performing and stage fright

Guest chicken bone

Guest chicken bone

For all you musicians out there, how do you go about reducing stage fright syndrome prior to performing?

Im competing in a DJ competition next month (don't ask) and normally this wouldn't bother me except for the fact that I've never battled before... Its kinda too late to pick up on experience too, this first battle being especially nerve racking for me because its a qualifier for the Vestax World DJ competition in Tokyo, Japan. Basically I'm just worried about my hands getting ice cold before I perform (a common thing with DJ's, I dunno about other people) thus rendering my hands useless and my scratching very sloppy.

There are really cool prizes too.. five hundred in cash, a new mixer, some apparel or whatnot, and a plane ticket to Tokyo.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

really i swear this works

just get yourself pumped up anyway you can...

- punch yourself in the face

-scream at people

be cocky...

- if you are the shit whos gonna be able to defeat you?

-plus girls love cocky guys so even if you lose you go home with a prize

double check your equipment and records befroe you leave so you arent sweatin balls about something going haywire

act cool and calm, because if you think you are, then you are.

get a good body rhythm going it will keep you loose

have fun you fuck, its not the end of the world :)

Guest willy.wonka

Re: really i swear this works

Originally posted by WhenOne

just get yourself pumped up anyway you can...

- punch yourself in the face

-scream at people

be cocky...

- if you are the shit whos gonna be able to defeat you?

-plus girls love cocky guys so even if you lose you go home with a prize

double check your equipment and records befroe you leave so you arent sweatin balls about something going haywire

act cool and calm, because if you think you are, then you are.

get a good body rhythm going it will keep you loose

have fun you fuck, its not the end of the world :)

good advice

well i went through the exact same thing in my first battle.. you just gotta be like "i dont give a fuck if i win or not" and not give a shit. have maybe 2 beers (no more) before the set and practice crabs and 2 clicks etc on somethin as much as you can. oh yeah, just look at the records and pretend the crowd isnt even there til the end of your set when you give them the obligatory 1 finger salute..

good luck yo, and post up some of your shit if you got an mp3 or sumthin.

edit - i cant fucking spell

Guest willy.wonka

for some reason when i first looked at this thread i thought it said "performing a stage fight"

i thought that was cool too.

Guest Stapler

Listen to a chill song that you like to put on when you just want to lay back. That normally helps when I have to rap in front of people

Guest trampled
Originally posted by chicken bone

Basically I'm just worried about my hands getting ice cold before I perform

well wear mittens then

Well, i do drama at school and I guess its not in the same league, but, whe i have to perform in front of the school i just chill backstage for a bit and talk to someone, a friend or whatever. just be as nonchalant about it as you can, onece you get going, it's like your the only one there. well, thats how it is with acting.

I sing in a band and for our first show I was so nervous I played with my back facing the crowd. Towards the end of our set my friend jim(guitar...) and pushed me to turn around forcing me to look at the crowd and it made me realize scene kids are gay and I don't give a fuck.

So the best thing to do is go out there like you don't give a fuck just be like, "Yo, holler at me dun, I'm bulletproof"

i knew someone who walked into a bar with his decks and mixer in a flight case and set them up in corner unbe known to the owners and rocked the place for all of a minute, before the bar staff figured out what the fuck was going on and threw him out.

im going to have to go with When on this, thats kinda what i do, just lose it... fucking go nuts and liten to my headphones. Pig Destroyer "starbelly" to be exact, on repeat. Then i pound some MD 20/20... then every thing seems good, i really dont have stage fright anymore. But i still do that shit to get me amped to fuck shit up and do the fish on stage.

yo i peed my pants my first dj battle.... but yo rub your hands make sure they are nice and warm and like they said be cocky and confident if you are all nervous you will lose confidence and its likely youll screw up...just get hyped throw on some dope shit by dj craze or somethin haha he always gets me hyped but yeah ive been out of that game for a while but its dope to see that you are goin to be in such a big competition let me know how it goes good luck...i need a new mixer! my fader is so worn! :(

oh yeah how long is your routine? and there might be a thread on this but all you dj's check this out go to http://battlesounds.com/transcription.html there they have scratch notation....it shows you how to read and write scratch music.....so you can put your compisition routine whatever down and like have another dj who knows the notaion can read it and do your routine :-p scratch wise at least .....they also have blank staffs there for print..... im not sure if you all have heard about it but its been out for a while i believe they showed about it at skratchcon 2000 but yeah anyway :D

Guest chicken bone

You have to perform a three minute set, then if you qualify for the second round, you have to perform another three minute set that same night. Whoever wins the second round takes the cake.

So basically I have to come up with two three minute sets, both really good, with the second one being better or just as good as the first.

The battle is on the 18th of September so I have some time to practice but I'm so lazy!!!

Avils I guess I'll post a file sometime, the only one I have on mp3 is a studio track I produced on the fly with a friend of mine rapping over it. It was a rather interesting experience (all the production is scratched, beat, bassline, etc... a la D-Styles, but a lot dirtier in terms of production quality).

Guest chicken bone

Jack & Jill (In Analogue)

OK so this was my first time in the studio, I agreed to produce a track with a friend of mine who does MC'ing on the side. I'm a lazy guy, so naturally I didn't really prepare, but instead brought a bunch of records. After a couple of hours this is what happened, and all I can say is its damn hard to scratch out a beat for a really long time, and keep that shit on the 4/4 without screwing up.

Also there was no space in the studio, so I had to use a low table, and I was scratching on my knees! For all you good DJ's there dont start clowning me, I KNOW that the majority of my scratches on this song are transformers (old school! yay!) and crabs.

Archived