Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Photography experiments

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by qsysue, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Schnitzel

Schnitzel Dirty Dozen Crew

holy shit this is cool to see

know so little about photography it's quite an eye opener.

2. wafflecakee

wafflecakee Senior Member

[​IMG]

neopan 400 pushed to 1600, 45 degree, 45 second development with constant agitation.

3. I Can Nollieflip

I Can Nollieflip New Jack

Here is one of the caffenol negatives I posted after scanning..
    Some minor fog and a bit over exposed. Shouldn't have been shooting directly into the sun.

Noticed that with the caffenol it is EXTREMELY delicate to developing time. I changed my time from 8min @ 70 degrees to 7min and it made a nice difference in how dense the negatives were.

[​IMG][/url] WestendSmokeStack1 copy by Negative_Coffee, on Flickr[/IMG]

4. Deine Mudder

Deine Mudder Senior Member

Interesting stuff, please keep posting!

5. qsysue

qsysue Member

I haven't had much time lately for film experiments, but I'm moving to southern Utah soon, and I figure I'll be so bored I'll start doing some again. I'm planning to try some dry plate photography, and I'll probably do it in my Holga or my pinhole. Anyone tried it? Should be fun.

6. 1600ASA

1600ASA New Jack

7. I Can Nollieflip

I have seen some recipes for the Wineol and even using Coca-cola.

If ether of them work as well as the caffenol then it's worth trying! I love the caffenol.

8. qsysue

qsysue Member

Here's another experiment I forgot to post about. Just simple "Holgarama" shots, where you don't quite wind the film far enough, so the frames overlap. I took these shots standing in the same spot and just rotating my angle of view about 45 degrees for each frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In that last frame, a piece of yarn I keep attached to my lens got in the shot (it was windy). Which reminds me of another fun Holga experiment...

9. qsysue

qsysue Member

Holga macros!

I don't have a picture of it, but you can get what's called a step-up ring that'll screw into your Holga lens. A step-up ring is an adapter than lets you attach filters that aren't the correct size for your lens. So with the right step up ring and some macro filters, you can take Holga macros. I'm using a 46mm-52mm step up ring, which allows me to put 52mm lens attachments on it.

I have a set of macro filters (don't remember where I picked them up) and I shot a test roll with different combinations of them on the camera to figure out what the focal distance would be, and which combination I liked best. Here's an example of one of the test shots:

[​IMG]

Those pieces of paper are attached to a ruler, so the focal distance is about 6 inches. I also included a note in the shot of which macro combo I was using so I'd know. (No. 2 & No. 4.)

I tied a piece of yarn around my lens that is 6 inches long. So when I use the macro filters, I stretch the yarn out and know what will be in focus. Here are a couple macro shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. I Can Nollieflip

Hell yeah qsysue!
    those macro shots are awesome. the yarn idea is great too.
    going to have to try the panorama experiment. looks so rad!

11. qsysue

qsysue Member

Yeah you should! The Holga is great for experimenting. I should add none of these ideas were original, my brother showed me the yarn trick.

I think after I move I'm gonna try dry plate photography in the Holga. Should be interesting. I'll either make my own emulsion or buy some, not sure yet.

12. Deine Mudder

Deine Mudder Senior Member

Just throwing this in here: Cyanotype

[​IMG]

In short: you can have big fun with that technique using large b/w negs, stencils, et cetera.

13. qsysue

qsysue Member

I've moved to Utah and I'm pretty housebound by the heat. So I got bored and decided to try making my own macro lens just for fun. I used this web page as a guide:

http://www.diyphotography.net/build-your-own-lenses

Here are the parts I used:

[​IMG]

Right to left, basically:

I took a 2X tele converter, a Canon body cap that someone gave me to use as a pinhole (but the hole is pretty big, probably more than 1/8th inch wide), two close up macro filters that I put together so they'd be shaped like this (), a polarizer filter was in there too but I don't remember why, haha. Most of it was held together with masking tape (the kind that's not super sticky, like for painting use):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tricky part was getting the subject in focus. I had to move the camera to get it in focus, because I didn't have any way to move the lens closer or further from the camera body. And the viewfinder was kinda dark thanks to the small aperture. But I wanted to not have the glow you see in the examples from the how-to link.

14. NightmareOnElmStreet

NightmareOnElmStreet Veteran Member

SWEET JEEBUS! this thread is ill. just when you think the oontz is falling......

15. Schnitzel

Schnitzel Dirty Dozen Crew

I agree totally^^
    this is really interesting stuff.