Pepsi puts Sued MP3 Downloaders in Superbowl Ad

heavyLox

Some 20 teens sued by the Recording Industry Association of America, which accuses them of unauthorized downloads, will appear in a Pepsi-Cola ad that kicks off a two-month offer of up to 100 million free — and legal — downloads from Apple's iTunes, the leading online music seller.

The sassy ad, to be seen by Super Bowl's 88 million viewers on Feb 1, is a wink at the download hot button. Pepsi hopes the promotion will connect its flagship cola, as well as Sierra Mist and Diet Pepsi, with teens who've shown more affinity for bottled water, energy drinks and the Internet.

The ad identifies the teens as a "few of the kids sued for downloading music free off the Internet." RIAA has filed 914 lawsuits since it began cracking down in September, including 532 this week.

Annie Leith, a 14-year-old from Staten Island, appears with other downloaders in the ad, which features music by Green Day. The band cut a special version of the 1966 Bobby Fuller Four hit I Fought the Law for the ad, by BBDO, New York. In the ad, Leith holds a Pepsi and proclaims: "We are still going to download music for free off the Internet." Then the announcer says how: "Announcing the Pepsi iTunes Giveaway."

"It's all in good spirit," says Dave Burwick, chief marketer, Pepsi, North America. "This has been a huge cultural phenomenon. It's highly relevant and topical for consumers. We're turning people to buying music online vs. stealing it online."

Source: USA Today

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Europe

Its sucks we are not getting the full SuperBowl extravaganza over here, since all the high budget commercials are just for the american market. I get to see the local euro re-runs of B grade commercials.

But it sounds awesome. Its not gonna make me buy any Pepsi tough.

Guest BROWNer

i thought 'advocacy' of issues was against policy.

and..i don't see the big shit 'wow'

factor of some silly meaningless commercials

during a big silly game that means even less..

other than the grotesque airtime fee's.

I find it amussing that I can tape programs with my VCR and stock pile all those old Fat Albert episodes and the SAG(screen actors guild) or whoever hasn't decided to bring me down. Isn't VCR pirating almost the same thing as downloading on my computer?

Musicians are all greedy fucks.

I have never seen Bill Cosby rolling bling bling with a gay pink Landrover.

GZ

the riaa is freaking the fuck out about downloading music just like they freaked out when blank tapes were first made available to the public. "oh my god, we're all gonna be eating at denny's with the common folk! we can't let this happen!" oh, wait, the music industry has increased in profits something like TENFOLD since blank tapes came out.

fuckers.

Originally posted by geezpot

Musicians are all greedy fucks.

I have never seen Bill Cosby rolling bling bling with a gay pink Landrover.

Fat Albert's plastered all over your favorite

FuBu platinum/Fat Albert gear... The Cos is

paid.

...and taping an episode of Friends isn't exactly

the same as going out and downloading all of

your favorite independant artist's material. Those

shows are going to get their cut no matter what.

Thie shelf-life is also a week and the time and

effort put into scripting half of the garbage out

their pales in comparison to the personal time

and effort putting together a piece of music.

Not to say I'm not guilty of it... but like Teasola

up there, I sample and if I like, I purchase.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by BROWNer

i thought 'advocacy' of issues was against policy.

and..i don't see the big shit 'wow'

factor of some silly meaningless commercials

during a big silly game that means even less..

other than the grotesque airtime fee's.

Archived