PHP

slave_one

i want to use it to enhance my website, except i don't know how.

i only know some html and a little bit of css.

any ideas, suggestions on how to go about using PHP would be helpful.

please recommend books as well if you know of any.

there are so many books out there. i don't know where to begin.

i looked to php.net to see if i can pick up a few things,

but i got overwhelmed as usual.

thank you in advance.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

before you get really in depth with php...play around with javascript and flash actionscript...the syntax is basically the same...

just understand the basics of variables and basic programming concepts...

once you like..figure out how the things you're trying to build work mechanically, figuring out how to program it isn't as hard..but if you're just like...sitting there trying to learn code..it's gonna be a pain in the ass and really confusing...

Hi Slave,

Here's some things I can think of off the bat.

1) Move to a PHP image gallery that allows ratings or comments. Always nice when you can give e-props to somebody for their work. There are a few free scripts that do this if you're not feeling like writing one, but it shouldn't be that complicated either way.

2) In terms of layout, general flow usually dictates a top or left menu bar. The news frame you have on the left right now eats up a bit of screen space, as does the scroll bar that it necessitates. Consider making the news page your default front page and switching around the menu. Possibly make it semi-graphical.

3) An ability to add short, one line comments and view them seperately on the news is always kind of neat.

4) I'd personally suggest a table based design, but if you're going to keep frames do whatever you can to get rid of the ugly scrollbar.

what up thanks war pigs and gnome toys...

i have to admit, i was looking for the easy way (as usual) but i will take your advice and try to

play around with javascript and such...

i have given the PHP image gallery some thought; maybe i will integrate that with my site.

although i'm pretty sure i'll get hate comments and i don't think i'm prepared for that...yet.

i like the idea of being able to leave short, one line comments. is that javascript?

i look at my site from a PC from time to time...i don't think the scroll bar is that ugly.

the problem with me is i just get distracted way too easily.

i really want to learn this stuff, but knowing me i'm going to lose interest...