Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

pin point lines with a brush?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Giving Tree, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Giving Tree

Giving Tree Senior Member

anyone know how to get PINPOINT straight lines with a brush? this is especially pointed at joker or anyone who knows joker's method to laying down those sick lines on canvas..

and on a similar note.. i heard i cant really get that precise on canvas, i'd have to use masonite or something similar.. any truth to that?

i've tried masking tape, but it bleeds *(using rusto enamels)*

i love the gloss of the enamel so i dont wanna loose it, but i wanna keep the line exactly where i put the tape/stripe..

links are welcome too!!!

2. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

3. Kes_One_HTFD

Kes_One_HTFD Member

use a pinstriping brush, these brushes are sick if your doin curved or straight lines. my uncle is a pinstriper and hes done some designs on canvas using enamel with the pinstripe brush and their seriously pinpoint straight lines in some areas. plus, those brushes are meant to be used for pinpoint lines and also to be used with enamel paints.

4. Giving Tree

but i want like.. drafting paper computer type straight lines.. if you ever saw joker's work you'd know what im talking about.. its amazingly precise...

its gotta be mask or something. maybe some sort of clear over a solid color base coat.. then just add layers.. not sure.. but i could use the help!!!

5. Giving Tree

it's mostly the excess bleed and the fluxuation of the brush that troubles me.. not the brush in perticular.. but i'll try it.. anything is worth a shot..

any other ideas? where is seek or joker when you need them..

6. When

When 12oz Loyalist

try some fine line tape
    like you use when laying out designs on cars
    a pinstriping brush is also a good idea but it takes alot of practice

7. The Boss

The Boss Guest

i say get some paint pens, they are glossy, and then get a ruler...no bleeding and straight lines...:king:

8. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

implanting memories

pinstriping is badass.

i need to paint more with the brush.its been quite a while.

i remember my art teacher begging me not to go to graphic arts to cruz with the crew..he gave me A's for showing him picks at the last moment when all projects were due.the guy is cool, smokes dank and fucks the teacher next door to him.-also talked about being at bob marley concerts-

:flashbacks:

9. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

practice...

a really nice brush

and tons and tons of practice, will enable you to paint that straight..

of course, there will be a limit as to how long the line could be..

thre is some masking type tape, that is not very sticky, that you could use..

the imperative thing: you must let the paint dry completely before removing the 'straight edge' and only use a small amount of paint on the brush

10. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

i've been trying to get the same effect. i'm putting a wireframe on canvas. i tried screenprinting, but the photo emulsion just doesn't get it. the lines are too thin and too many. it kinda globs up and takes off more photoemulsion than i want it to when the rinsing process begins.
    i settled with the fact that i'm gonna have to use carbon paper and an india ink pen....it's frustrating....the damned design is too complicated to draw out on the canvas freehand.

11. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

another suggestion..

lay down a very fine, thin layer of fluid paint..no clumps, nice and smooth, on a straight edge, like a nice thin ruler for example...

then gently press the straight edge, like a stamp, onto the canvas surface..

voila..pencil thin straight line

12. Esai

Esai Member

If the brush isnt your problem than look at the canvas. I usually keep my pinky out against the canvas so it corresponds with my strokes. Kind of like training wheels for a straight line. I have trouble with blending in small spaces. Any tips? Do the blending strokes have to be really light, and with a certain brush?

13. Al Green

Al Green Veteran Member

id use some frisket.. not necessarily for straight lines but to block out areas while doing other areas.

ive used this technique in the past.. its effective for paper.

frisket is a similar consistency to rubber cement.

id also try not using canvas.

there are other fabrics you can stretch over stretchers. if you use masonite try using masking adheasive tape.. its not "masking tape" its actually i think made by duotac(t) or someone used by graphic designers.. old school like early nineties and 80's

i could recommend more i guess but id have to know what youre doing.. when it comes to enamels it just takes practice

and with brushes if they are round tipped roll the brush across a surface to control the type of tip. if you dont get what i mean ill make a little digital foto demo.

anyways.
    hope that helps.

bob.

14. Spike

Spike Senior Member

While we're on the topic, freehand straight lines with a pencil? I'm not talking short stuff, I'm talking about fluid straight lines across large paper. Mine always has a curve in it because you have to swing from something (elbow/wrist). No rulers.

15. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

Joker apparently does straight lines w/o a ruler. you'd have to ask him more about that.