Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

performing and stage fright

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by chicken bone, Aug 29, 2002.

1. chicken bone

chicken bone Guest

For all you musicians out there, how do you go about reducing stage fright syndrome prior to performing?

Im competing in a DJ competition next month (don't ask) and normally this wouldn't bother me except for the fact that I've never battled before... Its kinda too late to pick up on experience too, this first battle being especially nerve racking for me because its a qualifier for the Vestax World DJ competition in Tokyo, Japan. Basically I'm just worried about my hands getting ice cold before I perform (a common thing with DJ's, I dunno about other people) thus rendering my hands useless and my scratching very sloppy.

There are really cool prizes too.. five hundred in cash, a new mixer, some apparel or whatnot, and a plane ticket to Tokyo.

2. When

When 12oz Loyalist

really i swear this works

just get yourself pumped up anyway you can...
    - punch yourself in the face
    -scream at people

be cocky...
    - if you are the shit whos gonna be able to defeat you?
    -plus girls love cocky guys so even if you lose you go home with a prize

double check your equipment and records befroe you leave so you arent sweatin balls about something going haywire

act cool and calm, because if you think you are, then you are.

get a good body rhythm going it will keep you loose

have fun you fuck, its not the end of the world :)

3. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

just go out there nekkid.

4. When

When 12oz Loyalist

haha
    crab with your peepee

5. bodice_ripper

bodice_ripper Elite Member

It never bothers me because our band looks so odd (as a group of people) that I can't take it too seriously

6. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

Re: really i swear this works

good advice

7. avils

avils Senior Member

well i went through the exact same thing in my first battle.. you just gotta be like "i dont give a fuck if i win or not" and not give a shit. have maybe 2 beers (no more) before the set and practice crabs and 2 clicks etc on somethin as much as you can. oh yeah, just look at the records and pretend the crowd isnt even there til the end of your set when you give them the obligatory 1 finger salute..

good luck yo, and post up some of your shit if you got an mp3 or sumthin.

edit - i cant fucking spell

8. When

When 12oz Loyalist

off topic but...

anyone know where i can grab a copy of that 'acid jazz' music mixer program? i had it on my computer and then a few months back it dissappeared :( and i havent been able to find it anywhere

9. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

for some reason when i first looked at this thread i thought it said "performing a stage fight"

i thought that was cool too.

10. Stapler

Stapler Guest

Listen to a chill song that you like to put on when you just want to lay back. That normally helps when I have to rap in front of people

11. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

hahahahahahahaahahahahahaa

12. trampled

trampled Guest

well wear mittens then

13. wiseguy

wiseguy Elite Member

Well, i do drama at school and I guess its not in the same league, but, whe i have to perform in front of the school i just chill backstage for a bit and talk to someone, a friend or whatever. just be as nonchalant about it as you can, onece you get going, it's like your the only one there. well, thats how it is with acting.

14. TEEHEEHEE

TEEHEEHEE Member

I just try to do as much stupid stuff before the performance so that there's nothing else stoopid for me to do ;)

15. MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega Veteran Member

I sing in a band and for our first show I was so nervous I played with my back facing the crowd. Towards the end of our set my friend jim(guitar...) and pushed me to turn around forcing me to look at the crowd and it made me realize scene kids are gay and I don't give a fuck.
    So the best thing to do is go out there like you don't give a fuck just be like, "Yo, holler at me dun, I'm bulletproof"