 PM

hahahhahaha, why the fuck is Paul107 making a book about pit bulls....rember when dlush posted that story about her pit and all that grody ass bs that it did......yeah.........no.

that was actually dee38. she had to give the dog away. :crying:

Originally posted by WEAK NIGGUH@Oct 11 2004, 04:21 AM

CLUE'S DOG LOOKS TUFF

IM NOT A DOG EXPERT BUT I THINK THEY GET MORE MUSCULAR IF YOU DONT NUETER THEM

MY FRIENDS SISTER HAS A RODESIAN RIDGE BACK, AND SHE NUETERED IT RIGHT AWAY. IT DOESNT HAVE ANY MUSCLE. IT LOOKS LIKE A SMALL FEMALE DEER AND ITS SCARED OF A FERRET.

Wow, you made a post longer than 4 words.

Where did you find the courage and motivation to accomplish such a daring feat?

Tyler....I've never heard that shit about takin food out of a dog's mouth to make it less territorial...I wouldn't suggest it.Food to dogs is like people with money.Just remember that when you're correcting your dog,use a really firm tone of voice...and if you have to hit it,use a rolled up newspaper or something-it's not the pain that they react to,it's the noise.Pitbulls are fucking tanks,beating them doesn't solve shit,you just wanna scare em.

on a side note,about that pitbulls as status symbols thing,it's so true...I live in the south,and it seems like EVERYBODY's fuckin got one.That's cool and all,but what I hate is the fucking pitbull elitists.My dog Sluggo is a mutt-pit/rottweiler/boxer and this fucking bitch called him a MONGREL the other day....I was pissed...Anyway,this is actually a topic I know something about so if you have any more questions fire away.