Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

PHOTONERDS! DARKROOM HELP!

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega, Mar 14, 2004.

1. MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega Veteran Member

So I "aquired" some items and have successfully put together a darkroom. I have no knowledge of developing film or making prints and after reading through some books at Barnes and Nobles I have an understanding of how to do this but naturally with teaching yourself anything you run into problems.

So I am trying to develope a roll of Tri-X 400. I'm using Kodak D-76 Developer and "Nu-Fix" Fixer. (Tri-x box says developing time is 6 minutes with D-76)

Here is what I am doing:
    -Put film on reel, reel in tank.
    -Pour in proper amount of developer, agitate gently for 6 minutes.
    -dump developer
    -pour in proper amount of Fixer.
    -As I read in this book, Agitate for 30 seconds, let it sit 30 seconds and do this for 4 minutes
    -dump fixer
    -pour in water as stop bath, shake it like a baby for 45 seconds
    -rinse film
    -remove excess wetness
    -hang to dry

So I tried developing three rolls of film tonight and collectively about 4.5 frames developed the rest did nothing.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

2. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

so, you're sure you're winding them on the reels correctly and no parts are touching? the chemicals are up to date? Are you working in total darkness? have you tried going a little longer with the developer? And doesn't the process go: develop, stop, fix?

3. cmeup

cmeup Veteran Member

why would you want to develope your own film anyways? id think that would suck... especially if you fucked up a roll with pictures you couldnt get flicks of again...

4. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

negatives

5. MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

Like I said, I'm a complete amature so it could very well go; develope, stop, fix.

I tried developing for 9 minutes instead of 6 and I got more actually developed.

6. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

I'm pretty sure... develop, stop, fix.

try a roll in that order for about 7.5 minutes, see how it turns out... if it's better but still not right try adjusting the develop time up or down...

7. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

my guess is that when ur reeling in ur film, the film touches eachother (which it isn't supposed to) and you should make sure when u reel it in, its going in evenly.... or maybe some light may be exposed to it... i dunno..but when i developed film, i was in a room pitch ass black... to the point where i put my hand in front of my face, and couldn't tell the difference..... sooooooo... i dunno

8. Jackson

Jackson Veteran Member

You need to wash it for longer than 45 seconds, leave the tap running onto the negs for like 10-15 minutes.
    -And tease, develpoing your own film is a great thing to do, you should try it, its fun and it teaches you a lot about photography.
    Pantalones- how are you gonna make prints? have you got an enlarger?

9. sneak

sneak Guest

*shake it like a polaroid picture...heyyyy yaaaaa*

10. DEE38

DEE38 12oz Loyalist

there could be a slight possibility that those remaining pictures were maybe nothing... like.. hmm, it make have been taken wrong or something? and the first few were taken ok.

im thinking also light exposure... it would be a good idea to get a red light..

like everyone else said its a big chance the developing process went wrong somehow with chemicals, etc.

by the way......... how much did your startup cost? i took photography in school and absolutely loved it. i'm really interested in setting up a dark room too, i got a pinhole and a woca camera and stole a shitload (i mean borrowed) of film from school......my teacher said it wouldent be more than 60 dollars to start (chemicals, etc) my inspiration: my son. he's like a runway model.. i mean if he could walk. i take the most absolute stunning pictures of the lil guy.

well i know i wasent much help but good luck

11. MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

My tech art teacher and I were talking about photography one day and I asked him about developing and he busted out an enlarger and looked at it for a minute and was like, "Now, this enlarger was a gift to the art department and it isn't on any inventory lists, so if I let you borrow it and you don't return it to me by the end of the year that is totally fine, do you understand?"

So my teacher gave me the following for free:
    Englarger
    Trays
    Safe lights

I went to ye-old-camera store and bought the following:
    Photopaper - $15 for 25 8X10
    Kodak D-76 Developer - $5
    76 Paper Developer - $5
    Film tank - $5(used, it's worth spending the the extra $10 on a good stainless steal one.)
    Two 35mm Reel - $6
    Nu-Fix Foxer - $3
    Two -gallon chemical jars $8
    Tongs - $5

If you're just developing film it's pretty cheap(tank, developer, fixer.)

if you're looking for an enlarger check out auctions and thirft stores. I bought one over the summer at a thrift store for $20 but upon futher inspection I realized the lense was cracked. I've seen enlargers as cheap as $150 at some camera stores.

12. DEE38

DEE38 12oz Loyalist

jesus how lucky! dope teachers rock.

enlargers are $$ so i'm just interested in developing film.. b&w film.. um im not sure the actual name of the type of film i have but it says: 120 - ISO // 125.

those longer films (not 35mm) but longer that looks like a long spool of thread thing.:eek:

13. suburbian bum

suburbian bum 12oz Loyalist

Did you really just ask this?

Okay I will lay it out for you. Having someone else develop your pictures is equal to telling someone else what to draw for you. You have total creative capabilities over them. And when you develop yourself, you can always make your pics look way better than running them through the machine at wal mart. Plus, you can make as many prints of 1 pic as you want, as big as you want with a shitload of changes...
    Your stupid questions sometimes actually make me angry.

14. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

make sure to leave the lights on. always. darkroom is just a figure of speach. i have a darkroom at home, well my girl does, and its here with us, but shes hooks it up. you should look online, theres some site that has directions for every type of film.

15. LaCosaNostra

LaCosaNostra Senior Member

eh.....i didnt read all this, but i expecially hate develping the negatives, enlargint is the fun part:crazy: