Philosophy

Kettiecat

I'm working on this problem for my philosophy class and I keep hitting a wall. The question is When does a person, or group of people, ever have the authority or right to step in and tell another person what to do? Like why does the government have the right to set up laws governing my behavior? Or if you steal something from me, what gives me the right to punch you in the face for it?

What I've concluded is that we never have the right to do these things. Even in cases where a person is infringing on someone elses freedoms who am I to step in?

Heres another thought. I don't have the right to steal things from a person, but do they have the right to own things that I would steal?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People think they have the right to do such things because there are so called rights. In reality no one should have the power to deal out punishment the problem with that though is that the world would self destruct and there would not be peace as we know it. If you look at countries were a person has total control over everything then you see they do make alot of bad decisions hence the reason for Democracy.

I will think a bit more about it if you cant understand what I just said then in 10 minutes I will write a bit better explanation of it.

I was going to write something that would help you......and then I re-read some*of* your post and realized that it would take me a page to break it down in my words.......think about someone is is mentally ill--so ill that they can't think for themselves or have no......fuck it...good luck.

Originally posted by Kettiecat

When does a person, or group of people, ever have the authority or right to step in and tell another person what to do?

Like why does the government have the right to set up laws governing my behavior?

Or if you steal something from me, what gives me the right to punch you in the face for it?

I don't have the right to steal things from a person, but do they have the right to own things that I would steal?

first off im HIGH but.......no one gives you the right to do anything you detirmine that for yourself....regardless if the majority of the rest of the population does not agree with you....people find an opinion and defend it....

But when you have a democracy all you really have is majority rule, and just because an idea is in the majority doesn't make it right. So I guess you have to break it down further, do humans have any rights at all? If we do, what are these rights? Also if someone can argue or doubt one of the "rights" you listed it can't be concidered a universal right, so are there any universal rights that all humans have?

Guest imported_El Mamerro

When does a person, or group of people, ever have the authority or right to step in and tell another person what to do?

When the person or group of people in question is/are a raving moron(s).

Like why does the government have the right to set up laws governing my behavior?

Because through democracy, you give them the right to do so.

Or if you steal something from me, what gives me the right to punch you in the face for it?

Nothing and no one gives you that right. Which is why it feels so good to do.

I don't have the right to steal things from a person, but do they have the right to own things that I would steal?

Yes. They paid for it. It's not yours.

You have a right to do anything you want. You also have the right to understand that there's consequences to everything, and you have the right to weigh these consequences against each other before you act or make a decision. Ta daa. Beer,

El Mamerro

It STARTS when the action of the 'one' impacts a large number of the 'them', or, impacts one of 'them' in a huge way. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (thanks Spock)...

What I've concluded is that we never have the right to do these things. Even in cases where a person is infringing on someone elses freedoms who am I to step in?

Sounds lazy

Heres another thought. I don't have the right to steal things from a person, but do they have the right to own things that I would steal?

How can they know what you would steal? Why should they consider their every accuisition based on some random qualifier about wether you might or might not steal it? Doesn't that, conversely, mean that you are somehow dictating their actions? How does that stack up against your whole "we never have the right to tell people what to do" argument? Is it somehow better because you influence their exercise of free will without actually 'telling' them anything?

Guest old_woman

my thoughts and knowledge on this ever contoversial therefore irelevant issue:

:ahem:

During the "creation" of the US government many ideologial factors served to influence a construction of a government that would resist the possible future instabilities that were noted from historical consequences. Of all the influences, the US chose to establish a libertarian democracy. We all have a basic idea of democracy, but libertarian is the key term to answer your question on government involvement in our lives. Libertarian is a term coined by Thomas Locke in his essay entitled "social contract". This contract he spoke of is the contract between government and the people under his government, or the ciitizens. In general, the social contract advocated that a government should nevr intrfere with the anything but the well-being of the people. The governments only purpose is to protect the people. There is no other purpose. Instead of taking matters into our own hands in issues of stealing, the government is incharge of ensuring our security, we just sign the contract and leave our personal and collective security up to the government. True, the US government seems to be playing a large role in the economy, but this is a whole different issue in itself. Remember the key word, libertarian democracy, which is the US government. A good example is the establishment of a Homeland Security Committee, which was created as soon as many large corporations were on the verge of a drastic financial crisis because of 911. But this wasnt created after Oklahoma City, why is that? maybe because Oklahoma did not scare investors and consumers as much as 911 did.

now post a pic of your pussy again, this time with a dildo in it.

to smart.

the question was really do we as humans have the right to say "this is mine" even if we "paid" for it. No other creature on the planet "owns" things why do humans? I'm not thinking practicle here, its a philosophical question. I understand why we own things and that we need to own things but where do we get this right from? To say that an object belongs to me.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

No other creature on the planet "owns" things why do humans? I'm not thinking practicle here, its a philosophical question.

Yes they do... all sorts of animals own territory. First who gets there and claims it, gets it. Anyone willing to challenge the owner can go right ahead and do so. Whoever wins gets the territory.

In the case of humans, our becoming civilized has gotten rid of savagery from this scenario and brought in bureaucracy instead.

Guest old_woman

everyone is right on one thing. this is a democracy. But what that really means is those who vote are those who are listened to. Who b tends to vote in the uS? less than half the country votes Usually white old men are the most people who vote, therefore their interests are listened to. Not because one is th majority and one is in the minority is the minority completely fucked either. The mexicans hardly vote, the blacks hardly vote, the youth hardly vote, bu they do complain. Who's fault is it? the economy is good so why vote? Well thats true, there is no reason to vote if you believe that those campaigning are practically the same in interests.maybe true, maybe not. Its an analytical topic with no clear yes or no answer.

I am not a hypocrite because I voted, I'm young and I am not "white", but i voted.

what's so wrong with a "practicle philosophy"?

plus, seems like you kinda answered Mammero more than me...

I mean, I absolutely acknowledge the idea of ownership, no matter how temporary. Try taking something away from a baby... that's not learned behavior, also, notice the complete ambivalence displayed if you pick up a baby's favorite object when the baby is engaged with something else...

"The sole end for which mankind are warrented, individually or collectively, in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self protection. The only purpose for which powercan be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community against his will is to prevent harm to others." John Stuart Mill

to smart.

the question was really do we as humans have the right to say "this is mine" even if we "paid" for it. I understand why we own things and that we need to own things but where do we get this right from? To say that an object belongs to me.

Property is not owned unless you have a receipt for it. Police could take anything away from you without documents of proof of owner ship.

If you want to have an argument look up the Aboriginals of Australia. There old system was working fine for them until Europeans colonized Australia. There wasn`t a sense of ownership everything belonged to the land, punishment was dealt out by the wisest people [the older ones]. If you harmed no other fellow member of your tribe then there were no problems but harming another would result in spearing to death or a curse [Aboriginal people were very carefull of this as being cursed could cause an older Aboriginal to mentally die without poisoning or any sort of injury].

History dictates fuck ups and good things [a weird way to put it but it is true]. History in schools tried to teach people how to better live and learn from mistakes.

Guest old_woman

what the hell is the topic aproperty ownership?

or government involvement?

democratic systems?

you cockmasters are confusing yet amusing, except for Stupid up there labeling himself Smart.

Originally posted by GUNDAM

Property is not owned unless you have a receipt for it. Police could take anything away from you without documents of proof of owner ship.

If you want to have an argument look up the Aboriginals of Australia. There old system was working fine for them until Europeans colonized Australia. There wasn`t a sense of ownership everything belonged to the land, punishment was dealt out by the wisest people [the older ones]. If you harmed no other fellow member of your tribe then there were no problems but harming another would result in spearing to death or a curse [Aboriginal people were very carefull of this as being cursed could cause an older Aboriginal to mentally die without poisoning or any sort of injury].

History dictates fuck ups and good things [a weird way to put it but it is true]. History in schools tried to teach people how to better live and learn from mistakes.

i'm sure if one tribe fucked with another, there'd be beef. That's how it was here in Canada.

Originally posted by old_woman

what the hell is the topic aproperty ownership?

or government involvement?

democratic systems?

you cockmasters are confusing yet amusing, except for Stupid up there labeling himself Smart.

The topic is

when, if ever, does one human have the right to impose rules and regulations on another human.

Archived