PAYING FOR GRAFFITI

SCAGNETTI

HELLO!!! YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO PAY FOR GRAFFITI

ILLEGAL = FREE

THIS TOPIC ORIGINATES FROM ME BROWSING E-BAY YESTERDAY LOOKING FOR MOVIE POSTERS TO DECORATE MY WALLS

I CAME ACROSS PEOPLE SELLING FLICKS ON E-BAY

FLICKS!!!????

RARE FLICKS (HAHA) SO WHAT???

ARE YOU REALLY WILLING TO PURCHASE PHOTOGRAPHS OF GRAFFITI

IF YOU DO THAT, THEN YOU'RE A HOMOSEXUAL, NO IFS ANDS OR BUTTTS

I'M NOT STEPPING ON TOES IF YOU'RE SELLING THEM, CUS WE ALL KNOW A HUSTLE IS A HUSTLE, BUT IF YOU'RE BUYING THEM YOU'RE A SUCKER DUCK!

I'M NOT EVEN GETTING INTO THE CORNBALLS WHO BUY PAINT AND STICKERS AND SHIT, BUT THIS NEXT ONE TAKES THE CAKE:

I HEARD SOME HERB PAYED A COUPLE HUNDRED BUCKS FOR A BLACK-BOOK WITH PIECES IN IT (WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON??!!) THAT KIND OF SHIT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

CAN I GET A WITNESS?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

um i can be a "witness"

but i hate to tell you this, but its been going on for a long time....i guess ive just learned to shrug my shoulders and not let it bother me...plus who am i to impose any "rule"...

my one problem lies in your conflicting statement, how you seem to abolish any responsibility on behalf of the seller, but completely rip a new one on behalf of the buyer, calling them a "SUCKER DUCK"....so im confused....

what people choose to buy and sell is theyre own business mate , they can buy all the shit they like and i doubt theyre going to listen to you . people have bought weirder shit than photos , who are you to tell people what to buy ?

Guest MR BOJANGLES
Originally posted by ~KRYLON2~

why would you buy pics of graff when one you can get pics off the net for free...or juss buy a mag containing pictures WTF is the world coming to

i always say the exact same thing.

...marb red is the best smoke...

and im sorry if you thought i was patronizing, i wasnt...

basically you have a double standard...it doesnt make sense...you cant slam one and not the other...so the guy who sells em, isnt a "sellout"(sorry i cant think of a better term)?...you shoot your own arguement in the foot dood....dont get me wrong im right there with ya, as far as buying em, i just think that the seller has to claim some responsibility....

actually i would go as far to say that i have more distaste for the person who cops his shit on ebay...why?...well assuming he has put in quality time, he thus has the quality flicks, then one could easliy say that he should know better, he has been around...that they, the "toy"(another term i hate) buying the flicks, is just doing what he is being a "toy", and he is cheating himself...my shoebox sucks, but i still would want to flcik my own NACE or trade for it rather then get it off of ebay...but the guy that has put in the time should know the deal, and should either give it away to someone he deems worthy, or simply put in a shelf in the closet for when he is seventy...

but then again, i find shrugging shoulders to be the best approach, but im always down for general round table discussions....

id like to also add that your justification, or rather rationalization that making money cleans someone of any moral sense of right and wrong or duty to something he loves and puts work into is straight fucking repulsive, in my own opinion...that is the same fucking cop-out that the rich greedy tycoons and money grubbing folks use to justify it to themselves when they lie awake in their bed....hope you voted republican....and dont ever let me catch you bitchin' about a system that your are helping to keep intact....

Please do not take this as a personal attack, but stating opinions rather then fact is a weak way to present your point of view. Usually an argument backed up with valid facts and citations conveys a message better then an argument backed up with all opinion.

Also, being gay should not be something negative. Even if 1% of the US Population is gay, that still a WHOLE lot of gay people. Now imagine all these people beating you..Gay bashing is not tolerated these days..

if you pay to get your flics developed, are you a sucker? if you pay to get doubles of someone elses flics, are you a sucker? if you werent alive in 1974 to take pictures of NYC subways, and you buy an original flic, so you can have an 'original' piece of history, you're a sucker? sorry we all cant be as cool as you. perhaps if i changed y name to 'newport' and typed in all caps, the world would become more clear to me...

metallix, your absolutely right, however in this discussion the facts are known:

people are selling flicks, and people are buying flicks

...from here on out it is how you interpret those facts...there is no right or wrong here....its not really a factual arguement, it is an arguement of opinions, and these can get ugly real quick....

if i argue the world is flat, then yes you provide a basis of facts to discount my arguement...

but in this case its a question of like and dislike....

if your refering to my ranting about the evils of greed and the rationalization of it....then yes i was on a soap box and have no proof of my accusations...however experience has brought me to that point...im not just being a random anarchist....

i have no problem buying flicks and paying a nice price for them, provided that goes directly to the artist thats work is featured in the shot...for example, not that you all should need one..if i respect Mr.********'s work and come across him, since he is a artist that puts in a lot of work and and i like his or hers work, then i would have no problem breaking them off a nice price for a signed flick...in fact i feel good about it because i am supporting that artist and would feel completely at ease for paying lets say 20-40 cans of paint for a flick from ten years back...and again, im supporting the culture from within...since graffiti is done on other peoples shit and i view it as art and i like art and collect art, i cant really go buy walls and shit and canvas's are pricey, flicks are the next best thing, not to mention photography is a art within itself....but i can assure you wont find me on ebay shopping for flicks and filled black books......nahhhhh

Guest blink_ATX

yeah, what kinda idiot would buy a blackbook???? I would sell mine to some dumbass unsuspecting moron but if i ever saw my shit up on a wall, that fucker better hide, shiiiiiiiitttttt.

l0rd Ka0s

Originally posted by blink_ATX

yeah, what kinda idiot would buy a blackbook????

i believe one of DONDI's black book was auctioned off. would you be a moron for buying that? even if it cost you a thousand bucks? if you like someone's work, buying their blackbook would be no different than buying a hundred pieces of their artwork. no one is gonna buy your black book blink, because no one gives a shit about you.

of all the topics ive been ignoring lately, why the fuck did i chose to reply to this one?

"I CAME ACROSS PEOPLE SELLING FLICKS ON E-BAY

FLICKS!!!????

RARE FLICKS (HAHA) SO WHAT???

ARE YOU REALLY WILLING TO PURCHASE PHOTOGRAPHS OF GRAFFITI

"

you do it every time you have a roll developed....peace.

i have mixed feelings on this....i guess it all boils down to whos buying it....i dont agree with jonny hamptons, who has never driven out to the country to scour old hardware stores, sitting on the internet buying his paint collection but on the flip side if i decide i want to collect every color of rusto made in 81 and the one can i cant find and no one will trade pops up on ebay then yes, i may buy it depending on price. i just dont agree with someone buying theyre whole collection, wether it be flicks or paint.....half the fun is getting dusty rumaging through old hardware stores or sitting at the yard watching the trains go by.....i feel like if its readly availible (which a lot of the stuff on ebay is) then why buy it when with a little more work you can go out and get it yourself.......

on the same topic though, if your bitching about buying drawings or painting then your just being retarded......you go try and trade a canvas with daim jackass......

Originally posted by seeking

if you pay to get your flics developed, are you a sucker? if you pay to get doubles of someone elses flics, are you a sucker? if you werent alive in 1974 to take pictures of NYC subways, and you buy an original flic, so you can have an 'original' piece of history, you're a sucker? sorry we all cant be as cool as you. perhaps if i changed y name to 'newport' and typed in all caps, the world would become more clear to me...

i agree.

id like to also add that your justification, or rather rationalization that making money cleans someone of any moral sense of right and wrong or duty to something he loves and puts work into is straight fucking repulsive, in my own opinion...that is the same fucking cop-out that the rich greedy tycoons and money grubbing folks use to justify it to themselves when they lie awake in their bed....hope you voted republican....and dont ever let me catch you bitchin' about a system that your are helping to keep intact....

AFTER THOROUGHLY REVIEWING ALL THE RESPONSES TO MY LITTLE RANT I'VE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT ALL OF YOU ARE DORKS, EXCEPT MAYBE "INVALID" BECAUSE HE IS OBVIOUSLY PLAYING THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE, UNLIKE THE REST OF YOU WHO ONLY CHOSE TO REPLY BECAUSE IT'S A WAY OF RISING TO YOUR OWN DEFENSE BY SPEAKING IN GENERAL TERMS...YOU KNOW YOU DON'T PLAY BY THE RULES, AND YOU FEEL GUILTY THAT YOU PAY FOR PAINT AND GOT YOUR STYLE THIRD HAND FROM CHEESE-BALL MAGAZINES

AS FOR INVALID, I'M FEELING YOUR GENERAL ARGUMENT AND IT'S WELL THOUGHT OUT, BUT IT BAREY APPLIES TO THIS PARTICULAR DEBATE. MY LITTLE CRITIQUE HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH MORALITY, AND SINCE GRAFFITI WOULD BE CONSIDERED BY MOST PEOPLE'S ASSESSMENT AN IMMORAL ACT IN AND OF ITSELF, I'M SURE EXPLOITING IT FOR CASH ISN'T GOING TO PROVOKE ANY OUTRAGE ANY TIME SOON

SO I'M NOT JUSTIFYING THE ACTIONS OF THE BUYER OR THE SELLER, BUT CAN YOU REALLY KNOCK THE SELLER FOR EXPLOITING THE WEAKNESS OF SOME HERB THAT'S RETARDED ENOUGH TO PAY HIS HARD EARNED DOUGH FOR FLICKS OF SOME OTHER DUDE HE HAS WET DREAMS ABOUT? NEITHER IS RIGHT, AND NEITHER IS WRONG, BUT ONE OF THEM IS DEFINATELY A MARK (GUESS WHICH?!)

AND LASTLY I'M NOT TRYING TO JUSTIFY OR SUPPORT AN

EXPLOITATIVE CAPITALIST ATTITUDE, BUT AS WE ALL KNOW (OR AT LEAST YOU AND ME IN THIS THREAD) EVERYTHING THAT TAKES PLACE IN THIS COUNTRY TAKES PLACE ON MANY LEVELS EVEN AS IT RELIES ON THE EXACT SAME PRINCIPALS, LIKE IT OR NOT MICHAEL EISNER AND JOHN GOTTI ARE CUT FROM THE SAME CLOTH IN THAT REGARD, WE ALL GOTTA MAKE A BUCK...

AND I'M GOING TO TALK IN CAPS IF I FEEL LIKE IT (BY THE WAY)

Originally posted by MARLBORO RED

YOU KNOW YOU DON'T PLAY BY THE RULES, AND YOU FEEL GUILTY THAT YOU PAY FOR PAINT AND GOT YOUR STYLE THIRD HAND FROM CHEESE-BALL MAGAZINES....

AND SINCE GRAFFITI WOULD BE CONSIDERED BY MOST PEOPLE'S ASSESSMENT AN IMMORAL ACT IN AND OF ITSELF...

Exactly. Seeing as graffiti is frowned upon and rarely accepted by society, yet we ignore the majority, WHY ON EARTH WOULD WE AS WRITERS CARE WHAT OTHER WRITERS FEEL ARE THE "RULES"?

In reality, we all have far more pressing reasons to obey society's rules (ie arrest, fines etc...), than the lame ones laid down by this little subculture. And we don't. So bitch kids on the internet, layin' down tha law forreals, are pretty easy to ignore.

were you in my situation, location, you wouldn't be racking your paint either. I stay true to who *I* am, and where *I*'m from - not what's considered "real" in New York....

i thought i was speaking pretty specifically....

i dont mind paying for art. i have the resources and plan to one day make money off art. to make money off art people need to pay for it. to me buying art directly from the artist is cool...im not gonna be on the level these cats are on unless I either have a time machine and or lye really convincingly and further more i feel graffiti artists have the right to profit off their work since they put so much more into it than you average pussy abstract expensive art show yupped out fagshit that sells for grands....

and if thats not specific enough for you lemme know.

Archived