photoshop people please help a fella out

yoink

didnt know where to put this but this is a last minute SOS....kinda like Dee's inquiry yesterday I gotta project due, just some characters i drew up and need colored in the comp, but everytime i color them they look like shit, now ive seen some nifty coloring in this here website so if anyone has experience with this what are some tips....tools you use?? etc etc....(i have photoshop and illustrator..im talking bout photoshop of course...)

thanks in advance...help a brotha out:cool:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by yoink

wtf?? yeah i know those kids know whats up thats why im hoping theyll open this....

did i mention its due in like six hours...just to make it more interesting...;)

either start praying, or bunk the lesson

.. make layers and do each value in sections... then go thru and blend or use whatever filter to help. ive never done realistic ones personally.. is it possibly because of the drawing quailty etc..?

i mean like.. say the outline and all.. has little pen strokes you dont wa nt or whatever.. and little fragments of ink that arent seen on the drawing , but show up in the scan , what you should do is erase all those , possibly fuck with the contrast of the pic so it helps the black and white lines contrast to help the wand.. see what im saying.. if all else fails. shit send me the psp and i can try and see what methods best for you to use

Guest FlamingHobo

okay ill try to post the one im trying to start theres no pen work i just outlined what i had in pencil, figuring id do the details in color...ill try to host it and post it

id do it for you but...things like this make you stronger

ha thanks...yeah i really dont want anyone else to do it i just want some pointers on how to make the coloring come out...hmmm....good...

fuck im having trouble uploading it ill keep trying...thanks for the advice people keep it coming!!!!!!!!!!

Guest duh-rye-won

this is how i do...

have your clean character outline on one layer.

select an area to fill with the magic wand.

select/modify/expand a couple pixels

fill in a layer behind your outline

do some shading or whatever you need to do in a layer between your outline and your flat color fill.

hope that helps,

poice

aright thats what ive been doing right now i have the char. filled in but i did it on the original layer...would it be better to have filled on another layer like you said? well im goin to try to do the shading right now ill keep checking here

thanks..

aright heres the thing..while i was waiting for some replies i went ahead and filled out damn near everything on one layer....i dont have the time to go back and do it all over again can i just make some duplicate layers of the one im allready working on and do shadows etc on those and then blend them???

question

i have this prob now...

i have my first layer..which is the char filled.

then i have a shadow layer

clothing shadow layer

hair layer

and facial feature shadowing layer.......

now when i try to look at them all combined one or two dissapears....do i have to combine them or blend them to get that effect?

im having trouble with that...ive tried erasing some areas but no deal...basically i have at the bottom of my list layer one...then above it clothing shadows, skin shadows etc...but the only one that shows no matter what is the one at the top of those five layers or so...?...kinda confusing..

im having trouble with that...ive tried erasing some areas but no deal...basically i have at the bottom of my list layer one...then above it clothing shadows, skin shadows etc...but the only one that shows no matter what is the one at the top of those five layers or so...?...kinda confusing..

something on one of those top layers has to be covering up the bottom layers. Check each layer one by one starting with the top. I usually work with all the layers on, you might stick to that plan as well. another thing...make sure all your layers are turned on and visible.

its been a long time since I pulled all nighters, but I definitely remember them well. good luck man.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I'm with SteveAustin... Use an assload of layers if you wanna keep quality control and the ability to isolate things.

However, if you wanna do it quicker, just set take your outline layer (if the outline is set as the background layer, duplicate it and fill the background with a color of your choice) and set its transfer mode (little tab on the layer palette that should say "normal" right now) to Multiply. This makes your black outline opaque while the rest (depending on how white the rest of the area is) becomes transparent.

Now you can make a new layer underneath the outline layer, and paint away, using your outline as a guide to know where to paint a certain color and not go over the edges. Beer,

El Mamerro

Thanks a ton for the help guys i had to go with the quicker quick version i gotta turn this in in forty minutes time flew like whoah....hopefully this ragtag job wont be the end of this class!!! il let you know...thanks again though def appreciate it.

Archived