PGP

Guest imported_Tesseract

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah I use it, I used to a lot more though...

-----BEGIN PGP ENCRYPTED MESSAGE-----

mQCNAi3DID8AAAEEAMlcij7N6KgDsJnH8sANhkYzeXpJdFoztrwfSoQDVo1Qgot5

A2dr6eMaL9Qlc3aTc8AGD37ZA78wvIyoOr50izuDDoxUnlz1ke3x/NNz7Iwe6wKV

AExfMgVl0ZwmIGZsURsZ2nlvG/ksfylDdU3F3t5NFmTZX4pZ+qbBSWSDlCdBAAUR

tCJSdXNzZWxsIE5lbHNvbiA8bmVsc29uQGNyeW53ci5jb20+iQCVAwUQLwB/hl+A

NxjaDtyBAQGdwgP/RjPZ67+zwOZWd20qGnOnizbpEcLTgicbG+

SiAhfXukETra3f2rv71uNopfluB9MO0W0BSq3EuKFHEKqlnlHmH2LgUlFaqI9s7L

-----END PGP ENCRYPTED MESSAGE-----

my thoughts exactly, symbols

:haha:

i mean, i (like everyone) doesn't want anyone peeking in my windows, but

does it really matter if some secret agent sees your personal email?

i understand the principle behind homeboy fighting the lawsuits and agree that everyone should have the right to private communication, but you can see that the majority of people don't need super encryption.

ugh, i can see where this is going, so let me preface your responses by saying, yes, i do want the absoloute best expectation of privacy for every single e-transaction i ever am part of, right down to the stupidest, "hi, omg" email.

but alot of the time it isn't necessary.

i have to admit though, with some of the shit i've typed in emails (anyone remember seeking's rant about bush that his boss ended up seeing?) i do sometimes wonder if "they" can do some search on terms and find emails that those terms appear in.

however, if that is the case, i'd think they'd be overwhelmed by the amount of information they's be getting and would have no way to make use of it.

i still find the idea hilarious.

:privateeye:

Originally posted by The Leader@Feb 23 2005, 10:01 PM

I thought this was a topic about the fusion of Pop Gun War and Poop Man Bob.

"Pop Gun Poop"

Or poop gun war. Which would be no bueno.

I would use PGP, except, I dunno... I don't really write things that shouldn't be intercepted by The Man. In fact, I'd be surprised if anyone would waste the time trying to hack any of my email accounts. Ah well, pgp is cool if you need it or just like being covert.

Guest imported_Tesseract

I havent really used it yet, downloaded the program and plan to use it mostly out of respect to Zimmermann. I dunno how you see it but this whole story is very appealing to me. While i aint got nothing to hide it is some sort of pollitical choice, well..in the most fetish way that is. As far as 'being overwelmed by info' i agree, these guys must be getting so much 'bad' info from practically everywhere it should be impossible to narrow shit down and seperate the real threats from the small talk. However my theory on that and what really bugs me is that with the way shit works these days once you're targeted for whatever reason (see hesh's 'im on the nonfly list thread) theres so much shit collected from the internet your ass is burned easily. So yeah, i aint a terrorist or some paranoid freak but rights are cooler when you get to exercise them.

Beyond encryption PGP offers a pretty damn good 'wipe' system, That means files from your hard drive, camera memory stick or flash drives are sure to be deleted when you dont want them to exist anymore. I know this sounds paranoid again but if you witnessed just how far data recovery software goes like i did a week ago (out of my 128 mb memory stick, the software recovered nearly 5000 pictures i've shot the last year and half) you'd like to be assured the naked pictures of your girl wont flow into voyerism sites just cause some photo store employee had to go sherlok on your ass (your girls to be specific)

Thats about it

i wonder if osama used pgp.

thats the type of shit that its generally used for, not graffiti writers.

maybe if you needed to send your latest laundered books to the godfather? i dont know.

but the government does have ways to break it now, the way pgp works is that you generally have to write in a bunch of sentances as your "password". sometimes they can be up to a paragraph. but thanks to the patriot act the government can now enter homes at any time and place a computer bug in the keyboard that records all the keystrokes that are used (libraries, public computers, etc.). so then they take that info and apply it. break your password.

so...the solution? keep your "password" on a disk. only type it once initially and copy and paste it until you change it again.

im not really sure how this info would help someone on 12 but hey, you never know when theres somebody lurking just learning how to send communiques.

:yuck:

Guest imported_Tesseract

In the words of the man

Q: I heard that the police caught some criminals who were using PGP, and the only way they could have caught them was if they could crack PGP, so there clearly must be a back door. Can you confirm this? Come on, you can tell me, I won't tell anyone.

A: There are lots of ways that the police can get the evidence they need without breaking PGP. Sometimes they recover data from deleted plaintext files. Sometimes they install a keyboard sniffer on the target's computer, to capture his passphrase as he types it. Sometimes the target uses a weak passphrase that the police can guess by using a dictionary attack. Sometimes they plant a microphone in his office. Sometimes they use an informant. The list goes on and on. None of these methods rely on a cryptographic weakness or a back door in PGP.

If the police is placing a keyboard sniffer on you, you're on your way to get fucked to begin with. Having your passphrase on a disk is also not a very bright idea.

"so...the solution? keep your "password" on a disk. only type it once initially and copy and paste it until you change it again."

Don't know too terribly much about computers, but if you copy and paste something, then it's copied to your hard drive, which concievably could be recovered at any time.

Something interesting I saw was that in the public liscense for pgp it states that it's illegal to bring to russia and china, amongst other places.

Guest imported_Tesseract

and to be further paranoid, the best protection towards that would be to have to keyboards, one you use and one you connect to your comp everytime you leave home...there are some tiny USB keyboards that could only be connected fast just for passphrase entry

tesser...24 od

Originally posted by symbols@Feb 24 2005, 09:39 AM

i have to admit though, with some of the shit i've typed in emails (anyone remember seeking's rant about bush that his boss ended up seeing?) i do sometimes wonder if "they" can do some search on terms and find emails that those terms appear in.

however, if that is the case, i'd think they'd be overwhelmed by the amount of information they's be getting and would have no way to make use of it.

i still find the idea hilarious.

:privateeye:

Actually this is exactly the case. The government has programs such as ECHELON that scan everything. And I do mean everything, computers, cell phones, satellites, for key words and phrases. 7|-|47S \^/HY H4x0RZ T4||< LIEK TH1S.

But you are also correct about them being inundated with information. But that doesn't stop them from taking certain interests in certain people. Whether its actually justified, such as terrorist chatter, or not, like spying on activists. The fact that Negroponte is NID is enough to make me want to talk to my own mother in PGP.

And Knuckle_game, they can recover stuff from your hard drive, that's why they have utilities that can overwrite something thousands of times so the magnetic resonance is not retrievable.

Originally posted by Tesseract@Feb 25 2005, 03:52 PM

and i just said the dumpest thing...a keyboad sniffer is prolly a software in the computer, not in the keyboard...

Actually they do have sniffers that can intercept directly from the keyboard, some can be put inside the keyboard or along it's wires.... but they are kinda noticable and would require physical access to your computer to implant them. But most are software yeah...

*Edit... actually the proper term is Keyboard Logger. Sniffers scan network traffic.