Philippines...anyone? (travelers here)

Guest SPFlatty

Guest SPFlatty

aight, so i'm plannin my next over-seas adventure and i was thinkin about the philippines. i hear it's a little more expensive than the rest of south east asia, but c'mon, how bad could it be?

this place is 7,000 + islands...beaches, amazingly beautiful women, and asia, what more could one ask for?

okay, who's been and who has any advice. i checked lonely planet and they had some good info, but i want real experiences...and if this palce sucks, let me know and i'll go right back to thailand again...but, from the few people i do know who are from there, they say it's great, but most of them haven't been there in years. so, what's the dealy on the philippinesy...?

thanks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah, i knew a girl who was phillipino, as in her parent were from there but she was born here. she just recently went for three weeks and wasnt allowed by her parents to speak ANY english at all.

dosnt seem like the safest place to travel, but there is definetly worse.

i hear its the most beautiful place on earth, aside from being anywhere with me. no seriously i hear its great, and im guessing ill be taking my philipine queen there within a few years so why dont you tell me how it is.

go to cebu.

Guest SPFlatty

yeah, i heard the south is a scary place, but i've heard up north where it's more suited for travlelrs, it is amazing. my girfriend is philippino, but i want to surprise her with the fact i want to go (or i'd just ask her). she's actualy there right now (her grandpa died), so i got me thinking about it...aight, thanks all.

Guest SPFlatty

Philippines...(two p's in the middle), but what is with the F?

if anything, i would visit Bali or other parts of Indonesia, or Malaysia. Those places look amazing. Japan is a wonderful place i fell in love with, My brother keeps sending me pictures of him in Seoul, and that place looks happening. [/b]

i've been to malaysia and indonesia. indonesia was scary, we stayed in a christian village on lake toba on samosir island. it was pretty boring. the resort we stayed at was haunted, it was frickin nuts.

malaysia tho...damn, awesome. we stayed on penang island, which was touristed out, and then went to pangkor island which has some of the dopest diving in my opinion. then we saw kuala lumpar, which was like ny...benz and beamers all over the place. i do want to go back, but not to indonesia...screw that place!

i'm not too concerned with sanitation, whatever, it's life. i just want to chill on the beach in an unfamiliar place...maybe i'll go to south america instead.

Sorry about your girlfriends loss. My brother told me about Indonesia, thats why it sounded good to me. And since you've already seen Malaysia, the Philipines sounds like the next good place to see. Or maybe Thailand, but your girl already being in the PI sound like a good enough reason to go. you should do it. if i were in your shoes i would.

Yeah, they do kidnapp americans there for ransom money. Especially outside of malls like SM and Ayala.

CITIES, well Manila always came off as real urban dirty bla bla uck. NO offense to anyone on here that might be from there.

My mom was from Cebu and I love that city!

It is poor and pretty dirty like most cities but not that much. Mangos and pineapple are sold on the street. Things are cheap. ..Ride Jeepneys!!

They are these crazy bus jeep things ....that are like 25 cents and you just hop on and off on the back.

Each one is painted different with crazy shit on them...streamers attatched to the lights and nutty little statues attatched to the hoods.

For islands, well there are over 17,000 of them..

The bisayan islands, south of Cebu are really nice. My cousins and I rented a couple little bungalows on this tiny island with a sand bar and colorful reefs for pretty cheap off the Bisayan coasts. there are tons of little islands like that, with maybe 10 bungalows on the island and then a 'meeting lodge' with a restaurant a little bar and a place to hang out.

Every one speaks english and people are generally good but watch out because alot of people will be out to rob you. Dont look dumb and rich.

Eat Halo Halo and Adobo Chicken.

http://www.ccwa.or.jp/hiroba/img/jeepny.jpg'>

http://www.traveladventures.org/continents/asia/images/jeepney2.jpg'>

public transport at its finest

Oh and dont drink the water untill you are used to it. The mosqitos will eat you alive for the first 5 days or so too.

I cant wait to bring you TT :cool: :cool: :cool:

Guest SPFlatty

thanks for the concern dripofawish, it's much appreciated. i've been to thailand as well, be careful there! you'll never want to leave! my girl will be back soon, she's got school here, so she can't stay away for long.

and damn...a few people have mentioned cebu...i gotta go...end of the year i'm either going here, or with some girls i know to brazil...anyone who wants to go, new years 2004...buy your ticket!

regardless of where anyone goes never book a hotel in advance unless you want to pay hundreds of $$$$ over the real price. when you get to the airport find a tout to take you to guest houses between a certain price range and area that you want to be. booking before could leave you with a prepaid overpriced nightmare.

flatty! you're going to phillipines....the one place that i wouldnt go to, voluntarily?

well i havent been there since 97 and to tell you the truth...i liked it. i was born there but i dont remember much of it. the weather is very difficult to get used to. and dont eat jollibee because the meat is made out of meal worms (well i'm not so sure but thats what my aunt says). the islands are beautiful, meaning the outside islands. white sands, clear water, interesting sea life. it's just the city that i really dont like. but when i was there, i lived it up since my aunt is so damn frigin rich. damn frivolous bastard. in the city the traffic is fucked up...i mean fuuuuucked up. its a very interesting place if you are up for it.

so i'm half/half on it.

oh yea and dripofawish was right...poverty stricken. you'll have lil kids come up to you trying to sell sampaguita flower neckalces that their parents forced them to sell. squatters are pretty much what resides in the city. so you'll see a lot of man made metal houses. they are also very celebrity crazy out there. during lunch time, there are shows where people would be dancing for hours upon hours just dancing to like kylie minogue.

crazy.

but i do suggest going out of the city. the islands are so beautiful.

Damn, all these stories are making me want to go back.

I was there for a month almost exactly 2 years ago. The majority of the time I was in Manila, and what Dev said was right, the traffic is fucked up. I takes you at least an hour to get anywhere. Make sure to ride the jeepnys, or even better yet flag down a tricycle! They are motorcycles with sidecars that are much faster because they can fit where cars can't. Remember to negotiate your price before you get in and half of what they told me I was told is a decent price.

Its true about the kidnappings also. I went with my girlfriend at the time and her family there wouldn't even let me go across the street to get a beer. One time, at SM (Shoe Mart, these huge 6 floor mega malls) I wandered off to get some Jollibee (who cares what they say its made of, sooo good) while I was waiting for the ladies at the hair salon. Oh, thats another thing, I got pedicures and manicures every week there for about 2 bucks per, living in luxury, whut. Anyway, I went to get some food and play arcade games there for like an hour. Holy shit did they freak out when I showed up.

As for visiting the beaches and such, about 6 hours from Manila is a place called Hundred Islands. There is literally a hundred islands in one area. You can hire a boat to take you around to any number of the islands, even camp out on the secluded beaches there. Very beautiful.

I've heard alot about Cebu too. Unfortunately I never got to go. What I was told is that is more beautiful than Hawaii.

If you are going to stay more than 3 weeks and are not of Filipino decent, you need to get an extension stamp in your passport. I suggest sorting this out beforehand, you don't want to sit in an immigration office all day dealing with the ever so organized clerks there, trust me.

I'll probably have more to say on this as things come to mind, but I plan on going back someday. I had a great time.

Originally posted by Devilush

during lunch time, there are shows where people would be dancing for hours upon hours just dancing to like kylie minogue.

Eat Bulaga! I love that show! I watched it almost every day. The dancers are called The Sex Bomb Dancers. I couldn't understand a single word but that has to be the most entertaining show in the world.

PS. That'd be awesome if you'd send those Haw flakes with the Doc.

:)

My best friend is from cebu. His dad is some kind of local mafia figure over there and also a shaboo addict. He tells me all kinds of crazy things about that place, like in the cinemas, if you need to take a leak, you just do it on the back of the seat in front of you.

well if it helps Im almost positive that there are terrorists there!!!!!!!!unnnnnkaaaaaayyyyy

wasn't there a big computer virus generated from

the phillipines a lil while back? So its got that going for it too. A computer literate society is...

a society that can easily steal your passport and

make millions off selling people your identity so

they can travel to the US and compete for jobs

against you!

fuck... at least the computer hasnt reached africa yet.

My girlfriend is half filipino but born here(she`s been their once) and can`t speak a single word and she told me that their national sport was "Basketball" I was crying with laughter due to the average height of a filipino male is about 5ft!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another very funny thing is going round a filipino household and having every single woman in the family talking about a million mph all at the same time oh yeah and having xmas dinner with rice mad shit..But overall very nice friendly people, well the ones that i`ve met over here!!

Tho the girls mum, that was born there did say it can be very dangerous due to so many poor people and if you do go watch the prices in the shops double oor treble when you walk in!!

Originally posted by Evil Dee

My best friend is from cebu. His dad is some kind of local mafia figure over there and also a shaboo addict. He tells me all kinds of crazy things about that place, like in the cinemas, if you need to take a leak, you just do it on the back of the seat in front of you.

what is shaboo? i remember a filo friend telling me they did it.......