Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Photography experiments

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by qsysue, Jul 29, 2011.

1. qsysue

qsysue Member

I experiment with film a lot. I get bored if I'm not able to get out shooting and end up doing something crazy just to entertain myself.

Usually it involved my Holga, because it's so easy to experiment with. Here's an experiment I did with making my own mask.

[​IMG]

I made the mask out of cardboard and put it in the camera. I ran a roll of film through it, then rewound the film onto the original spool. Then I flipped the mask over (in this picture, it's already been flipped), and ran the same roll of film through it.

Results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tricky part is trying to remember what part of the frame will be exposed.

2. qsysue

qsysue Member

Another mask experiment in my Holga. (Neither of these ideas were new--I tried it after seeing someone else do it.)

[​IMG]

This one is harder to explain--I didn't rewind the film and shoot it twice. I took one shot, wound the film five clicks, then took another shot. The width of the vertical slits are approximately how far the film moves in five clicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jbrshmonster

jbrshmonster Elite Member

4. jbrshmonster

[​IMG]
    regular old double exposure

[​IMG]
    mask on the lens, one side exposure, flip it around next exposure

same thing polaroid 669
    [​IMG]

Fist 666 likes this.
  5. qsysue

qsysue Member

Cool! I haven't tried a mask on the lens. Love how that looks with the soft overlap.

6. jbrshmonster

law and order thru the back of a fisheye attachment
    [​IMG]

7. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

interesting!

wow. i feel lame!

haha inspiring stuff kids.

8. qsysue

qsysue Member

That L&O pic is hilarious.

Another Holga experiment.

[​IMG]

I took two rolls of 35mm film and taped them side-by-side onto a used spool of 120 backing paper and ran it through my Holga.

This picture shows the film taped to the backing paper but once I got it in my darkroom bag and tried rolling it onto the spool I realized I couldn't have the film edges sticking off the paper or it wouldn't fit on the spool. So I had to move them so the film strips overlapped in the center of the backing paper.

Results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've done the same thing in an old box camera that uses film 70mm wide. Much easier to get the film onto the spool, doesn't overlap at all.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately my scanner chokes on color film when the sprocket holes are included in the scan. That last pic is also redscale film.

Here's what the camera looks like:

[​IMG]

9. jbrshmonster

awesome!

i actually got a free diana im gonna have to fuck around with now, haha

10. Fist 666

Fist 666 Moderator Crew

i like that somebody named their black cat satan, and had a proper tombstone made for it.
    RIP SATAN.

(dope thread)

11. qsysue

qsysue Member

The pet cemetery I shot that at is in Huntington Beach and it's the sweetest place. I used to drive by it and see all the graves decorated and be bummed that people care so much more for pet graves than they do for human ones--but the first time I went and walked around there it was just the sweetest place. The graves all have little dogs and cats on them and you can just feel the unconditional love animals have for their owners.

But yeah, Black Kitty Satan is the coolest.

Sort of off topic, but not really--I once walked around one corner of the cemetery and shot all the Princess graves I saw with a half frame camera:

[​IMG]

View larger here.

12. cancermouth

cancermouth New Jack

[​IMG]

Sandwiched negatives, original 6x6 neg sandwiched in an enlarger with a blank polaroid 55 that has been scratched to hell.

I went through a phase of sandwiching up to 5 negs together to make completely new images. Its a lot of fun. I miss having access to color darkroom as well as black and white. When I have unlimited darkroom access I tend to spend most of my time doing printing experiments.

Also, those holga mods are really cool. Definitely some of the more interesting mods I've seen to date!

Keep experimenting!

13. qsysue

qsysue Member

That's really cool. I might have to try that sometime, if I ever get around to setting up my darkroom.

Here's another mask experiment in my Holga.

[​IMG]

I took double exposures, first exposure had this mask, second exposure was without the mask. I shot the entire roll with the mask in it first, then rewound it and shot again without the mask. For the first exposures, I tried to take pictures of things that would provide interesting textures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Mercer

Mercer Moderator Crew

Fucking rad thread.

15. cancermouth

cancermouth New Jack

That circle holga mask is such a clever idea. Those came out really well and I hope to see more like that in the future.