PFPS (and other EVENTS in train tracking)

Guest L.RonHubbard

Guest L.RonHubbard

Ive been trackin some trains and I noticed that alot of them say PFPS or PUlled From Patron Siding under the EVENT category. Does anyone know if this has anything to do with being buffed? I know this is a pretty obscure question, but Im just curious if these trains are being re painted.Does anyone know the events that usually have to do with buffing?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

a patron siding is just a fancy term for the loading dock spot. PFPS just means the customers done with the car, and the railroad pulled the car from the dock, but it hasn't shown up anywhere else yet...

nothing to do with buffing

Im fairly certain it means the car was pulled out from where it was layed up... pulled from patron siding... taken away from the people that were using it... its in transit and no longer sitting at the spot

if its being buffed, the event report will show "home shop for repair" it doesnt always mean its getting repainted, maybe its getting the door lubed or something... but home shop means they are working on the car...

this isn't exactly about tracking, but i don't want to waste a new thread so. .

if you see a really mixed, short line with all kinds of cars, is it probably headed to a nearby repair yard? i can't think of another reason that all those different cars would be together in a line.

can some one help me out with this one.

thanks

Ese is on point about the short lines. In fact, if you don't already know the layups those cars are going to, and they're cars you might want to paint, then follow that train any way you can. You might turn up some new spots. The simplest-sounding strategy would be to hop the line and ride it, but that is a lousy idea for a bunch of reasons: you can't stay hidden from the crew on a short train, and the train may be getting shorter as it is dropped off in pieces at various customers. They could even drop all those cars off and come back to the yard with a single engine and you aren't invited, so you'd be stuck a bunch of miles from home. Hobos will always tell you never to get stuck on a local job. But note which direction that short train leaves your yard sometime, and then drive, bike, or walk a bunch of miles of track in that direction. There are probably layups out that way.

Just to expand on that point, experienced heads recon their territory very well and will often know routines, customers, and what cars are headed to what layups. They can look at that short mixed line and say "Those three are going to my hopper spot, those tanks are for Such&such Chemical, and WHOA...a BNSF flattie, that must be headed for the Keglatio siding, haven't seen that in a while. Maybe they're back in business." A pro will be able to rattle off every car's destination layup, and then check to see if the "good" side is clean or already pieced. (They know the route it will take to get to the layup, how it will be switched, and which way it will face once it's dropped at the customer, and then they can tell whether it's worth the trip to the spot, because the Mber and Jbue side will face the wall, but the other clean side will be fair game in the sweet spot behind the trees.)

allways do your homework!

yep having a atv, is nice 2 peep out layup's and drive down tracks out in the sticks and finding that new spot.....

Or buy a map and high light all railroads and find them and walk lines where u mite think theres a layup........"this works" ive found a lot of GOOD spot's this way out of town.... day and nite spot's rock.

gotta love them short lines 2!!!

thanks guys

the exception here is that there is no "yard" in the classic sense where i live, and although the are cars that are no doubt part of some small local jobs, they don't fit the description or patterns of those that usually head to my spots. i have done a fair amount of homework about what cars go where and i could probably let you know how long they'll be there and what the business is like etc. i guess i was wondering because my experience has been that none of the cars on these mixed lines end up in any of several local spots, so i assumed they might have some bigger purpose. i have followed them and they aren't dropping stuff for me to hit. that's why i asked about repairs etc. does that make sense?

anyway, ya'll still shed light on some things for me so, thanks again.

Guest L.RonHubbard

heres a new question...

]

waht is PCON or placement, constructive?? Does this usually entail buffing? someone let me know,

Constructive placement is when a car is placed in anticipation of its need. Like instead of sending back empty autoracks when they show up at the yard, sending them to a layup near the auto plant, so when they ARE needed, they just yank them out and spot them. nothing to do with buffing....stop being paranoid and pay attention. if its getting taken in it will show as "home shop" or "home shop for repair" or somthing along those lines. the key is to know where repairs are done, theres a chance it may not be flagged, but the destination will be a repair shop. 99% of the time it is flagged however....

Guest L.RonHubbard

yes yes yall, im a paranoid brotha. I cant help it, i check the train and it says something like construction, who knows what the fuck that means! a dumb ass like me is lead to believe construction could range from anything like door repair to buffing! Especially when its on a fat looking flat with some characters and nice colors. anyway thanks for straightening me out. I also emailed the one of the trackin sites askin about the events, was that a bad Idea??

Archived