1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

PHILADELPHIA WEEKLY ARTICLE

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Comp Shoes, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Comp Shoes

Comp Shoes Guest

PHILADELPHIA WEEKLY ARTICLE

Discussion started by Comp Shoes - Oct 24, 2001

2. wakassOATH

wakassOATH Guest

wakassOATH - Replied Oct 24, 2001

nice i love reading graff articles

3. alkaline

alkaline 12oz Elite Member

alkaline - Replied Oct 24, 2001

That's a cool article.

alkaline - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  4. THE LAW

THE LAW Guest

THE LAW - Replied Oct 24, 2001

pretty nice. the article lacked any kind of cohesion or conclusion, but THE LAW still learned a lot of stuff he didn't know before and saw some nice flicks. although, why'd they show pieces if the article was about tags?

can anyone date that conrail (suroc/) freight in the bottom left corner?

5. assface

assface 12oz Member

assface - Replied Oct 24, 2001

They showed pieces because in the beginning of the article they state that tagging or doing prints originated in philadelphia. And after there were tags everywhere philly cats invented something bigger something more colorfull called pieceing. After that was refined for a couple of years some heads headed on the northbound i-95 and showed cats in newyork what time it was..werd.

assface - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  6. assface

assface 12oz Member

assface - Replied Oct 24, 2001

oops that last post was meant to be a quote from THELAW

assface - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  7. EL MASKO

EL MASKO 12oz Elite Member

EL MASKO - Replied Oct 24, 2001

Ahh DASAR...But where's the DICKO...CENSE...and ever so mysterious, LEMON?

EL MASKO - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. CONTWO

CONTWO 12oz Member

CONTWO - Replied Oct 24, 2001

shit,philly weakly sucks,and ill tell you why,i can get city paper on the corner,but philly weekly i have to go so far to get it its re-god damn -diculus,i think some one took the box like 2 years ago,and its never came back

CONTWO - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  9. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k 12oz Elite Member

bigpoppa.k - Replied Oct 24, 2001

you something new every day... and i like that.
    good article.

bigpoppa.k - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  10. THE LAW

THE LAW Guest

THE LAW - Replied Oct 24, 2001

Dicko and Cense aren't from philly.

11. niseNSF

niseNSF 12oz Member

niseNSF - Replied Oct 25, 2001

alright, here goes...i guess i always gotta run my big fat mouth on here, sooo skip ahead if you like:

first: the article sucks, just like almost every mainstream media take on graff (except for the rollingstone article on JA, which was incredible....), and heres why: graffiti is a pretty reclusive culture - a relatively small percent of the population think that it is anything more than scribble-scrabble. so, when you write an article, you can't presume any knowledge....not even that the reader knows the difference between "tag" and "piece". SO, EVERY SINGLE goddam articlle has to start with the "taki 183/cornbread" story and break down the "culture" for everyone....its like that movie "memento", we NEVER get past the foundational shit in any media exposure, cause we only get one story every two years or so, and when it comes, we gotta freshen up the city at large on who taki is again. my favorite is articles that mention that movie 'Turk 165' or whatever the number was.....if you compiled all the articles written on graff, youd think that goddam movie is like the bible or some shit!!! shit, ive never even seen that fuckin movie....

but ive digressed. this article doesnt really force feed the "history of graffiti" angle as much as others...but it was deeply misleading. it is pitched as a "where are they now" story of philly legends, and yes, 4 philly legends are interviewed....CORNBREAD, PRINK, SUROC and SUB...(if anyone can tell me why DASAR is included in an article about where writers form the 70 and 80s are today, please fill me in...) however, there is no "story" about what they are up to, or doing, or whatever.
    the first section details a hiphop show at El Taller....no history. the second section RETELLS the SAME cornbread anecdote ("there was this girl...whom i wanted to DEAL wit...") we all know from the first OTG video. its not AS irrelevant, but it still tells us nothing about what cornbread is doing NOW. yet it makes up like 25% of the entire feature. huh? the 3rd section briefly tells us that SUB now owns a barber shop...the first sign, almost 2/3rds thru the thing, of what ANYONE is doin now. it constitutes one sentence. then it goes back to old storytelling....a really poorly edited story of prinks childhood. then , the 4th section gives us more history that any philadelphian writer already knows....the KAP libertybell incident, mayor goodes "no more mr. nice guy, no more mr.blint" campaign (although the author doesnt even mention that campaign slogan...why?) and a strange indictment of white writers by SOUL in the last paragraph. did ANYONE edit this piece? the final section, the best part and only real quality part, is SUROC breaking down some real knowledge....the deal with punkrock's presence in graff, the idea that graff goes hand in hand with HUSTLING, not hiphop (as all you emo racking heads know all too well...this is too true) but even this short insight doesnt let anyone know what suroc is really up to, what the graffiti of 1970s and 1980s phildelphia begat. it lays the foundation, introduces some great characters, then ends. and ends with some trite bullshit i might add.

i cant be mad at the woman who wrote it i guess, shes just the next lemming in a long line to write a half assed crack at our culture. i actually have to give her credit for not employing one of the classic titles such as "the writing's on the wall" for the piece. (hell even the well written RollingStone piece was embarassingly titled "mean streaks") but you have to ask why these things are written. they are eternally dissapointing for writers. and they really never enlighten the non-graff crowd to anything that hasnt been written a hundred times. and thats even assuming they READ it...most average joes hate graffiti, and an article about the "nostalgia" of it all would probably baffle them...sorta like an article about what all the old carthiefs in the 70s are up to. so why split the difference? pick a side and please them. if your writing to the informed, than dont preach to the choir...skip the "taki 183" snore fest and write something new, soemthing like all the debates that writers have about fr8s/walls or even bombing vs legals or the pros and cons of mediums like etchbath...thats an article id enjoy reading. but if you cant do that, if youre gonna write the "everyman's" piece, write it in a way that reaches that audience....this article does neither. for the uninformed, it presumes theyve even HEARD of suroc, or sub, and that the reader is supposed to understand that they are legends in some circles...it totally assumes that joe construction worker is gonna be like, oh yeah, what IS suroc up to??? and for the other side, the writers like me that scooped up the paper immediately after seeing "cornbread returns", it totally turns out to be a dud. another halfassed snapshot of shit we all already know that is edited horribly, organized horribly and embarassing almost.
    i enjoyed reading the "savage love" column about horrible masturbation stories (on page 139) much more.

second: the fuckin pictures. the article features suroc, sub, prink, and cornbread. there are no prink pictures (excluding the photo OF him) and no sub (or RX) pictures. except the cover, there no cornbread photos. and, on the other hand, there are CREDIT, ESPO, BLINT, JAYC, AB63, and DAZER photos, yet they are not mentioned or described in the article at all. ????? 2 of the 3 LARGEST photos are by DASAR. he is not a writer from the 70s and 80s. i dont understand why theres any DASAR photos, but i guess if they do make sense, then why is only HE portrayed? i mean DASAR is well respected, but i hardly think any writer in philly would summarize philly's history as CORNBREAD--PRINK--SUROC--SUB--ESPO--DASAR. but hey, maybe thats me. KADISM, anyone? MB? KARAZ? ESTRO? etc.... if youre gonna include DASAR, what about PRAEZ? NOPE? MEAK? SAT? KAIR? etc?

all in all the whole article was a big cock tease cuz the only good thing about it as a fat front page photo of conrbread in front of a 2001 cornbread tag...30 years later he is STILL getting fame..thats the only worthwhile thing here. the whole inside feature smacks of this to me: some listings editor at PW hangs out at hip spots. meets writers. pitches idea to do cover story on graff, does 5 interviews, one with suroc, sub, prink, and cornbread. suroc drops knowledge, she relegates it to a few paragraphs. im sure sub had some shit to say, but that got cut. prink is promoting a video or something, so his part constitutes and ad basically, and cornbread really just wants his name on the front page. the 5th interview , im guessing, was with DASAR, who probably set up the contacts w/ suroc et. al. and explains why he's featured in article that has nothing to do with him. oh well....another bullshit drop in the bucket.

as for the posts already made....the LAW (as usual) hit it on the head....the articles sucks. its better than nothing, i guess, but maybe not. for whoever mentioned DICKO and CENSE....yeah, they arent from philly at all, but given the lack of cohesion in this article and the presence of DASAR pieces in an article about the 70s, it wouldnt surprise me if she HAD put DICKO and CENSE in there. no disrespect to them though....and finally, about the FR8 in the lower left hand corner, thats a DAZER fr8, an original ICY head from overbrook....the fr8 is most likely 1983-ish...and , in case you're doing the math, yes modern aerosol-type graff on frieght trains was ALSO started in philadelphia. AB63 and SUROC and DAZER wanted to paint subway trains like in NYC, but all that was in the neighborhood was some conrail flats they laid up on sidings of the R tracks...they painted them, oblivious to the fact that they traveled, and now, most fr8 buffs consider those some of the first ever done...(co flow mention "original fr8 hitter/AB 63" in their graff anthem LUNE TNS...and many fr8 heads have contacted suroc about his grandpa status, to which he told me responded "really?"...they had no idea what they started...)....anyways, i digress, this kinda info would actually make for good graff reading.....as opposed to the drivel for which we have all convened to discuss here.....

peace yall, my apologies to all you who suffer thru reading these long blowhard posts....what can i say, school is boring, im bored. so sue me.

niseNSF - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  12. KARD like WOE

KARD like WOE 12oz Senior Member

KARD like WOE - Replied Oct 25, 2001

mr niser tellin it like it is.... well the article kept me occupied for a few minutes now i gotta grab the paper....

KARD like WOE - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  13. kasmoney

kasmoney Guest

kasmoney - Replied Oct 25, 2001

read the paper while takin a shit..

NISE said more then the paper....just taught me the history of f8s...215...yaa knoe

14. mopius

mopius Guest

mopius - Replied Oct 25, 2001

i didn't read it all, i dont live there, but i heard it was cool

15. CONTWO

CONTWO 12oz Member

CONTWO - Replied Oct 26, 2001

nise should have wrote the article,it seemed hasitly done{even though its weekly,it seemed like work before lunchbreak]for example:it shows a guy with some nice converse on,with a can of paint,and it says something like"a completly unknown 80's grafitti writer sprays a wall in philadelphia"ummmmmm,thanks for the info philadelphia weekly,hats off to you and your inquisitive journalism

CONTWO - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages: