PIECING in BOSTON

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest KING OF HELL

THE KING OF HELL appreciates your asking.

it depends on what style. TARGET is the man as far as class goes. his shit just has the right attitude. he never uses an outline, and paints faster than bruce lee can punch.

REACT is a much slept on writer with some of the illest shit under his belt.

Wombat painted good in his heyday.

ALERT is an all time favorite, and VAULT is untouchable. KURSE and ALONE both had amazing shit.

CHEAT and COAST too.

AVID and DRAK are both slept on. theres quite a few people who rock.

it just depends on your tastes.

Guest --zeSto--

question about boston...

If you can dye the river GREEN on St.Paddy's day,

why can't you dye it BLUE the rest of the year?

or do you like BROWN ?

(i like colour)

Originally posted by KING OF HELL

THE KING OF HELL appreciates your asking.

it depends on what style. TARGET is the man as far as class goes. his shit just has the right attitude. he never uses an outline, and paints faster than bruce lee can punch.

That's funny, and true. I've wondered for longer than I care to admit what it would be like if target actually bothered to do an outline (in pencil, not pen) and took his time on a wall.

Originally posted by BullFROG

there wasnt a popsicle guy it was ALERT he was an ill writer but yea it definetly depemds on your flavor and there are many mass writers that dont hit boston that much and some of them are crzy but not heard of much

excuse me? alert? no, kurse did popsicles....

KURSE DID....

Kurse did popsicles...anyone that is from Boston knows that!

Who did big eyeballs everywhere? who did question marks? who did pills?

KEM5? come on man...he's not even from Boston! does he even live here?

NET1 from Boston. Rocked shit. Bombed so fucking hard rocked fill-ins inside the Redline trains while it was running and telling people to move out of his way while he did them. 6'5 dude was large. didn't fuck around.

Boston is still fucked up with tags in the inner city...no no no not Newbury Street....no no no not Kenmore SQ.....no no no not on Huntington Ave..... there are a lot of places that are hit and needs to be hit harder in Boston.

Maybe if most of the fags that say they write go troup around places that you dont need to worry about the police...but you have to worry about dudes on the street.... Old School MASS was by far the illest bomber in Boston. At the time he was this little chubby white kid from J.P. that rocked tags from end to end of Boston and beyond.....on the illest streets in Boston. He stood out like a Candy Raver Fag in Dudly Sq. AND NO ONE FUCKED WITH HIM......The next perosn that bombed hard later on was Bandit. he got up about 6 other kids names plus his...he made it seem like him and his crew went out bombing.....but it was just him. This little nerding looking black kid.....wrecked streets soooo hard that Boston Gangs wanted to kill him from fucking there streets up.

Yeah years ago most of the writers in Boston were Black and hispanics....with ONLY a handful of white kids. If you wanted to be down you had to have BALLS!!! Stright up! now people have it way 2 easy in Boston......."hey man I want to be cool......I'm down dawg! I rock Graff"...."whatcha Write Man......." Dude....I rocked this canvas at this RAVE man......it was FREEEEEEESH DUN......"

Boston has a lot of ill writers that can burn....there are tons of toys here just like in any other city.......People talk a lot of shit behind peoples back.....all the time in Boston. But what makes it soooo much fun is that mostly all the shit talkers say nothing to anyone when they are face to face.

Thats Boston for you.

Peace

Guest twofish

>>>KEM5? come on man...he's not even from Boston! does he even live here? <<<<

Yea he's from boston, from the 781 area code... (is that the right one) something like that..

Originally posted by twofish

as far as piecing, i'd say Kem5 ...

That's magazine graffiti. Boston isn't about magazine graffiti. I mean, there are writers that haven't written in 10 years that have more ups than he does. In my book that makes him a nonentity. Then again if you have one tag running you have more ups than he does...

whatajerk:

i think the scenario you are describing is not limited to boston, but it's a nation wide phenomena. i've lived in a lot of cities, and in many cases the earlier dudes who killed it were a good mixture of races, and they lived in the inner city while the majority of the current writers are whitebred suburban transplants. thats just the way graf is now. and i know the exact people you are speaking of when you say "dude i painted graf on this canvas at a rave" and the hell with them. they suck.

in terms of who i like for boston painters, well he isnt really from boston but boston gave him a name i would emphatically choose mune, there is no sweat dripping from this just an obvious amount of respect that his skill and time and most of all most important emotion sends out in his pieces, he *as i have said in other posts* gave me a new outlook on graffiti not so far back but back enough 93-95 that i didnt get from where i grew up, a feeling an emotion that your graffiti could be natural and not just fame/ups oriented it is an art and that is where my number one boston piecer props go to the kid who let me know *without knowing well now he does so that was redundant that it is okay to feel in graffiti.

*mune look in you old old black books for a kid tied all up in rope that is the one that did it that is what has stuck in my mind for about 8 yrs.

this isnt to say that their isnt a history of great boston piecers because a bunch of names come to mind, alert, vault, ta *when he isnt busy punching teeth out*, these days the young kids are dealing the cards and getting good quick bare's no negs are amazing the shit out of me, nefew and epik are quickly making names not only as bombers but as really good overall painters.

this could go on and on because i could break down who i like in tags or throws but this is piecing. and mune wins it in my little book.

Boston never really stuck me as a piecing town. That doesn't mean that there aren't guys that can piece, there are, but it isn't super important there. What makes dudes like Alert, Vault, Ryze etc great are their hands, simples, and spots, far more than what they can come off with on some six hour day spot. I guess Boston's kinda like Philly in that regard. And one reason why a lot of guys, while from Boston (or it was the nearest city to where they grew up) don't really fit the mold there.

Guest twofish

>>>>while the majority of the current writers are whitebred suburban transplants. thats just the way graf is now. and i know the exact people you are speaking of when you say "dude i painted graf on this canvas at a rave" [/b] <<<<<

who gives a shit what race you are.. You're talking about ravers one second and whites, hispanics, and blacks the next. Ravers aren't a race and they aren't all white. Not even half of them are white..of course they suck like Set One (Boston "writer", he showed me his sketchbook with all ewok pieces bit and said it was his name..) but anyways, fuck candy kids that paint and suck, but leave the race issue alone.

Set 1.....

Set One Bit Ewok? what are you talking about.....Set doesn't even paint anymore. hasn't painted for years. So unless your talking about another person that writes Set your wrong.

If yo uare talking about the same Set...I would LOVE to see you go up to him and tell him he bites.

Originally posted by twofish

...of course they suck like Set One (Boston "writer", he showed me his sketchbook with all ewok pieces bit and said it was his name..) but anyways, fuck candy kids that paint and suck, but leave the race issue alone.

?? SET? You met some fake SET. Like whatajerk said, SET OD hasn't painted in years. He isn't even in boston all that much anymore.

But it would be really funny to see someone talk that kind of smack to him.

Guest twofish

When i referred to Set One, i was talking about this raver kid that weighs about 120 pounds because he's so fucked up from his drugs. The set i was referring to showed me copied sketches of ewok pieces and in no way would anyone be afraid to tell him he's a biter. So i know we're talking about different Sets..

ok...

The kid your talking about is not SET1. If thats what he said to you then he must not be from Boston...or is way 2 fucked up on drugs to realize that someone else has been writing that name for years in Boston.

Trust me.....if you ran into the Real Set from Boston you would not walk away from him saying that he bites......nor would you say that smack to his face....you would get crushed......

MISSION HILL, Boston,Ma.

Graffiti vandal, victims meet

By Ric Kahn, Globe Staff, 10/7/2001

asmin Ruiz, a 20-year-old student at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, wore a brown top over a maroon T-shirt, sneakers, and a backpack.

That night at Mission Church, he also wore a scarlet V - figuratively speaking. V for vandal. Graffiti vandal.

Ruiz anxiously arose before members of the Mission Hill crime committee and others packed into the church basement on the last Thursday of September, and satisfied an unusual piece of his court sentence. In July, after admitting spray-painting a building with his street name, ''prime,'' Ruiz was ordered by a Roxbury District Court judge to help remove his tag from the streets; tutor middle-school students in French, his native tongue; write the neighborhood an apology letter; and atone in front of his victims.

''I'm here to apologize for tagging the Roxbury Crossing Condominium building,'' Ruiz solemnly began, flanked by his lawyer, as required by the court. ''I'd just like to say that I didn't do it to deface the property or to cause anybody harm.''

People had urgently slid into folding chairs that evening - about 50 of them, including police officers, a woman with a cane, and a man with breathing tubes in his nose - to view Ruiz.

''I'd just like to say that I'm in art school, and I wouldn't want to call graffiti art, because I'm sure a lot of people disagree with that,'' Ruiz continued. He had scratched his thoughts on paper five minutes before he arrived, but he spoke without them, for one minute. ''I like to draw, I like to paint. That's why I went to art school. It was in that ... idea that I did the graffiti.''

Assistant Suffolk district attorney Yaw Gyebi Jr. had made the Paris native's appearance a condition of his plea agreement after residents said they'd wanted Ruiz to see that he and other graffiti vandals, including his codefendant roommate, Matthew Goldstein, had not only left marks on neighborhood buildings, they'd also left lines - of concern - on people's faces.

''Putting graffiti on somebody else's property risks their lives,'' Bill Browning, 78, told Ruiz during a 45-minute question-and-answer session. ''I always try and go out and cover the graffiti within hours after I discover it. Sometimes that means I go out on ice. My bones are fragile.''

A cross-current of emotions swirled throughout the room. Some believed Ruiz's exhibition of remorse would stop other vandals. Others were dubious. One woman thought the scene was overkill, and emphasized it was not a murder case. Others thought it cheesy, and felt Ruiz should be cleaning toilets. Some questioned his character. Others looked into his eyes, and said they saw something true.

''I will absolutely not do it again,'' Ruiz concluded.

''God bless you,'' Margarida Freitas Stanton, 70, later said from the audience. As she made peace with Ruiz, his stoic lips finally curled into a smile.

This story ran on page 3 of the Boston Globe's City Weekly section on 10/7/2001.

© Copyright 2001 Globe Newspaper Company.

Archived